Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Divinity. - Dreams Invaded: 2  (Read 57889 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity. - Necromancers Deposed: One.
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:01 pm »

But yyyyeah.  Good =/= Nice, and you can definitely play Black and Grey Morality as an angel.  Just thank the gods we're not going by Blue and Orange Morality instead.

We arnt?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:57 am »

Also, don't forget to offer those Ghosts a chance of peace and redemption in exchange for service.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:53 am »

Also, don't forget to offer those Ghosts a chance of peace and redemption in exchange for service.
I guess. I still say we should have partly spared the necromancer, or at least imbued one of the others with his powers, allowing us to turn the dead into our own personal army. But its too late for that now.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:44 pm »

I guess. I still say we should have partly spared the necromancer, or at least imbued one of the others with his powers, allowing us to turn the dead into our own personal army. But its too late for that now.
Yikes. raising the deads is EVIL.

Go on foot. you may fly there, but, for gods' sake, do not let the macemen alone with the peasants. who knows what will they do once you're away?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

And to are giant beast and things with thousands of tentacles. Again, I say, good and evil are relative to person and reason. Killing someone is evil, but killing someone to save a thousand lives is good.
Now lets put a twist in there. What if you killed someone to save a thousand lives, just to find out that they were trying to save another thousand from someone else hidden in that group. Lets say that that someone (who the person was trying to kill) was trying to kill the thousand in order to save another thousand. Did you do something good, or evil?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »

Big into the 'ends justify the means' kinda thing?

Anyway, I vote walking, to keep the peasants and macemen safe. If we want to get there quickly, we should just take one of them and fly, and leave the rest to guard the village.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »

And to are giant beast and things with thousands of tentacles. Again, I say, good and evil are relative to person and reason. Killing someone is evil, but killing someone to save a thousand lives is good.
Now lets put a twist in there. What if you killed someone to save a thousand lives, just to find out that they were trying to save another thousand from someone else hidden in that group. Lets say that that someone (who the person was trying to kill) was trying to kill the thousand in order to save another thousand. Did you do something good, or evil?

In this case there's a mechanical block.  Summoning demons, raising the undead and using necromancy in general are Evil with a capital E.  They channel the literal force and substance of Evil (which is a thing in this world), the same substance that makes up demons.

An angel can kill, torture, blackmail and commit mass murder to further the ultimate cause of Good (hardline utilitarianism, but you get power boosts for being all deontological on the mortals' arses), but he cannot use necromancy and he bloody well should avoid encouraging his followers to use it.  It literally increases the amount of physical Evil in the world, which rather defeats his raison d'etre.

Mortal concepts of morality are vague and questionable, of course.  The literal embodiments of Good and Evil (the substances) and certainly the magical effects and results are defined, for the purposes of this game.  Angels don't raise zombies.  Demons don't cast healing spells (unless they're the kind powered by the sacrifice of a dozen virgins, that is).

Sore neck and need to eat, update in a bit.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »

In this case there's a mechanical block.  Summoning demons, raising the undead and using necromancy in general are Evil with a capital E.  They channel the literal force and substance of Evil (which is a thing in this world), the same substance that makes up demons.

An angel can kill, torture, blackmail and commit mass murder to further the ultimate cause of Good (hardline utilitarianism, but you get power boosts for being all deontological on the mortals' arses), but he cannot use necromancy and he bloody well should avoid encouraging his followers to use it.  It literally increases the amount of physical Evil in the world, which rather defeats his raison d'etre.

Mortal concepts of morality are vague and questionable, of course.  The literal embodiments of Good and Evil (the substances) and certainly the magical effects and results are defined, for the purposes of this game.  Angels don't raise zombies.  Demons don't cast healing spells (unless they're the kind powered by the sacrifice of a dozen virgins, that is).

Sore neck and need to eat, update in a bit.
. . . . . . Then i prefer to be human. . . . . but, this is not for me, so, like,  whatever man.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »

goodbye guy. But if you wanted to raide the deads, why did you ever came here? (see DEMONHOOD)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

goodbye guy. But if you wanted to raide the deads, why did you ever came here? (see DEMONHOOD)
Reading. For the last day or so. I am not going to leave, its just what I would prefer. I can alter to fit in if I must. I would actually like to see how all three sides play out. Or start up a (true) system of blue and orange if I can.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »

There are dozens of souls still here in the catacombs; the faintest of threads, clinging on to the mortal realm.  You call out to them.  You promise the chance of redemption to those that will follow you, the strength to change the world again.  More than two score answer your call, more than you can willingly give strength to.  Instead you select less than half - the guilty, the regretful.  Murderers you leave, for the most part, save a handful that gain your attention for their particular strength of will.  Themselves already on the verge of attaining the state of spectres, you opt to save them from that fate.

