Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: True Dwarven Heroes  (Read 2009 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
True Dwarven Heroes
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »

This is a thread about the true dwarven heroes, those who, despite overwhelming odds or lack of limbs and/or vital organs, have persisted to achieve greatness.

I got the idea after noticing that one of my military sworddwarves had lost the ability to stand, yet was able to drag himself around with his arms and act as an effective member of the fortress military. He's an inspiration to dwarves everywhere.

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
Re: True Dwarven Heroes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »

I read on the wiki that even if you lose all you limbs, you can do surprisingly well just rolling around biting things. That makes me laugh every time.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:35:54 pm »

Cacame, Elf King of Dwarves. :D

The only filthy tree hugger spawn elf awesome enough to rule over dwarves.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

Dagger AncientMace, captain of the Ink of Blotches, last to hold out against the antman disaster.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

Random brewer #4, for keeping us drunk!

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:40:09 pm »

My Legendary+5 Crutchwalker, who systematically raped a goblin ambush using only his crutch, a silver warhammer and a full suit of steel armour.
And a boatload of luck and drunk goblin crossbowmen.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

TheGazebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

Urist McSoaper who calmly threw an entire goblin ambush off a mountain in his quest for the socks of my fallen military.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »

Urist McWarveteran who foguht in 5 sieges, who was reduced to naught but a rolling head and torso, and fought in a sixth, before dying from the F**K the world protocol I install everywhere.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »

Zaneg Meetingcrypts the Blockaded Recluse of Justice. Fought in four sieges, severely crippled by the end of her life (no right leg, no right hand, a rotted left foot, left hand and stomach and a single eye injured) yet was the strongest fighter in the fort, without even any candy.
She went down after passing out after killing ten goblins, four trolls and a macaque alone. Four of her new recruits stood over her dead body and defended it with their lives... but they weren't enough to hold back the tide.

Domas Chaosstockades the Raw Blanket. A miner, hurriedly drafted to try and break the siege and the last able dwarf of Zalisiden, managed to break the siege before succumbing to his injuries. He got ten kills, among them a mace lord, two Voracious Cave Crawlers at once and an Elite Crossbowgoblin.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »

Urist Labryinthhalls. He was my only military dwarf armed in full iron, he killed 45 Goblins along with 20 trolls and a Goblin warlord, he died of old age in year 345, 35 years after the fort started. His injuries listed of no teeth, no fingers on his left hand, both legs gone, no left eye, and his Right foot was immobilized. Dwarfs rule. :D
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:37 pm »

Ast McSpeardwarf, Militia Commander of my first fortress, Inkspoiled. Early in it's settlement, a horde of 25 crazed Elves attacked. They promptly beat all of the livestock and one soapmaker outside of the gates to death with their wooden swords. Ast, only an adequate speardwarf, led the ramshackle militia against the menace. The animals pastures were soon covered in elven blood and limbs. Ast had destroyed more than half of the ambushing elves with her trust Bronze Spear. Later, a goblin swarmed descended on the fort. After a bloody melee I pulled my dwarves back behind the drawbridge. I built a ballista pointing at the entrance with what was left of my warriors behind. I opened the drawbridge as the goblins swarmed inside. THe ballista turned the first goblins into a red mist and wounded many others. Ast then charged and sunk her spear into goblin flesh. Crisis averted  8) Several years later, the goblins returned. Ast went down in a blaze of glory, full of goblin arrows, and caving in the skull of a goblin with her copper shield.
That which does not kill me...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »

Sigun Masusbomrek, the first Militia Commander of my fortress. His heroic deed was to lead his squad against an invading bronze colossus, and duel it personally armed only with his imported steel shortsword. The entire squad was cut down around him and still he fought on. With a mighty blow he severed one of its arms, but this only made it more dangerous as it resorted to kicking, and nobody wants a kick from a bronze colossus. Sent flying with many shattered bones, he was somehow rescued and brought to the painfully over-capacity hospital, where he rested comatose in a corner waiting for attention (since for some crazy reason I'd put the CMD in the military and he was now dead, this would be a doomed enterprise). He was elected mayor while still unconscious due to the bloody death of the previous office-holder at the hands of a hastily elected CotG who should have been made militia captain instead. Sigun finally died when one of the other dwarves in the heap of injured went berserk, massacring the unconscious dwarves around him. It was a terrible waste of a mighty warrior indeed, and Tinfound now has an entire chamber dedicated to his memory (and the imprisonment of aforementioned bronze colossus).

Also, he liked bronze.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:43 pm »

Logem Bomrekikal, the skilless woodcutter who, while on top of a slippery bridge and with no combat experience, took on a whole squad of goblins. And won. He ended up dying to a second squad because I forgot to set a burrow alert, but still...
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:40 pm »

in .38 I had a fortress loyality cascade survived by three dwarves, one of this trio is a legandary mechanic, and for the next 5 years he maintains and reloads the multiple crossbow traps, eventually he's the last surviving dwarf. He does get a few kills from killing kobold thieves that manage to unlock the doors to the fortress, twice he's dealing with these invaders when a force of darkness arrives, just barely managing to reclaim the interiour door just 4 spaces away from the lead goblin, with the goblin falling dead from the multiple crossbow bolts to the heart from the trap behind the outer door. After three years of solitude, more immigrants finally show up.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:49:52 pm »

in .38 I had a fortress loyality cascade survived by three dwarves, one of this trio is a legandary mechanic, and for the next 5 years he maintains and reloads the multiple crossbow traps, eventually he's the last surviving dwarf. He does get a few kills from killing kobold thieves that manage to unlock the doors to the fortress, twice he's dealing with these invaders when a force of darkness arrives, just barely managing to reclaim the interiour door just 4 spaces away from the lead goblin, with the goblin falling dead from the multiple crossbow bolts to the heart from the trap behind the outer door. After three years of solitude, more immigrants finally show up.

Why does this make me think that this dwarf probably wore a red button up shirt, overalls, work boots, a hardhat, welding goggles, thick insulated gloves and fixed everything by whacking it real hard with a big monkey wrench.  And when off-duty, sat around and played guitar and contemplated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: [1] 2