Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813350 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »

What's the best way to go about assembling this horde of zombies? Of course, once you've reached a certain level of capital, your undead investments start getting self-sustaining- that is, with enough zombies, you can be sure of killing (and then raising) anyone, with average losses of less than one zombie per peasant killed.

The difficult part is when you're starting out as a small business, and need a loan of, oh, a few dozen corpses. Anyone know a good way to get started there?

step 1: learn to raise dead people. difficulty: HOLY SHITZ 800 ZOMBIEZ.
step 2: raise those 800 zombies to fight for you. difficulty: boring, but worth it.
step 3: go 'explain' to the townspeople just how little much you like their stupid ass wondeful quests, and not being rewarded at all ever. difficulty: non-existent, but gratifying.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2012, 05:14:16 pm »

Wild animals.

No, seriously. If you find a pack of wild boars, just kill one, raise it, and follow it around if it goes charging off. It'll immediately target any living creatures it can find, which will likely be the rest of the pack if you kill it fast enough. Any living companions you have at the time will then try to kill your undead animals, which in turn will attempt to kill the companions. You can use this to your advantage by gathering a group of companions, going out into the wilderness, and raising everything they kill until the undead overwhelm your personal army, thus allowing you to raise the companions, too.

Then, just go back to town.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »

if youll excuse me... im gonna go play adv mode...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2012, 10:33:08 pm »

Man, I just realized I need to see if I can wipe out a city using a zombie horde. Now I just need to figure out how to make a zombie horde. Hmmmm... Can I recruit necromancers?
Oh yes, you can wipe out cities with a zombie horde. Though you can't recruit necromancers, you can learn the secrets of life and death yourself, raise some of the necro's old zombies and then go to town with them. A fight will immediately start as soon as your zombies see a living being. Sit and watch as your zombies kill tons of people, then raise their corpses and re-raise your zombies. Wash, rinse and repeat until you either crash from ludicrous amounts of zombies or kill everyone in the town.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:38 pm »

If you raise a necromancer, can they raise their own zombies?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »

If you raise a necromancer, can they raise their own zombies?
I don't think so, I swear I had a necromancer raise one of his buddies when I was clearing the tower but the necromancer zombie didn't do anything unusual.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:59 pm »

Towers would be a pain to clear out if necromancers could raise each other.  I think interactions are tied to their soul, so resurrected zombies shouldn't remember how to do any that they knew in life.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »

I would really like he followed his own goals for once. :)
After a long development like this one, it would be nice to have some short feature releases for a time at least. But it looks like big releases are more financially interesting. I can see their reasoning.

Oh C'mon... Really? You think goals that Toady already finished aren't his own? .... and the implication that toady is doing it for money! oh... are you from around here? Do we live in the same world? ...and I don't wanna stir up a discussion, just couldn't believe someone can have so distorted view....

I was referring to Toady setting objectives (for example, Release 1 - towns and markets) that was supposed to be fast, but took 11 months and ended up with much more than what he planned; the fact that he is now considering to change the other planned releases - it is not the first time he does this; and though he aren't doing it for money, he needs it to survive and it is a fact the long development cycles give more money... though I don't think he is doing it on purpose. But if he does, it is his right.
Come on, I'm Bay12's raging fanboy! :)
Maybe you should cite your claims? I haven't actually revisited this since the latest release (because it's a hassle), but by the math I did last time Toady released a big new version and people raised this claim Toady made less money overall when he doesn't update and then drops a big one than when he updates more consistently.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2012, 02:04:40 am »

After a long development like this one, it would be nice to have some short feature releases for a time at least. But it looks like big releases are more financially interesting. I can see their reasoning.

Oh C'mon... Really? You think goals that Toady already finished aren't his own? .... and the implication that toady is doing it for money! oh... are you from around here? Do we live in the same world? ...and I don't wanna stir up a discussion, just couldn't believe someone can have so distorted view....

