Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1041577 times)

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6900 on: January 04, 2014, 06:08:11 am »

I started creating my own creature to make a playable civ eventually and severeral questions appeared.

1. Can one caste of creature transform into another one after the creature reaches certain age?(or can it have a chance to transform every several years)
2. Is it possible to restrict some professions for one caste and enable them for another?
3. Is there a way to make one caste be capable of chopping down trees without using tools?

The creature has a very rare caste, which is the only one capable of giving birth.
4. So will it be possible to force one to appear upon embark?

I am sorry if these questions were answered aleady, but i failed to find any suitable answers.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:40 am »

1. Yup. Give the creature a self targeted interaction that bestows a transform syndrome with a delay of several years. Check out the wiki on syndromes and interactions.
2. No idea, I think so but a better modder will know.
3. I don't think so, I'm afraid.
4. No idea. Don't think so - but if you try and embark enough times you will get one eventually.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:59 am »

2. Profession permissions are regulated per entity, not per caste, so you can't actually stop specific castes from doing specific jobs. What you can do, on the other hand, is set their skill rates in that job to never improve, but immediately decay (via [SKILL_RATE:<SKILL>:0:1:1:1]), so they never actually become good at what they're trying to do.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:11 am »

Hmm... Make sure that ALL of them are given caste names.  There is a slight possibility one is missing.
It looks more like the NAME is missing.

I haven't missed the creature NAME if thats what you mean, but I removed the creature CASTENAME (the one found under creature NAME), as this was creating several iterations of the same caste, and seemed like a mistake on my part, given I have a lot of castes.

I'm wondering, could it be because of caste-profession names are not present?
Ie, the civ has access to spears, but i didn't include ''profession-name'' or ''caste profession'' names for spear users?

the creature raws in question:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: January 04, 2014, 11:49:58 am »

That's probably it, maybe.  The caste names are fine, every caste has one, you did a good job there.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: January 04, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

Damn, just had an ambush from them - doesn't seem to be a profession problem as there were swordsmen and ''nothing'' swordsmen.

Could it be that the basic form of the creature is being called ''nothing''? Should I pick one of the castes and make that the basic creature type, and remove the now duplicated caste from the list, or is there a way to make sure the ''nothing'' caste is never spawned?

To be honest I think I've just been messy and missed something obvious.
I'll have a tinker anyway...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14:25 pm »

Okay, one problem I can see: some of the castes have caste specific attribute ranges, and I'm not sure whether those override the normal attribute range of cause problems, so it may or may not be an actual problem.

Vozhban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: January 04, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »

I am pretty sure that [USE_CASTE] creates a new caste itself. So no need to define one caste with both [CASTE] and [USE_CASTE] tag.
Also, there is no name defined for babies.
And I don't know if any of these really matters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:16 pm »

I started creating my own creature to make a playable civ eventually and severeral questions appeared.

1. Can one caste of creature transform into another one after the creature reaches certain age?(or can it have a chance to transform every several years)
2. Is it possible to restrict some professions for one caste and enable them for another?
3. Is there a way to make one caste be capable of chopping down trees without using tools?

The creature has a very rare caste, which is the only one capable of giving birth.

I am sorry if these questions were answered aleady, but i failed to find any suitable answers.

1. No, not at a certain age; also, transformations prevent other transformations.
2. No.
3. No.
4. No.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: January 04, 2014, 01:32:35 pm »

1. No, not at a certain age; also, transformations prevent other transformations.
2. No.
3. No.
4. No.

1. Technically yes to both, though if you want on the exact moment transformation then no. DFHack can get around the transform issue.
2.  If you have a manger and want to spend the time to restrict workshops to specific entity members, then I suppose that would work. With modding, no.
3 and 4. What Putnam said.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:09 pm »

1- Is there a way to turn off mandates and demands without having to abandon the save and create a new world? So annoying.

2- Is there a way to mod a guild representative into the elves so that I can pick and choose the stuff they bring? Is it possible without abandoning the save?

3- How can I make dragons more powerful? They are so wimpy. Can I give them iron scales? Will I need to create a new world to see the effects?
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: January 04, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

Is there a way to change the cooking reaction to require fuel?
It would add some more realism and make it a bit more difficult to create ridiculous amounts of wealth through high quality meals.

The kitchen workshop and cooking reaction cannot be found in the raws. Is it hard-coded?
Or am I looking in the wrong place?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »

1- Is there a way to turn off mandates and demands without having to abandon the save and create a new world? So annoying.

2- Is there a way to mod a guild representative into the elves so that I can pick and choose the stuff they bring? Is it possible without abandoning the save?

3- How can I make dragons more powerful? They are so wimpy. Can I give them iron scales? Will I need to create a new world to see the effects?

1. No, that would require modifying the entity.
2. I believe picking and choosing is only possible from your home civ. It would require a new world anyway.
3. You can do that by going into your dragons' raws (creature_standard.txt) and changing [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] to [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:IRON_TEMPLATE][SCALE]. No regen required.

Is there a way to change the cooking reaction to require fuel?
It would add some more realism and make it a bit more difficult to create ridiculous amounts of wealth through high quality meals.

The kitchen workshop and cooking reaction cannot be found in the raws. Is it hard-coded?
Or am I looking in the wrong place?

The cooking reaction is much too complex for the raw's reaction type capability. It's hardcoded.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

3. You can do that by going into your dragons' raws (creature_standard.txt) and changing [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] to [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:IRON_TEMPLATE][SCALE]. No regen required.

No you cannot. IRON_TEMPLATE doesn't exist. You'll have to use METAL_TEMPLATE then copy+paste iron's properties.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: January 04, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »

No you cannot. IRON_TEMPLATE doesn't exist. You'll have to use METAL_TEMPLATE then copy+paste iron's properties.
Erm, yes. What he said.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 544