Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DF: Naughty Words Restored  (Read 13643 times)

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Naughty Words Restored
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »

A new version of the mod file is inbound.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »

It's possible Toady just found the words puerile, when half a decade ago, he didn't.

That's my thought too.  Sometimes the names could be amusing, but there are other times when they stick out like a sore thumb. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »

Well, some of the words are fairly reasonable - I don't think I'd want to adventure into the "Tower of Anusrape" no matter how brave I might be. 

Some are kind of strange, however.  For example, "pander" was culled.  I can't really understand why pander gets thrown into the same category as the rest.  Likewise, "incest", "nude", and "nudity", while being somewhat less than what you'd bring up in standard polite conversation aren't exactly bad words in and of themselves. 

I could conceive of coming across "The naked spire" in some sort of adventure.

Also, the verb "void" was culled. No idea why that was removed, either.

Hmm...some of them are interesting indeed, and without the Word of the Toad to guide us, we can only speculate why they were purged.  I'm sure it made sense, and the more I think of it the more I doubt it's because they were "no-no" words.  I'm guessing Toady figured they served no purpose and filled no need, and the game could do just fine without them.

What I want to know is when NEW words are coming that make sense.  A game about digging dwarves, and "miners" and "dig/digging" STILL aren't options!?  I'm getting awful tired of deciding to found a mining-centric fort in the mountains and being forced to use "picks" or the like for my group because of a lack of digging related words.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »

What I want to know is when NEW words are coming that make sense.  A game about digging dwarves, and "miners" and "dig/digging" STILL aren't options!?  I'm getting awful tired of deciding to found a mining-centric fort in the mountains and being forced to use "picks" or the like for my group because of a lack of digging related words.

There actually were some new words added, enough to make up for the ones removed (incidentally I agree on the reason for it: probably less to do with the moral censors getting offended, and more to do with those words just not working as person/place names, which is all DF uses the language files for anyway).

As for the specific words you're looking for, perhaps dwarves consider phrases like "digging dwarves" or "dwarven miners" to be redundant :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:00:47 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 01:25:37 am »

hopefully toady will replace the missing words (primarily used for goblins) with some words that will make goblins sound evil, but often make sense when read.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2012, 06:43:49 am »

The best solution to the problem of censorship, whether for or against it, is to take matters into our own hands.

Obviously, if the "naughty words list" can be restored, then it can't be that difficult for us to decide for ourselves, individually, what words we want, and don't want, showing up in our personal games.

I, for example, am going to give serious thought to what dwarfs would use for curse words, and then add them in.

I'll probably put the word "void" back in though...and maybe "pander", if I'm feeling particularly raunchy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:47:18 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:56 am »

I don't think I'd want to adventure into the "Tower of Anusrape" no matter how brave I might be. 

I've pulled this quotation from a more reasonable post than what I'm about to rail against. Still, the game had no bias towards calling an evil location "anusrape." It was simply a possibility. The game is fantasy. If there was a "Tower of Anusrape" next to your town in real life, you'd probably move(nobody wants to live next to a prison, hardy har!) but if you were a fantasy hero, you'd gather your resources and fight against such a thing. Thats the point of the game. To include "untoward" and awful possibilities is to include a compelling reason for action. I don't give a shit if elves' are being sold animal bone, I give a shit if people are being dragged to the "Tower of Anusrape." Moreover, Dwarf Fortress's naming and language generators often end up in unfortunate strings, but thats more to do with the unfinished state of the game than the concepts presented within it.

I dunno why the words were removed, maybe there's a good reason for it, but if that reason is that adult themes ought not to be in games, I couldn't disagree more.

Edit: And going even further, if you wanted to make a moral argument against roleplaying games it would be against the convention of splitting sides into "races." In real life, races of humans are differentiated by a sequence of genes that amounts to exactly nothing in terms of their potential for any of the things we might consider good or evil. That goblins are simply a different "race" than dwarves is a much more offensive trope than including the possibility of a location named "anusrape." You'd also notice that nowhere in Dwarf Fortress is the term "race" ever applied.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:24:44 am by varsens »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:01 am »

I swear if he says it was to make it more child freindly... the last thing we need is a horde of 5 year olds all over the forum saying "OMG THIZ GAM SUKZ MINCRAT EZ BETTERZZ WAHHH"

(if you are a DF player under the age of 12. fucking congratulations you are awesome, get this mod and go slay a goblin named incestslut.)
No one can argue that anything is child friendly.  This release has added literal blood raining from the sky and staining every patch of soil and every dwarf on the surface, along with actual zombie death hordes and necromancers.  There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that Toady (or anyone) could EVER argue that ANYTHING in DF was made to make things more gentle.

