Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809208 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #990 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:25 pm »

Because of this all items in a stack need to be exact copies, since it's the same item.

Hmm, but even so, there would still be a sufficient bunch of items that would be quite identical, and therefore stack fine. These are drinks, food from traders, seeds, such things that stack but have no quality levels.

I could have sworn that drinks had hidden quality levels.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 03, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

I wonder if Toady has been complete enough to make it check whether fetching an empty barrel/bag/bin is quicker than just making two trips, when collecting two items.  (edit: I assumed they would fetch empty ones, but of course maybe they can pick up a half full container).

Hmm, but even so, there would still be a sufficient bunch of items that would be quite identical, and therefore stack fine.
Toady said he didn't want a partial solution as it would attract bug reports from people who can't understand why one thing can stack and another can't.  (edit: or maybe that was just in relation to two non-identical same-type items not stacking).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:19:42 pm by Lac »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 03, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »

Because of this all items in a stack need to be exact copies, since it's the same item.

Hmm, but even so, there would still be a sufficient bunch of items that would be quite identical, and therefore stack fine. These are drinks, food from traders, seeds, such things that stack but have no quality levels.

No, according to memory hacking (there are values for types of alcohol).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »

No, according to memory hacking (there are values for types of alcohol).

Are you really sure about that?
EDIT: I'm throwing this one to the Toad. Do drinks really have hidden quality levels? If not, then what causes the varying thought strings about "X had a (quality) drink lately"?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:46:43 pm by Torchy »

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 03, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »

EDIT: Sorry, I hit "quote" instead of "modify" again. I don't know how to delete the double-up.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »

Except that all these things can still have
a) different temperatures
b) different contaminants/coverings
c) different owners

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 03, 2012, 06:50:29 pm »

c) different owners

I don't know anything about how the temperature system works, but I'd assume once items are in a stack their temperature is handled as if they're a single object.

Different owners are already respected in the sense that they break stacking as it is. Surely you've seen a tile in your food stockpile that has

-Dwarven Flour Roast [23]-
-Dwarven Flour Roast-
-Dwarven Flour Roast-

Where the bottom two are claimed by members of your militia, and automatically prune off the stack even before they come to backpack them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

c) different owners

Not to be too much of a broken record, but once again, there already is a thread covering these exact topics.

a) Objects in the same stack are, as Torchy says, going to just be the same temperature.

b) If you stick an arrow covered in mud and blood into your quiver with all the other arrows, all your arrows are going to be muddy and bloody, although it might divide out the quantity of coverage by the stack.

c) Objects with different owners should just not be stacked at all, since that typically means that nobody but the owner should be handling them, anyway.  That makes it a non-issue.

None of these are serious problems.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 03, 2012, 07:26:04 pm »

Are you really sure about that?
EDIT: I'm throwing this one to the Toad. Do drinks really have hidden quality levels? If not, then what causes the varying thought strings about "X had a (quality) drink lately"?

At least as far as I know, drinks have a quality level - or rather, a monetary value - but it is determined solely by the plant used to make it. Sunshine is the most valuable drink, and gives the happiest thoughts. Neither brewer skill nor random chance at point of brewing affect the quality of the booze, though it would not be unreasonable if it did.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »

Farming will probably eventually become more difficult and work intensive to help use up surplus dwarves perviously destined for hauling. I'm sure they'll be needed elsewhere, too. I don't think spending time balancing it in the short term is important.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 03, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »

Farming will probably eventually become more difficult and work intensive to help use up surplus dwarves perviously destined for hauling. I'm sure they'll be needed elsewhere, too. I don't think spending time balancing it in the short term is important.

If we go in that vein, we could also go for mining that takes longer, as well, which will mean that there will be more stone to haul away, and will be more difficult to deal with, slowing down all the major resource generation methods, as well as significantly restricted migrations, so that labor itself is limited.

In fact, making all forms of resources (stone, food, metal, and possibly making wood take up more than one log for furniture the way that metal bars are doing now) more scarce is pretty much mandatory for the economics changes to ever make sense, as there is little meaning in complex trade mechanics when you can produce such tremendous quantities of valuable objects that you can buy out any caravan that ever comes.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 03, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »

If we go in that vein, we could also go for mining that takes longer, as well, which will mean that there will be more stone to haul away, and will be more difficult to deal with,

From the devlog that just got posted, it looks like you might be on the right track with that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 03, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »

Quote from: devlog

You can carve tracks in stone now. I haven't done the wooden/metal constructed tracks yet. I haven't done minecarts either, but that's next. Tracks can be carved in stone floors or stone ramps, and it keeps track of the four directions in each tile so that you can have adjacent parallel tracks or carve writing into your fort without using too many tiles. For minecarts to make sense for mining, we'll have to change how mining works, but I want to get the carts moving first. By the time we're done, we're hoping to have the mining system remain about the same for new people, so they don't have to worry about tracks to get started (this might involve default embark wheelbarrows which dwarves would automatically use), but things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.

Holy. Balls.

I want minetracks so bad right now. I've been using the same fort design since 40d. But next versions forts are going to be totally differently designed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

Huh. I didn't really think we'd get minecarts or tracks.

I wonder how Toady is going to deal with run away minecarts down hills?

I guess that depends minecarts are moved, and if Toady is going to let them have the ability to be loose and uncontrolled.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 03, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »

Personally, I'm hoping for mine carts that can be weaponized. I don't generally try to weaponize everything I get my hands on, but mine carts sound especially weaponizable to me.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 748