Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1041750 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #6630 on: November 27, 2013, 09:22:31 pm »

I've got a question about skins vs. leathers. Looking at the material templates I see [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] in the SKIN_TEMPLATE but nothing in the LEATHER_TEMPLATE about tanning, so I thought that leather was just used after it's been tanned, but I see in the body detail plan that there is [ADD_MATERIAL:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE], so that means the leather is being added to the creature, but isn't made when butchering the creature?

I ask because I am looking at the small mods like 'More leather mod' and 'More of less leather', and I can follow the instructions (got both working in my mod), but I don't really understand why they work.

Can anyone explain it a bit to me?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: November 27, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

I've got a question about skins vs. leathers. Looking at the material templates I see [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] in the SKIN_TEMPLATE but nothing in the LEATHER_TEMPLATE about tanning, so I thought that leather was just used after it's been tanned, but I see in the body detail plan that there is [ADD_MATERIAL:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE], so that means the leather is being added to the creature, but isn't made when butchering the creature?

I ask because I am looking at the small mods like 'More leather mod' and 'More of less leather', and I can follow the instructions (got both working in my mod), but I don't really understand why they work.

Can anyone explain it a bit to me?

Material reaction products are to turn one material into another when told to by a reaction. Since the material that the reaction asks for is a local creature material, the creature must have that material for the reaction to work. If animals did not have leather, then the product of a tanning reaction would not be leather, it would be the first material defined within the creature.

I learned this the hard way trying to make dragonscale leather, when I did not add the dragonscale material to dragons. When I ran the reaction, instead of giving me dragonscale I was given a piece of fat, because that was the first material that the dragon had.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: November 27, 2013, 11:19:16 pm »

That makes sense. So if I wanted to make a creature tougher is improving their skin or their leather material going to have more of an effect? And similarly, if I want armor made from their leather to be tougher, which one should I be more concerned with?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: November 27, 2013, 11:32:19 pm »

That makes sense. So if I wanted to make a creature tougher is improving their skin or their leather material going to have more of an effect? And similarly, if I want armor made from their leather to be tougher, which one should I be more concerned with?

To make creatures tougher, improve skin. To make armour tougher, improve leather.

While most animals have leather, it isn't actually assigned anywhere, so improving leather will not have an effect on a creature's toughness.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: November 27, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »

Excellent, thanks!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6635 on: November 28, 2013, 01:47:43 am »

Excellent, thanks!
Dont forget pain receptors and broken bones. Doesnt matter if the skin is better if the creature passes out and is one-shoted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: November 28, 2013, 05:14:56 am »

I already have tougher bones and such, will make sure to check pain receptors, although most of the tougher creatures I make I give the NOPAIN tag to, just because I don't want them doubling over in pain when they get a little nick.

blazing glory

« Reply #6637 on: November 29, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »

I already have tougher bones and such, will make sure to check pain receptors, although most of the tougher creatures I make I give the NOPAIN tag to, just because I don't want them doubling over in pain when they get a little nick.

could use that for my adventurer

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »

I'm trying to have this creature usable for war by the elves, in a similar way the goblins use trolls.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yet they seem to ignore them during worldgen. Am I missing something obvious?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: November 29, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »

If you wanted to make some creature die when it enters the map, how would you guys do it? I've tried removing the lungs of ravens, increasing homeotherm (which should have made them explode in flames?), and making the standard materials of the body plan thing to plaster, though it may have just been the feathers.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: November 29, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »

I'm trying to have this creature usable for war by the elves, in a similar way the goblins use trolls.

It could be that they may not have access to the treants. Since treants are [GOOD] they will only live in good forests, but elves can live in any forest, so the distance between them may be the reason.

If you wanted to make some creature die when it enters the map, how would you guys do it? I've tried removing the lungs of ravens, increasing homeotherm (which should have made them explode in flames?), and making the standard materials of the body plan thing to plaster, though it may have just been the feathers.

I've tried removing lungs before, but for some reason it refused to work. When you increased the homeotherm, did you do it to the save's raws or to the main raws?

Also, changing the material of a creature shouldn't do anything, unless that material melts, boils, or takes damage at low temperatures.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: November 29, 2013, 11:39:29 pm »

It could be that they may not have access to the treants. Since treants are [GOOD] they will only live in good forests, but elves can live in any forest, so the distance between them may be the reason.

I've tried removing lungs before, but for some reason it refused to work. When you increased the homeotherm, did you do it to the save's raws or to the main raws?

*facepalm* Good catch, yeah I did it in the main raws.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:37 am »

They did have access to good forests, I made sure of that. I'm starting to think it may be because they lack a CHILD tag, and a means to reproduce.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed that the non-oak treants are using oak wood tissue, but still drop their appropriate log on death. Is there a way to define a tissue material to a particular caste? Or did I mess up the castes?
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: November 30, 2013, 12:21:03 am »

They did have access to good forests, I made sure of that. I'm starting to think it may be because they lack a CHILD tag, and a means to reproduce.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed that the non-oak treants are using oak wood tissue, but still drop their appropriate log on death. Is there a way to define a tissue material to a particular caste? Or did I mess up the castes?

It may just be luck, as taming a creature requires a member of the civilization to seek out and tame them in world-gen. But they will need a means to reproduce.

As for the tissues, the problem is that you gave them all the same name. Because they all have the same name, the game will by default only use the first. All your trees are made of oak, but they drop their appropriate logs because of the item corpse token.

I had the same problem before when I was working on "living" weapons.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:09 am »

Ah, Thanks! Works great now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:30:08 am by Witty »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 544