Except if you're the dwarves. (0:55)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 12:13:01 pm »

Except if you're the dwarves. (0:55)

I think you broke it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »

varsens: Very good point about the use of "race" as opposed to "species". I entirely agree. It's a technically incorrect throwback to the 19th and early 20th century, one with unfortunate implications, and it's past due to be fixed.

I think of Dwarf Fortress as much more a hobby, than a game, and I don't feel that it's being particularly marketed for or towards children, or suitable for anyone who isn't emotionally mature enough to self-censor their entertainment.

For instance, if you think of certain words as being objectively "naughty", and their use, regardless of circumstance or context, as being morally evil or bankrupting, but you aren't prepaired to either turn away from that content, or modify it, when given the tools to do so; and you desire someone else to make your moral judgements for you, thus stealing their time and blunting their creativity (both of which are precious commodities), then you're probably not emotionally mature enough to be allowed access to anything without proper adult supervision.

It's just like candy. If you're given unlimited access to healthy foods, and candy, and aren't capable of making the decision on your own to stop eating the candy before it makes you sick, and refuse to eat a healthy diet, then you're not mature enough to be given that level of access, and are at risk of developing serious health problems.

That doesn't mean or imply that there should be a burden placed on the candy manufacturers to come to your house and take your 17th candy bar away from you, or stop selling chocolate to the rest of us.

That's the responsibility of you, or your parents, and if you're 35 years old, maybe you should consider giving vegetables a second chance while you still have a few teeth left, and before they have to cut off your feet. 
For they would be your masters.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »

Somehow, I'm starting to get reminded of the "add urine" arguments...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the question is... do we expand upon our naughty-wordedness? Are you prepared to face KnobGobbler, the Slut of Incest?

We could probably pretty easily add quite a few more words to this dictionary.  A quick glance says it's only 2,189 words long.  Meanwhile, the English language has over 100,000 words.

Plus, I know there are procedural language-creating software programs that I've used in a mod for DF before, and you can feed the old language files into the programs as language roots, so that all the words will sound like the words already in the dictionary. 

Provided we get enough of the reasonable ones together, we might even convince Toady to use the (non-profane) ones, at that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:35 am »

I think part of the problem is simply the randomness of the name generations.  Having a fort named "Pissanus the Dung-Bitch of Hell" (Odthistagak Tigshimbil Shash for those of you who are curious) certainly fits if you're building a fort in a Terrifying freezing glacier out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but sphalerite to mine.  But would the same name apply to a volcano in a Serene forest, with plenty of natural resources for the dorfs to exploit?  The game can't really tell if you're embarking on a hellhole or some place that would be idyllic for a dwarf.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 02:25:00 am »

I think part of the problem is simply the randomness of the name generations.  Having a fort named "Pissanus the Dung-Bitch of Hell" (Odthistagak Tigshimbil Shash for those of you who are curious) certainly fits if you're building a fort in a Terrifying freezing glacier out in the middle of nowhere with nothing but sphalerite to mine.  But would the same name apply to a volcano in a Serene forest, with plenty of natural resources for the dorfs to exploit?  The game can't really tell if you're embarking on a hellhole or some place that would be idyllic for a dwarf.

Dwarves have a cull symbol for "Untoward" words, however.  The names that involve the "bad words" like Voidpanders are only used for demon or goblin-built sites. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:18 am »

So when you think about it, with this mod installed, the Dark Goblin Fortress of Pandersluts is entirely possible, the pleasant Human Hamlet of Whorepiss is never going to exist without further modded.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

Early exploration in this world gen seems to show that naming conventions better match up with what is being named, so it's likely that the words were purged because it's unlikely that anyone, anywhere, ever, would want to name a place Flaminganus Crater or the like.  They just served no purpose in naming, and since conversation isn't player controlled beyond the general topic you don't need a full vocabulary with cursing to play adventure mode.

I live in the UK.  We have places called Ramsbottom, Twatt, Cockermouth, Lickfold, Assloss, Bullyhole Bottom... the list goes on.  In fact, http://www.anglotopia.net/ultimate-list-of-funny-british-place-names/

Honestly, Flaminganus Crater could be a lovely little Welsh village.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5