Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813351 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #330 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:35 pm »

There was some talk about doing the caravan arc out of order a little while back so, Which caravan arc topic will you be doing next?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

There was some talk about doing the caravan arc out of order a little while back so, Which caravan arc topic will you be doing next?
I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he'd reorganize the dev page to show the new order once he and ThreeToe worked it out. That said, from the last thread, release 5 and the personality rewrite from release 8 are strong contenders.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »

I can definately see the point of getting release 5 moved up, since that's essentially laying down another layer of depth to the game as big as adventure or fortress mode. Being able to see the changes in the world is a great thing, but it seems like having worldgen continue during play should be put off rather than bumped up seeing as how it really needs most of the things from the caravan arc to be at its full potential. Granted if we got it early I certainly wouldn't complain...
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 29, 2012, 03:53:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he'd reorganize the dev page to show the new order once he and ThreeToe worked it out. That said, from the last thread, release 5 and the personality rewrite from release 8 are strong contenders.

I would really like he followed his own goals for once. :)
After a long development like this one, it would be nice to have some short feature releases for a time at least. But it looks like big releases are more financially interesting. I can see their reasoning.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 29, 2012, 07:17:28 pm »

I've actually been looking forward to the personality rewrite -- due to how it is necessary/helpful for 95% of the features I'm most looking forward to -- ever since it was first listed. I'm hoping against hope that it's in Release 2 no matter how much longer it makes it take.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »

Ramped bodies of water

Especially hilarious on maps with waterfalls.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 29, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »

I was also really confused about people saying he 'ignored' fortress mode, seems people who complained were taking what is obvious in to consideration, but not the subtleties that add up.

also, i dont generally give a damn if YOUR not an adventure mode player, others like it, hell im not sure but some people may just play ONLY adventure mode and get mad about fortress mode getting more attention.

considering that the most fun thing to do is play a long standing world with multiple forts and adventurers, then im happy with adventure mode getting some attention, it has been sorely neglected for all too long.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:11 am »

Ramped bodies of water
Especially hilarious on maps with waterfalls.
Man, dem suicide fisherdorfs.  So many "missing" fisherdorfs.  So many. 
where is up?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2012, 12:57:19 am »

ah yeah, the missing thing makes fortress mode very interesting...

although there was a big fire and one of my woodcutters is 'missing', found a bronze axe and an artifact sock by the main road though...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:44 am »

All werecarp, all of them!

or... All were carp dat dunnit!

indeed interesting. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:40 am »

After a long development like this one, it would be nice to have some short feature releases for a time at least. But it looks like big releases are more financially interesting. I can see their reasoning.

Oh C'mon... Really? You think goals that Toady already finished aren't his own? .... and the implication that toady is doing it for money! oh... are you from around here? Do we live in the same world? ...and I don't wanna stir up a discussion, just couldn't believe someone can have so distorted view....
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2012, 07:06:53 am »

Oh C'mon... Really? You think goals that Toady already finished aren't his own? .... and the implication that toady is doing it for money! oh... are you from around here? Do we live in the same world? ...and I don't wanna stir up a discussion, just couldn't believe someone can have so distorted view....

I was referring to Toady setting objectives (for example, Release 1 - towns and markets) that was supposed to be fast, but took 11 months and ended up with much more than what he planned; the fact that he is now considering to change the other planned releases - it is not the first time he does this; and though he aren't doing it for money, he needs it to survive and it is a fact the long development cycles give more money... though I don't think he is doing it on purpose. But if he does, it is his right.
Come on, I'm Bay12's raging fanboy! :)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2012, 07:22:39 am »

Come on, I'm Bay12's raging fanboy! :)

It sickens me!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:07 am »

WHOA did Toady get a LOT in February.

Once again I am back to wondering what exactly Toady spends his money on... Knowing it is probably something boring like food and water.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:24 am »

WHOA did Toady get a LOT in February.

Once again I am back to wondering what exactly Toady spends his money on... Knowing it is probably something boring like food and water.

Major release. I thought it will "generate" more money than DF2010 [..since the playerbase must be much bigger now] but I was wrong, since DF2010's release = 16k income for Toady in that month. Weird. Oh well, it's still a very nice amount of cash.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 748