Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1041735 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6660 on: December 03, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Putnam.

If I understand you correctly then, I need to make new higher value leathers etc, and assign them to the new castes, to replace the standard creatures leathers etc. Is that right?

I've had a quick search, but can't find where meat is defined in the raws... How do I change its value, or is it derived from the muscle layer?

Sorry for not understanding, I'm still getting to grips with modding.

Meat is muscle with its name changed by the [MEAT_NAME:prefix:name:adjective] token.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: December 03, 2013, 03:14:19 pm »

AH, got it! Thanks BlackFlyme!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:50 pm »

Trying to understand plant raws so that I can better handle them in my python utilities. I know what all the tags do, but I am unsure of exactly how the game parses them, for example:

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:VINE_WHIP]
[NAME:whip vine][NAME_PLURAL:whip vines][ADJ:whip vine]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE][REACTION_CLASS:CAN_MILL]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[DRY][SAVAGE][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BREAD:BREAD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:whip vine bread]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:6]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE][REACTION_CLASS:UNSEASONED]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen whip wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:whip wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling whip wine]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:1]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CUSTOM_MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL][USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:whip vine flour]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AZURE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREAD_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:BREAD]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]

[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN]
[GROWDUR:1008]

[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:length]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[SEED:whip vine seed:whip vine seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[PICKED_TILE:182][DEAD_PICKED_TILE:21]
[SHRUB_TILE:182]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:182]
[PICKED_COLOR:2:2:1]
[SHRUB_COLOR:2:2:1][DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:6:6:0]

This crop has several different Material Templates inside of it, now I am assuming that, like Castes in creatures, everytime you declare a new material template it starts anew and what you put beneath it is just for that material template. Except, unlike castes, there is no SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL token. How does the game know that certain tags go to the whole plant and others just go to the material? Do certain tags act as "reset" tags? If for instance I were to move SPRING to it's new position would the game freak out and try to apply the tags below it to the whole plant?

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:whip vine flour]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AZURE]
   ====>[SPRING]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREAD_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:BREAD]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]

[SUMMER][AUTUMN]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: December 03, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »

BTW, in creatures, materials are creature-level, not caste-level. It would be a more apt comparison to compare with creature mats than creature castes.

And yes, any non-material definition tokens will be counted as plant tokens. The same is true for creatures; in fact, except for the lack of SELECT_MATERIAL:X, plant materials are identical to creature materials in every way.

It would give you an errorlog for the material definition tokens if you put a plant token smack in the middle of a material definition.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »

And yes, any non-material definition tokens will be counted as plant tokens. The same is true for creatures; in fact, except for the lack of SELECT_MATERIAL:X, plant materials are identical to creature materials in every way.

Hmm I did not know that, so putting something like

[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[BIOME:ALL_LAND]

would be equivalent to

[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

since biome tags are creature level and not caste level?

I will have to think of an appropriate way to parse the materials in python then. Maybe I can just pull them out by looking for non-material tokens... Experimenting time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: December 03, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »

No, not at all. I was saying that materials are not to be compared to castes in any way, shape or form, that their selection is incomparable.

This:
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[BLOODSUCKER]

Will give only the MALE caste BLOODSUCKER.

I'm saying that you should be comparing to creature materials.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »

Ah, I misunderstood. Makes things a bit more complicated. Wish there was more of a universal structure to raws. Each modder seems to do things a different way. Makes writing programs that will handle all raw formats rather tedious.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: December 04, 2013, 11:41:41 am »

Here's the skinny.

I want to make a creature that reproduces through "budding", i.e. the creature does not have normal children, and instead propagates through a mitosis-type method.  This is the mechanism I've worked out so far (I am retarded at interactions):

• Primary Creature (immobile) drops limbs due to melting connective tissue.
  • Primary Creature animates dropped limbs through targeted interaction.  The animated limbs will also be (immobile) and as such occupy the same square as the Primary Creature.
  • Primary Creature targets the animated limbs with body transformation syndrome to convert them into Larval Creature.
  • Upon reaching the syndrome end time, the body transformation expires on the Larval Creature, causing it to revert to a fully functional and intact Primary Creature.
  • The new Primary Creature melt-drops limbs and begins the process over again.

