Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I probably shouldn't be posting this...  (Read 8484 times)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I probably shouldn't be posting this...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »

This is a valid point. I also love the elves, particularly their supple women, but I would not wish to be one.

I agree, women elves do taste the best. Err, that's what you mean right?

Anyways, elves were not always the pansy-asses they are today. If anyone here has read anything by R.A. Salvatore you will know that elves who prefer to be badass over pansies are significantly more dwarfy. They're fine with metals and killing things as long as they do it kosher or whatever. I mean it's just when orcs cut their shit down... Anyways, elves are only as badass as they are perceived. DF ones... pansies.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »

In a manner of speaking, I suppose that's one aspect of it.

Anyways, elves were not always the pansy-asses they are today. If anyone here has read anything by R.A. Salvatore you will know that elves who prefer to be badass over pansies are significantly more dwarfy. They're fine with metals and killing things as long as they do it kosher or whatever. I mean it's just when orcs cut their shit down... Anyways, elves are only as badass as they are perceived. DF ones... pansies.
In some parts of Norse mythology, elves were known as "light elves" and dwarves were referred to as "dark elves". The two races tended not to like each other much, iirc.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 04:58:59 pm »

This is a valid point. I also love the elves, particularly their supple women, but I would not wish to be one.

Salvatore does elves well, but I still think he's missing some of their potential.

Just to point it out, in my stories it's the Elves, not the Dwarves or Humans or any of the other races who create all the fancy technology* as well as the best weapons and machines.

*To put it simply, yes, those elves did just roll you with tanks.

In a manner of speaking, I suppose that's one aspect of it.

In some parts of Norse mythology, elves were known as "light elves" and dwarves were referred to as "dark elves". The two races tended not to like each other much, iirc.

This is mostly correct.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »

How are the DF elves 'pansies'? ??? They eat flesh and don't afraid of anything.
The only stupid thing they do is sending their merchants out with no weapons whatsoever... And well, refusing to buy back their own wooden objects, but that's a bug. I always imagine they source their own wood via magically persuading the trees to grow what they need.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »

I find myself more of a human (both in game and IRL). Building grand cities with walls (that never seem to be finished by the time the ambushes show up) and a house for each dwarf is something I enjoy.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »

I find myself more of a human (both in game and IRL). Building grand cities with walls (that never seem to be finished by the time the ambushes show up) and a house for each dwarf is something I enjoy.

I like to do that occasionally myself, but I find myself needing to use stone for such projects simply due to needing my wood for metal industries.

I guess being a person who illegitimately trades with elves rather than a.) Seize b.) Magma or c.)has them killed one way or another is just as bad as playing as them, since 95% of things I've read involve elves dying ALOT. Although the instance of them winning a war against the dwarves simply because their best fighters kept dying of old age was pretty good.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

It's hard not to immediately begin throwing things at you because elfs are terrible and you are terrible for being an elf but I've always preferred above ground structures and I frequently play as a human. While I am deeply ashamed that you're doing this it's also pretty awesome to rewrite the rules for an entire culture. One of the things I love about Dwarf Fortress is the anthropological aspect, we understand Dwarves to have a certain culture because we all do similar things with them out of ease or necessity. Playing as a different race gives you the opportunity to turn those norms on their head. Elves are all about cloth and wood so you're on the right track there, it's not canon but you could also make them vegetarians replacing your animal industries with much larger agricultural sectors. Another aspect of DF elves is that their major redeeming quality is exotic animals,  you should use trapping extensively to get exotic creatures as trade goods. The big weird bit about elves is the fact that they rely extensively on wood but refuse to cut trees, you could actually use a Kobold Camp style plant mod to grow trees instead of cutting them to justify the plant murder.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »

I always figured the elves sing the wood out of trees like the monkey people (I think they were like monkeys) in the Ender's Game book series.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:39:58 pm »

elves.

Says elf lover.

*BLAM* Heresy! I love the elf, but I do not play as them!

I'm not an Elf Lover you understand. In fact I've lead over five thousand dwarves to their deaths in my fifty eight years which makes me quite the opposite, I believe.

I just like to do this Elf thing every other year to whet my appetite for the pleasures of the coarser race.

There is nothing like the Dying Screams of a !!Dwarf!! after twelve months of heaving, sweating Elf Flesh writhing in one's magma traps, you know.

!!quoted!!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:27 pm »

step 1 get the king
step 2 kill the king

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 03:00:51 am »

Ever seen a high elf from Skyrim? I imagine elves are a bit like that.

GOD I HATE THOSE ARROGANT PRICKS-
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:55 am »

Camonna Tong.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 04:13:43 am »

I do NOT collaborate with elves, just like Elf Lover does not play as elves. I work with the dwarves and lead them into elven retreats to burn them. Just thought I'd clear that up...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 04:19:11 am »

Ever seen a high elf from Skyrim? I imagine elves are a bit like that.

GOD I HATE THOSE ARROGANT PRICKS-

I play as high elf.
Just because magic is overpowerd hard.
But arr, those are really arrogant pricks in that embasady.
thats why i killed all of em.

(btw, i use fire magic mostly. quite weird. a sub-species of magma + elf. and it works out well. o-o)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 05:05:35 am »

Quote from: Cado's Magical Journey, by Threetoe
"It was the wooden treasures that I craved most. They were not carved, but grown. No craft under the ground could match their beauty."

They aren't hypocrites. To make wood crafts, dwarves kill a tree and carve crafts from it. Elves pick their trade goods like fruit.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3