Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Elves are more pansy than usual  (Read 3188 times)

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Elves are more pansy than usual
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:04 pm »

So... I've been trying to go to war with the elves for a good.. oh... 10 years or so. For the first 8 or so years I would offer them a single log of wood for all their wares, then seize all their stuff, then once the goods were hauled away I would cleanse the trade depot with magma, killing the elves. Since this was getting me nowhere, I finally updated my dfhack and modded diplomats back in. Now I got the elf treecutter limiter pansy. After he told me "Let this be a warning to you bla bla bla I wear women's underwear" I proceeded to murder him in the middle of my dining hall, butchered him, cooked him into a lavish meal (modded dwarves to consume sapients) and made his bones into bolts. Then, when the caravan came, I turned them into pincushions with the bones of their friend, took all their stuff and made more "Elf Meat Roasts". However... I am STILL getting caravans! I can't seem to get these treehuggers to attack me...

Any suggestions?

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
Re: My Elves are more pansy than usual
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:15:06 pm »

Perhaps leave an elf alive to report your transgressions back to the elf civ?
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »

Wound them all and send them home limping, with fewer organs!  Also cut down every tree you can see.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »

Sometimes you just have to give them what they really want, a slow and painful death.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:11 pm »

Hmm, I thought that lost caravans are registered regardless if anyone makes it off the map.

Wound them all and send them home limping, with fewer organs!  Also cut down every tree you can see.

Deforested the map, that's why the elf diplomat was annoyed.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:10:28 am »

Hmm, I thought that lost caravans are registered regardless if anyone makes it off the map.

That may be correct but lost caravans may not be enough. Perhaps they have to actually make it off the map to tell about your wood offering and diplomat ignoring ways to make them angry enough to send out the giant panda riders.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 01:38:51 am »

Try simply siezing their goods and letting them go.  That should piss off the treehuggers

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:27 am »

Guess I'll just be taking all their stuff for a few years then. Lets see if that pisses them off enough. Incidentally, I remember nations that declare war on you were trap immune to traps that their diplomat saw. Anyone know if he has to make it off the map to actually report those or no?

I wanna capture the Elf leaders in cage traps for dwarven !!SCIENCE!! but am not sure if I need to build more of em since the diplomat walked over them before being butchered.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:21 am »

Here's a tip.

You cannot go to war with the Elves unless you anger their diplomat.

If you're playing the vanilla version of DF (no mods), you either have to edit the code in, or regenerate the world until you have a pre-existing war with them.

Killing their caravans and angering their traders just won't do currently. They'll just take it as a loss in profit and send you cheap goods next year, just wasting time and effort (where you could be trading with them).

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:11:30 am »

Killing their caravans and angering their traders just won't do currently. They'll just take it as a loss in profit and send you cheap goods next year, just wasting time and effort (where you could be trading with them).
I read that as "just wasting time and effort (where you could be wasting time and effort)."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:14:13 am »

I read that as "just wasting time and effort (where you could be wasting time and effort)."
Welcome to the forums  :P
. . .

I just noticed, I bet you shifted your ethics to allow butchering of sentients?
I turned them into pincushions with the bones of their friend, took all their stuff and made more "Elf Meat Roasts"

Edit: Know that in DF, Elves eat the corpses of those they kill in battle and only that. No desecration of other bodies in anyway or form. (Which would be truly rare, given the fact that most wooden weaponry is the equivalent of hitting a wall with your fist.)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:32:04 am by Tiruin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:19:06 am »

(modded dwarves to consume sapients)

JinF.

You have trodden down the path of blasphemy.

By eating their diplomat, and being absolutely ok with eating sapients, you have proven that your Dwarves are more like Elves than Human and Goblins alike.

You have improved Elf-Dwarf relations.

You have made your Dwarves into Elves.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:04:59 am »

I always figured eating elves, crapping them out, and letting that fertilize the trees was a dwarvenly approach.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:37 am »

I always figured eating elves, crapping them out, and letting that fertilize the trees was a dwarvenly approach.

Why do i suddenly have the feel to try and make this in a mod...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:05 am »

Here's a tip.

You cannot go to war with the Elves unless you anger their diplomat.

Since this was getting me nowhere, I finally updated my dfhack and modded diplomats back in. Now I got the elf treecutter limiter pansy. After he told me "Let this be a warning to you bla bla bla I wear women's underwear" I proceeded to murder him in the middle of my dining hall

Pages: [1] 2