Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813403 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »

Considering these series of posts are getting increasingly ad hominem (which I need not remind anyone is in violation of the CoC,) can we pretty please give it a rest already?

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »

The point (which, granted, was very poorly articulated due to my emotional status at the time, and a lapse in judgement,) was that using a pejorative term to summarily dismiss one person's argument is just as easy to be turned around on someone else.  That is, if my statement can be easily dismissed as "nerd rage", his defenses of the game can be just as easily dismissed as "fanboyism".

Let's make a pool. How many here consider me a fanboy and how many consider you an annoying entitled nerd.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:39 pm »

Don't you think that inferring "traitor" on anyone who's already angry instead of trying to address their concerns in a reasonable manner might maybe make the problem worse?

I'm not inferring "traitor," I'm inferring
entitlement, loss of perspective, and a highly charged attitude toward the course of development.

I don't think you're some kind of threat; I just think you should take a deep breath, accept certain incontrovertible facts about DF, e.g. the donationware model and the pace/nature of development, and then, with those facts in mind, take the course of action that makes you happy instead of agonized.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:36:08 pm by Footkerchief »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:01 pm »

Let's make a pool. How many here consider me a fanboy and how many consider you an annoying entitled nerd.

Or we could remember that being hostile to people that are already angry at something usually just makes the problem worse. Mandatory subject change!

Is it sad that I'm just as exited for >80x25 support and the fixing of the TrueType not overwritting properly as I was for some of the previous bugfixes?

Thanks for all the great work you've been doing, Toady One and Baughn!

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't the game already support increasing the screen size beyond 80x25 tiles? Or did that stop working in 34.01, I haven't tried it yet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:28:50 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »

Hey.  Let's be friendly.  A new release is upon us!

Is this one likely to break saves from 0.34.02?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:17 pm »

Hey.  Let's be friendly.  A new release is upon us!

Is this one likely to break saves from 0.34.02?

Forts from 0.34.02 should work.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:52 pm »

Is it sad that I'm just as exited for >80x25 support and the fixing of the TrueType not overwritting properly as I was for some of the previous bugfixes?

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't the game already support increasing the screen size beyond 80x25 tiles?
Only map, try trade window, squads etc.

@Kohaku - I suggest you to start your own project - game/book/blog/webcomic/website/job, it will be more efficient to use your (usually very interesting) ideas in this way.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:26 pm »

Only map, try trade window, squads etc.

Oh, right. Nevermind.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2012, 05:34:38 pm »

I suggest we make a stupid flamewar tread, just so we can link it every time a 2 page fight starts.

on topic: yay for DF bugfix releases!!! (yes, THIS is the topic of the thread, DF, not arguing whos a fanboy.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »

I wish for a sarcasm font. I wasn't really suggesting to make a poll. I posted after another of his rage posts without even citing him, trying to change the subject but he keeps calling me a fanboy. The guy has an unhealthy obsession with Dwarf Fortress and keeps calling me to his flames.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2012, 06:43:28 pm »

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't the game already support increasing the screen size beyond 80x25 tiles? Or did that stop working in 34.01, I haven't tried it yet.

heh, i was confused in the same manner, youre not alone ;)

is there something like a specific sub-forum for posting real-life data formatted for easy access for toady? like a list of different material properties, or different lists of anatomical specifics for animals?

toady, how much do you think the "Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps" scheduled for the next arc-release will impact the gameplay of the different modes and does "Villager/farmer schedules/activities" have any implications for fortress-mode?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

I'd like to hear toady's thoughts on that too. I suspect that it might hit FM in a tangential way, perhaps Toady updates plant life cycles and to conform to yearly schedules like fall harvests, and then that gets ported over to FM, and then FM farmers have to have something to do, so we get various field upkeep tasks.

Of course, I may be totally wrong. But I'm hopeful...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »

snipstuff

See, I kind of like the combination of extreme realism in many areas with weird fantasy elements popping in in different areas. . .but of course YMMV, which is totally fine.

In any case, I may disagree with you, but I hope you choose to stick around, even if parts of the DF development philosophy rub you the wrong way.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »

Don't you think that inferring "traitor" on anyone who's already angry instead of trying to address their concerns in a reasonable manner might maybe make the problem worse?

I'm not inferring "traitor," I'm inferring
entitlement, loss of perspective, and a highly charged attitude toward the course of development.

I don't think you're some kind of threat; I just think you should take a deep breath, accept certain incontrovertible facts about DF, e.g. the donationware model and the pace/nature of development, and then, with those facts in mind, take the course of action that makes you happy instead of agonized.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but his agony is most likely not due to Toady's pace and nature of development - of which I'd classify as "slow" and "poorly done", respectively. It comes from this incredibly culty community who seem convinced that if you love something you must never recognize where it fails.

It is not entitlement to voice this opinion. It would be irresponsible, as both a consumer (and yes, we are consumers, just very non-traditional ones) and as a fan of Dwarf Fortress to stay silent about these issues. We can of course control the tone and tact - both of which I feel NW_Kohaku lacked - but that doesn't change the message.

Finally, I find it extremely disingenuous to try and end an argument with "just accept it". Reminds me of the classic internet argument where someone says "oh well, let's just stop fighting!" the moment they get the last word in. It puts the other party in a no-win situation where they are either criticized for continuing the argument or forced to stay silent.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but his agony is most likely not due to Toady's pace and nature of development - of which I'd classify as "slow" and "poorly done", respectively. It comes from this incredibly culty community who seem convinced that if you love something you must never recognize where it fails.

It is not entitlement to voice this opinion. It would be irresponsible, as both a consumer (and yes, we are consumers, just very non-traditional ones) and as a fan of Dwarf Fortress to stay silent about these issues. We can of course control the tone and tact - both of which I feel NW_Kohaku lacked - but that doesn't change the message.

Consumer semantics aside, I don't think I was disputing any of that:
People aren't telling you to chill out because they think each of your statements is wrong.  It's because your true/accurate/insightful points are surrounded by hysteria.

Finally, I find it extremely disingenuous to try and end an argument with "just accept it". Reminds me of the classic internet argument where someone says "oh well, let's just stop fighting!" the moment they get the last word in. It puts the other party in a no-win situation where they are either criticized for continuing the argument or forced to stay silent.

I didn't say "just accept it" as a blanket statement, I said "accept certain incontrovertible facts", which I didn't mean to include things like specific goals, features, bugs, etc.  The state of the game is subject to criticism, but to get angry about the donation model or the nature of development is completely futile.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:54:41 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 748