I was referring to Toady setting objectives (for example, Release 1 - towns and markets) that was supposed to be fast, but took 11 months and ended up with much more than what he planned; the fact that he is now considering to change the other planned releases - it is not the first time he does this; and though he aren't doing it for money, he needs it to survive and it is a fact the long development cycles give more money... though I don't think he is doing it on purpose. But if he does, it is his right.
Maybe you should cite your claims? I haven't actually revisited this since the latest release (because it's a hassle), but by the math I did last time Toady released a big new version and people raised this claim Toady made less money overall when he doesn't update and then drops a big one than when he updates more consistently.

I didn't see the need to cite my claims because it was a casual observation, but here we go:

2011:     $42294.19 (Feature and bugfixes releases, first time annual donations decreased)
2010:     $54501.15 (DF2010 - April,month of the release, got Toady about 30% of the donations of the year)
2009:     $32516.44(no release year - more than the previous year)
2008:     $32318.46(various small releases)

Before the release of DF2010 the donations were dropping greatly, but that was a extreme long release cycle. This time this sharp decrease didn't happen, and this is a good sign.

Someone can prove that I'm wrong, but as I said, this is based on casual observation.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:07:05 am by thvaz »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:36 am »

Yeah, clearly the math should be actually done, particularly looking at the actual months of release in 2011. I ain't doing it tonight, though.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2012, 04:35:31 am »

WHOA did Toady get a LOT in February.

Once again I am back to wondering what exactly Toady spends his money on... Knowing it is probably something boring like food and water.

Major release. I thought it will "generate" more money than DF2010 [..since the playerbase must be much bigger now] but I was wrong, since DF2010's release = 16k income for Toady in that month. Weird. Oh well, it's still a very nice amount of cash.

.31 was released at the first of the month, while .34 was released halfway through the month. I assume some people first want to try out the new version for a few weeks before donating or have been waiting with playing it for whatever reason. I think Toady will make up for the extra 4k next month.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:39 am »

When travelling at night, travel map visibility is reduced to 1 tile, but the zoomed in travel map (which is great by the way) is unchanged. Is this to reflect the greater light sources near to towns or will this change?

Temples in cities appear to have above ground, constructed walls that are also engraved. This seems inconsistent with fortress mode (maybe humans know somthing that dwarves don't). Should we expect a change here?

I've never used the relevant tools to embark in places you're not intended to, but I assume the walls in question aren't actually "constuctions", it's just they look that way when you see them, and not carved into the ground.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:58 am »

*dbl post*, loving this laggy net.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:03:43 am by gimli »

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2012, 06:03:02 am »

I didn't see the need to cite my claims because it was a casual observation, but here we go:

2011:     $42294.19 (Feature and bugfixes releases, first time annual donations decreased)
2010:     $54501.15 (DF2010 - April,month of the release, got Toady about 30% of the donations of the year)
2009:     $32516.44(no release year - more than the previous year)
2008:     $32318.46(various small releases)

Before the release of DF2010 the donations were dropping greatly, but that was a extreme long release cycle. This time this sharp decrease didn't happen, and this is a good sign.

Someone can prove that I'm wrong, but as I said, this is based on casual observation.

Heh and you begin to wonder....if DF would be more player friendly [IE. Good UI, Fully separated gfx-txt -> proper tilesets, etc.] + the development would be faster -> *Toady turns into Notch*
Ok maybe he still wouldn't earn so much money like the Minecraft developer, but he would earn much more. However I think that Toady is absolutely okay with his current income. :)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2012, 10:46:41 am »

Okay I just started working with version 0.34.04.

Book names seem to follow a few set patterns as far as I've seen; I've counted multiple instances of the same name and even more instances where the name uses the same overall format but with different nouns.

When using the arena, I got it to crash by attempting to spawn a werebeast grasshopper man with grandmaster level in every combat skill.  It happens every time.

So, I'm assuming that Toady still has a laundry list of bugs to work over, and we should expect a new release soon.

Also, have the kobolds stopped dying of starvation yet?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 748