Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Humanity -Runes of an evil nature are still evil  (Read 34170 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity. -Obek Vandel attends a short lecture
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »

There is a niggling voice in your head, urging you to go, but you err on the side of caution. You wont achieve anything by wandering around and most likely getting yourself killed. You walk until you reach the university. It is not a very well kept building. A former palace that must have truly been a shining example of human architecture before the new one was built and this one was left to perish. Until someone decided to turn it into an university of course. Its heritage can currently only be seen in the numerous well crafted statues of kings that surround it, but even they are starting to crack.

The university is the opposite of the wizards tower. While in the tower mages learn spells and how to manipulate the world, in the university you learn about the world and philosophy. But they have developed very strong ties. After all, the university was started by mages from the wizards tower. Simply two sides of the same coin.

You then go inside and start searching for where your lecture was supposed to be. The university is a bit of a maze, being designed for style, rather than practicality, but in the end you reach where you were headed, you stand behind the door to the lecture hall for a moment and you notice your feet again. Damn if they arent sore.

You then step into the hall and take your usual seat. You have learned many thing in this hall, and then promptly thrown them out of your head. The scholars know about geology. They know about magic. But everyone has a different opinion of what is really happening. What a man cannot see with his own eyes is all still a mystery.

The lecturer comes into the hall. You regonize him quite quickly, a wizard who speaks here often, Paul. Mostly on the topic of philosophy, but at other times has taught things more in his area of expertise. Quite a rarity on that front. Most wizards do not like to reveal their secrets. This time it is obvious his mind is elsewhere. He starts up his lecture by talking about the worth of men. Quite a devout person, so quick to lower the worth of humanity, but mostly still uplifting. At some point the lecture leads to the topic of evil and he quickly loses track of what he was talking about and mumbles to himself before going completely silent.

He stares at everyone in the lecture hall. And flinches, as if he had suddenly remembered something. He starts walking away apologizes and tells everyone that he needs to go to the archives, and then rushes off in a hurry.

You run after him and stop him just outside the door to the archives. Before you can say anything, he angrily tells you: "You better have a damn good reason for wasting my time."

How do you respond?

And it seems we have our first conversation. Since you are an ordinary human, this is the primary way of doing things, rather than smashy smashy. Good responses will naturally lead to better results. Dont feel pigeonholed into doing a single senteance either, I will attempt to use as many voted on responses, attitudes and questions as I can. Actually, a general attitude and how you try to steer the conversation would actually be better than straight up responses.

Name: Obek Vandel
Physical might: 1
Mental might: 1.5
Followers: 0

EDIT: Heh, running on a nice 1 update per page.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »

lets try the BS rout. " Your lecture was a bit off. I wanted to see what was wrong. Maybe even test out some of the skills you have taught us in the past."
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

"Everyone's nervous and we've all heard the rumours.  Will you let me help?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »

Agreed. Lets not BS or anything, we sincerely want to help.

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »

Mention that your home is in the direction the rumors say things are bad.

A little sympathy might go a long way.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Ayup. This'll work.
Long Live United Forenia!

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:45 am »

Ayup. This'll work.

1+

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:51 am »

Ayup. This'll work.

1+

+2

I'm liking this.  Let logic triumph over magic! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 01:35:01 am »

Looks like I must concede. Not because of lack of votes, but because you guys gave the other option far more structure.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity. -Obek Vandel gets invited to a trip
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 09:35:41 am »

I must note that this is not running at the exact same time as Demonhood, simply due to of the (currently) different timescales. I will attempt to sync them up at certain points. As far as the time goes, currently Krlnkir has not yet attacked Culloden.

You decide to just say it, no bluffs, no appeasing: "Everyone's nervous and we've all heard the rumours.  Will you let me help?" Upon hearing that, Paul suddenly becomes much less angry. He was expecting someone to complain about cutting the lecture short, not someone with an offer of help. Yet, he is still does not wish to let you help. He simply states that it is a confidential matter and not for students. You still want to know more. You must know more. You ask him if you could at least get any information on Barrspring, or Akataki or anything, you are worried about your home. Pauls eyes go blank for a second. Certainly not a person lacking empathy.

