Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DF: Naughty Words Restored  (Read 13648 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Naughty Words Restored
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:44 am »

Toady has gone on record to say that what he doesn't want is for this game to become "that game with the rape".

That's pretty much the only thing keeping him from including reproductive organs, supposedly

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:54 pm »

Wouldn't "dirty words" ATTRACT said immature brats, rather than push them away?

I dunno 'bout ya'll, but the whiny brats are the ones INTO "adult" themes because they want to be seen as adult. People who are actually mature don't care if it's adult or not; it's a neutral attribute, not a positive one.

So yeah, fears of attracting "5 year old minecraft fans" are horribly unfounded. If anything it'd push them away a bit more, as they'd probably be here for the "blood guts magma death rawr" anyway.

im just horribly paranoid about little kids playing video games. i was playing minecraft in indev and onwards. i was around for the gradual decline of the various minecraft forums.

beleive it or not, there was a time when you could ask a question, and get a response other than "HHERR HE YUR A NUBZ"
or you could have a non whitelist server without moderators.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 12:10:54 am »

I think the issue is you're assuming idiots are all little kids.

Most jerks on the internet are 20 somethings that just got independent from their parents and are having delusions of grandeur.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:56 am »

that thought is even scarier as it implies that 20 year olds think like little kids.

frankly, it concerns me that im 16 and more mature than many people i have met.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 12:16:35 am »

im just horribly paranoid about little kidsidiots playing video games. i was playing minecraft in indev and onwards. i was around for the gradual decline of the various minecraft forums.

beleive it or not, there was a time when you could ask a question, and get a response other than "HHERR HE YUR A NUBZ"
Point still stands.

I feel your pain. I was there in creative. >.<
It's like watching your house slowly phase into the Silent Hill otherworld.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 12:18:42 am »

yeah... hang on, a lot of the older minecraft players play DF now i think.

interesting...

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:52 am »

My daughter is 10, she made "Anger Balls, the Balls of Anger"  And named her Brewer "Rapid Bladder"  I don't mind her being exposed to naughty words, she knows they are naughty.

I'm going to miss Incest rapes the incontinent bitch.

I am amused by the fact that this may get people poking about in the raws and making "naughty" words more prevalent.

This is something I can get behind.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 01:07:11 am »

im just horribly paranoid about little kidsidiots playing video games. i was playing minecraft in indev and onwards. i was around for the gradual decline of the various minecraft forums.

Point still stands.

I feel your pain. I was there in creative. >.<
It's like watching your house slowly phase into the Silent Hill otherworld.
I saw this exact degeneration happen when I was playing Rift for a short while. The game really is pretty, and the farming wasn't as bad as most MMOs, but the moment the game price was dropped to 20 bucks with a free month...

Ugh

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 01:26:19 am »

I think DF might be a bit too... complicated for uncouth heathens like that. its still a possibility. while the DF forums are filled with some fairly disturbing stuff, its current community is actually one of the most well behaved bunch of people ive ever had the pleasure to "meet." srsly, other forums are filled with the most violent bloody shit storms of hate and idiocy ive ever seen. so much so that they don't know how ashamed they should be, but I digress. this is the internet after all.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 01:29:43 am »

Honestly, I think most of the words were culled for the rather logical reason that they aren't part of everyday naming.

We save profanity and serious matters (like rape) for certain situations; that's why we don't have things like Rape Mountain or Fuckwad City.

Early exploration in this world gen seems to show that naming conventions better match up with what is being named, so it's likely that the words were purged because it's unlikely that anyone, anywhere, ever, would want to name a place Flaminganus Crater or the like.  They just served no purpose in naming, and since conversation isn't player controlled beyond the general topic you don't need a full vocabulary with cursing to play adventure mode.

Good to see it's possible to mod them back in, though; if you're really insistent on that sort of thing.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:56 am »

meh, i see your point. they were just worth a good chuckle now and then.

however when insults get more fleshed out this game may get very violent on the modded speech files side...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 01:45:58 am »

Well, some of the words are fairly reasonable - I don't think I'd want to adventure into the "Tower of Anusrape" no matter how brave I might be. 

Some are kind of strange, however.  For example, "pander" was culled.  I can't really understand why pander gets thrown into the same category as the rest.  Likewise, "incest", "nude", and "nudity", while being somewhat less than what you'd bring up in standard polite conversation aren't exactly bad words in and of themselves. 

I could conceive of coming across "The naked spire" in some sort of adventure.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:53 am »

Also, the verb "void" was culled. No idea why that was removed, either.

TheDude

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm, THE DUDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »

I'm using this mod in a series of mine!

If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101569.0

Thanks! :)
Hello, I'm THE DUDE: maniacal,incognito, and DWARFY!
M.I.D. / Best Teacher... Ever!

Link to my succession series: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101569.0

TheDude

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm, THE DUDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 09:10:19 pm »

This mod does work with D.F. version 0.34.02 as well, right?
Hello, I'm THE DUDE: maniacal,incognito, and DWARFY!
M.I.D. / Best Teacher... Ever!

Link to my succession series: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101569.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5