Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813271 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2012, 09:44:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is possible. All you need to do is build a ramp right below the tile you want to dig up into, then designate it for channeling, and your miners will indeed dig into it from below ^^

Sorry for the off-topic, just felt my input was needed ;P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:47:57 am by Manveru Taurënér »

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »

What I'd like to see in the next major release is more types of interactions and NPCs making use of them in actual play (for example, pouring a trail of powdered lignite/flammable substance to someone's house and then lighting the other end to commit arson while giving yourself enough leeway to run away).  I just think it would be interesting to have some random historical character hunt down a megabeast and, rather than slaying it, tie it up and force obedience onto it, then use it to terrorize a local city.  Or turn it into a tourist attraction and make money off it, I dunno.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

That might be because these are dwarves we are talking about. Not spiders or angels. To be able to drill a hole in the ceiling, they must first be able to reach it. I don't know what dwarf lore you have been reading up on, but I don't remember any dwarves being able to cling to ceilings or fly. Stairs are the only logical option at the moment.
Spider dwarf, spider dwarf... ♪ ♫  :D

(Agh, to hell with the spoiler tags.) First off, sometimes realism has to take a backseat to gameplay to make the game fun. For instance, dwarves only eat and drink once or twice a month, is that "logical" for you? Second, have you ever heard of steps or scaffolding?

It is possible. All you need to do is build a ramp right below the tile you want to dig up into, then designate it for channeling, and your miners will indeed dig into it from below ^^

Sorry for the off-topic, just felt my input was needed ;P

Thanks. This is definitely not common knowledge, as I basically "learned" the contrary from the forums. I still feel like you should be able to remove the ceiling without a ramp (scaffolding implied), though. The whole digging system is not intuitive at all as of now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:07:29 pm by isitanos »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »

i would like you to remove a 5x5x5 (oft presumed size of a 'tile') cube from above your head, with a pickaxe.

not meaning to bash you or anything but planning ahead is definately a core concept in dwarf fortress, as is dealing with not doing so, so consider how big you want a antechamber or whatever before building it, and work from there.

for already made mistakes, a team of masons can set up a grid of up stairs spaced every 4 spaces, miners can dig a down stair above them, than channel out the surrounding 3x3, then channel the down stair, after which the up stairs can be rapidly torn down, boom, 1 Z-level becomes 2 in under a season.

hope that helps.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:04 am »

Why did the release number jumped from .31 to .34 anyway?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

Because Toady estimated that old version is 31% of the mythical 1.00 and new is 34%
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:02 am »

But is that 3% just a guess or are there actually three things Toady finished, assuming 1.00 means 100 finished goals?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2012, 11:00:58 am »

Iirc toady is now over 100 (power)Goals and the Number in front just represents the number of mayor features.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:54 am »

Yea there actually are values for how much toward version 1.0 each finished feature is worth but Toady is the only one that knows them.  There was enough features added to bump it to .34 during that dry spell.    As far as I'm aware the numbers after the main version number just indicate bugfix releases and other features that don't add up to make a full .01 increase.

P.S. The versions 40D and previous were using a different method to calculate version number.  So this only applies to post 40D versions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:48:03 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:05 pm »

Because this is new major release?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:10 pm »

But is that 3% just a guess or are there actually three things Toady finished, assuming 1.00 means 100 finished goals?

Yes, the +3 means that specific items have been checked off on the dev list:
[...] on the subject of version numbering, 0.31 referred at the time to 31 of the specific dev 100 core items being finished.  Then we changed dev systems and the version number was on hold for a while.  Now it refers to being 0% complete done with a new list that counts for 0.69 of the version number, but the new slightly unsettled list pretty much corresponds to the old core items, so it's not much of a change.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean exactly 3 items, since some dev items are worth fractional amounts of a version number.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:02:07 pm by Footkerchief »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

Since this came up in another thread, I'd like to have a simple Word of Toad clarification of a certain subject:

What are bogeymen?

As in, what is their specific nature of existence? Are they fae creatures of another realm that only come to this world when the subject in question is alone?  Or are they a result of a subjective/mythic reality where fear itself creates them from the mind of the people they attack?  Or are they something else entirely?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2012, 11:02:33 pm »

You mentioned removing the ability for the vamp to accuse children. Does this mean that child vampires are not possible?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2012, 02:21:30 am »

You mentioned removing the ability for the vamp to accuse children. Does this mean that child vampires are not possible?

That can't be right. What about the child vampires I made with my well of unlife? Are they all bugs destined to be consigned to the cutting room floor?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 748