He is lost for words. It is as if he wants to tell you something, but also not to tell you something. "Okay...come then." You both go into the archives. The archives are a large underground chamber beneath the university itself. They are simply repurposed dungeons, filled with books. Everything stored lies here. Not many people come down here. Many of the books are filled only with information about taxes and the population, some historical events and the occasional story that was thought entertaining enough to be brought here.

You and Paul walk until you reach a locked off chamber. He takes a key from his pocket and unlocks it. "I can trust you right?" You nod back at him in response. As you walk into the chamber Paul decides to just say it: "Akataki has been conquered." You stand there, slightly befuddled. "By who?" Paul collects himself again. "A demon. We dont know more. The demon destroyed an entire army with a single attack. Barrspring has most likely been conquered too. We havent told anyone yet, to not cause a panic." He starts scouring the room, and waits for it to sink into your head. A demon has taken over Akataki, Barrspring most likely too.

Before you can really think about it, you notice that you are shoeless. The cold floor is not the most comfortable of things to stand on. But yet again, you forget about it, when you remember that Paul was looking for something. You ask him. He is looking for a log or an order, from the time after the last great war. Its about distributing weapons.

You both scour the room for hours. Endless reports about monsters and how they were slain. These are obviously reports from the Barrtal Monster Hunters, very old reports. Occasionally one of them speaks about weapons, but mostly as a log of their use. You finally come across one from the right timeframe and some, but only very little actual information in it. You skim through it. Nothing about weapons, but the words of a priest, stating that: "One has remained, to protect us." The rest is about confirming that the war is over. You put it away, and go back to searching. You ask Paul if he has had more luck, but he answers with a no.

After a while, you decide to sit down for a bit, in an attempt to remove your shoeless feet from the freezing floor, which you yet again noticed. From this new angle, you see a piece of paper that seems to have fallen under a bookcase. You pull it out and read it.

By orders of King Hedwig, the following weapons will be returned to their rightful owners. Should the owner not be found, they will be sold for a fair price.
What follows is a list of weapons and who they should be returned to. Paul asks you if it it contains a sword called Grimbane. You quickly scour through list and confirms that it does. A man called Vasier Gehenna in the town of Aviemore. Paul shows a sign of annoyance on his face. "Its gonna be harder to track it down than I thought."

He takes the orders, and gives you some coins. "Thanks for the help." He thinks for a moment, and then adds: "I might be going on a trip to find it soon, you gonna come too? You will be paid for it."

Since Im guessing you will be going with him, then your next decision will be how you prepare for the trip. Maybe get some shoes, read up on Aviemore. Steal stuff, enslave the weak. Also, good job on your first conversation. Without the home addition I would not have had Paul give you an invite.

Name: Obek Vandel
Physical might: 1
Mental might: 1.5
Followers: 0

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 09:41:12 am »

Get shoes, research the place you're going to.  Bring a book on science and engineering, along with a book on demons, in general. 

Knowledge is power, Obek is gonna need as much as possible, if this is going where I think it's going. 

Also...a sword that can hurt demons?  I wonder if Nuke.19 will incorporate that...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:39 am »

Get shoes, research the place you're going to.  Bring a book on science and engineering, along with a book on demons, in general. 

Knowledge is power, Obek is gonna need as much as possible, if this is going where I think it's going. 

Also...a sword that can hurt demons?  I wonder if Nuke.19 will incorporate that...

+1. Ask if someone at the university could lend you some shoes. Your house isn't exactly safe.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:32 am »

He probably will, he said that Iituem, cerapa and him were exhanging notes.

Also, take a book on Satire/ Irony/Bad humour in general with you, demons feed on fear, so if you can take that away they will be easier to kill.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:42 am »

...Really?  A jokebook, that's what he's gonna fight The Tall Man with, a glorified jokebook? 

Edit: Sorry if I sound hostile. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:47:02 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 09:49:10 am »

...Really?  A jokebook, that's what he's gonna fight The Tall Man with, a glorified jokebook? 

Edit: Sorry if I sound hostile.
Think of it, all of the armies sent against him failed because of critically low morale. Though a book about the slaying of demons would probably be useful too.

Also, I was more intended as a joke first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13