You bring 15 new Shades into being and 5 Greater Shades, though the effort does drain you.  They will travel with you, invisible save when they choose to manifest and able to attack the minds of your foes to drive them to terror or even to gibbering wrecks.  Like their evil counterparts they are incorporeal and cannot physically interact with the world not be physically attacked, save by silver or unholy weaponry.

You start on the journey to Ferrun by foot, instructing the two macemen to train the villagers and luxpanap along the way.  They do their best, but say that they need to stop to teach properly, as the men are tired by the end of the day's travel.  Once you settle somewhere, they will take about two weeks to train your five peasants to use the simple spears they have.  John will take about a month to train to use the necromancer's sword properly, but will be more deadly for it when he is.

The journey is fairly uneventful, but you come across more burned out hamlets and emptied villages along the way.  You catch glimpses of inhabited farmsteads in the distance, too far out of your way to investigate and still make good time, but you presume these were the villages that capitulated to Lord Thrane and his cronies.

The town of Ferrun is based at the base of a man made hill, upon which an ancient motte and bailey castle once stood, rotted to the ground and rebuild several times across the centuries; you can still see the foundations.  You can particularly see them because significant work has lately gone into renovating and rebuilding it, this time with stone outer walls and a stone inner keep.  A red flag with a black wolf's head flies over the keep.  One of the soldiers tells you this is the flag of Lord Thrane - or probably the captain assigned to take the town.

The rest of the town sprawls around the base of the hill, a collection of houses and shops focused on a cobbled marketplace.  This must once have been a relatively prosperous market town from the size of the market and the few drystone buildings around it, but today it is sparse and only a couple of stalls are set up.  You can make out a blacksmith's forge nearby, which is lit and apparently hard at work.  The town has no walls apart from those around the castle, so one could sneak in easily, though you can see a pair of guards posted at all three of the main streets leading toward the marketplace.

You should decide:

- How and if you will enter the town.
- Any plans for once you are there (or plans to go elsewhere).
- Whether to try and stay in town as visitors or camp outside whilst you make any plans or decisions.

Name: Lvantha Talaoia
Strength: 13 manpower ()
Mind: 9 menminds (-4 Summoning)

Followers: 1 luxpanap (John) (training, 2 wks)
5 peasants (training: spearmen, 2 wks)
2 macemen

Slaves: 0

Servants: 0 (Beings under your command - be they mutated mortals or lesser angels.)

Holdings:
1 village (1 Resource)

Items:
Unnamed Angelic Sword: +2 vs undead & demons if you wield it.  More effective when a mortal holds it.

Quote from: Stats
Shade: 0 Str, 1 Mind.  Cannot be attacked physically save by silver or desecrated weapons, cannot physically attack.  Special Attack: Haunt - Drives victims insane or inspires terror.  Invisibility.
Greater Shade: 0 Str, 2 Mind.  Abilities as Shade.

Well, there's both the Humanity and Demonhood threads to check out, both with excellent writing.  =B

I don't like limiting choices much, but I think there are some lines for story reasons we shouldn't cross.  Not many, but trying to use demonic magic is one of them.  Maybe the only one.  Now, Lvatha's other actions are a whole different story.  Ends justify the means, full on.  But purely from a mechanical viewpoint I don't think Lvantha should do it.

Lvantha can never use demonic magic herself, but if there's massive support for it and the opportunity arises, I'll let you guys try to get a tame necromancer of your very own.  But expect consequences to deal with; physical Good and Evil do not combine well.  And re: dead as your personal army... heh.  Travelling with spirits as you can see is still an option, and more powerful spirits may yet be available to the side of Good.  Just not zombies and such.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:36:02 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »

I guess that is a decent trade off.  :-\ But, lets use the Shades (not the greater) to gather information from the guards and areas around the market. We ourselves should camp outside and give the solders a couple of days to do what they can while we find out what else is around. See if we can find out about any interesting areas that should be avoided, or that might hide some rebels to draw to use. Or even the influence of Thrane in the area.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2012, 05:04:27 pm »

ghosts don't have to be inherently evil... maby we raised some of those blue force ghost things from star wars to drive our foes insane with demands that they go to the dagaba system.  :P

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »

ghosts don't have to be inherently evil... maby we raised some of those blue force ghost things from star wars to drive our foes insane with demands that they go to the dagaba system.  :P
again. I point out that I believe evil and good, are, for the most part, relative.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »

Is there actually any reason to believe "good" is actually aligned with human values and well being in any other way than by opposing "evil"?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22