The concern I have is: when the body transformation syndrome expires, does the creature revert back to an animated creature, or is it just the plain old base creature?  Will the creature retain loyalties when it transforms back, or will it be wild?

My current guess to this is: revert back to animated -> No ; retain loyalties -> No.

Is there anything I'm missing from the interaction chain above?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »

Make the limb a [HEAD]. Use a resurrection interaction, not an animation interaction. Almost everything can be animated, but not everything that can be animated can be resurrected. Resurrected creatures retain their loyalties, animated creatures blindly follow their reanimator, which can cause problems if the reanimator is a living creature.

I'm not experienced with interactions, so this is the extent of my input.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: December 04, 2013, 01:22:55 pm »

Can [HEAD] bodyparts be resurrected?  I thought only remains with the [UPPERBODY] category were fit for resurrection.  My understanding was that loss of any bodypart with the [UPPERBODY] category resulted in death.  If I have a chance I will fiddle with this.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »

Can [HEAD] bodyparts be resurrected?  I thought only remains with the [UPPERBODY] category were fit for resurrection.  My understanding was that loss of any bodypart with the [UPPERBODY] category resulted in death.  If I have a chance I will fiddle with this.

I tested a resurrection interaction in the arena mode, and it worked on a severed head. It eventually suffocated, though.

I know that losing a [LOWERBODY] will always result in death, so I imagine it applies to [UPPERBODY] as well.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: December 04, 2013, 04:14:44 pm »

Thats good info BlackFlyme, thanks.  I will test it out tonight

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »

I want to make a creature that reproduces through "budding", i.e. the creature does not have normal children, and instead propagates through a mitosis-type method... [snip]

That's a creative design and solution. I'd love to see the end result of your experiments.

Primary Creature (immobile) drops limbs due to melting connective tissue.

By "due to melting connective tissue", are you talking about using a "necrosis" type syndrome that specifically targets the connective tissue?

Question: Wouldn't the necrosis of connective tissue and having a body part fall off (i.e., having something "rot" off) result in the creature either bleeding to death or eventually succumb to infection?

Or, to avoid the above scenario, is it absolutely necessary to leave out the [GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS] and [GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT] tags?

I'm reminded of scenarios like this where a forgotten beast syndrome causes creatures' feet to rot, inevitably resulting in infection and death. (It's too bad the hospital can't amputate to save them.)

Some time ago, threads like this inspired me to use a necrosis syndrome to target the genitals of livestock and sterilize them to control breeding. (The old Genesis Mod had genitals.) For one thing, I was hoping this would make it easier to prevent catplosions. Unfortunately, that would not actually sterilize them. That, and I worried about infection and bleeding to death.

However, through DFHack's new TrueTransform I suppose it should now be possible to also transform them into a [Neuter] caste. (But by mentioning this system, I figure it won't be long before some ambitious and twisted player decides to have a pool of this syndrome liquid near their Depot to sterilize those annoying, tree-hugging pests Elven caravans. :P )

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: December 04, 2013, 07:18:03 pm »

[Deleted] (Double posted due to major server lag.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:20:28 pm by Thundercraft »

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:47 am »

Melting a connective tissue doesn't require necrosis.  In a custom body plan, the limb is simply connected to the rest of the body by a secondary bodypart, like an upper-upperarm.  Make the upper-upperarm out of a material that melts at standard temperature (like water).  When the creature transforms the water will melt, causing the rest of the disconnected body part to drop as a limb (corpsepiece).

Using the resurrection scheme, the following is the method I am working on building

Creature drops 3 extraneous head body parts that are connected to the upperbody by melting necks.  The 3 heads are made out of a new creature_mat called SPORE.
Creature resurrects the heads via targeting the SPORE material
Resurrected heads target selves with transformation syndrome

However, can you target materials, rather than creatures, with interactions?  I would like it because it would negate the possibility of the creatures accidentally resurrecting each other if they die from other causes.

For example:  If the dropped heads were made out of a creature_mat SPORE, would this be a valid interaction string?

I_TARGET:spore:MATERIAL
       IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:Creature:SPORE:FLOW
     I_EFFECT:RESURRECT
       IE_TARGET:spore
       IE_IMMEDIATE
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 544