Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: So I usually don't use mods...  (Read 10603 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: So I usually don't use mods...
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:44 am »

You can go to the community mod sticky and go from top to bottom to see which mod will suit you. Who pitch what in the modding forum doesnt reflect the common census but rather, which modder happen to be online at the moment. The fact that my and LFR's pitch doesnt get drown by genesis fans can be considered absurb IMO. (It's actually true, I was surprised this thread doesnt have 5 pages of genesis promoting posts yet)

EDIT: how IM and LFR cant keep you going for weeks is beyond me. Mine is pretty much 2 mods in one and LFR is kinda like pokemon.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:46:47 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 10:53:39 am »

Well, from what I read here now, it seems as if we are all haggling for one more player. I think that Genesis does not have the need for this, and neither do we.

@ maskedminer: You seem to be a newer player, no megaprojects, no pumpstacks, no megabeasts except ettins... how about learning the tools of your trade first, before trying something that makes the game more complicated/harder ? I also found the modding help in the forum, the searchfunction and the wiki sufficient to learn what you need for modding.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 11:02:21 am »

Umm, I'm testing out different mods to see which one I like. If I wanted to play them all through, I might as well not get new release at all when its released.

I mean, dwarf fortress short of takes hours  :P And I most of the time play vanilla version of the games, but I'm willing to try out something new, so now that I'm short too excited about new version to play old version(since I need to gen new world anyway when it comes out), I might as well try them out now and see what they are like.

Let's see... I've been playing since .17 I think. It was before eggs, pots, bees, shearing and grazers and it had night creatures. So I've been playing the game for year or two? According to my profile, I registered on July 20, 2011, but I was playing long before that, I created this profile originally because I was getting annoyed at particular complaint thread.

It really has nothing to do with me being "newbie" its that I suck in designing(every short of designing, trap designs, pump machine designs, fortress designs, etc, I could give you pictures of my fortresses if I had any good pics right now.). Hence why I wasn't interested in minecraft long, that game seems to be most enjoyable for people who like creating fancy block buildings. Also pump thing is hard to learn and I've haven't actually need them.. And yeah, I've been playing the game for year and two and I NEVER get any other mega beasts than semi megabeasts and forbidden beasts. You can guess why I'm annoyed? I also am not interested in making the fortress death proof because that would make it too easy. Also, I have schools and sometimes other games to play, so I forget how to play this games efficiently as I tend to get rusty in games like these, which is one reason I'm trying to get energy to play before new update, so I have remembered everything before starting to play it more again. But yeah, don't think I'm newbie just because I'm not interested in same things as everyone. Though my longest running fortresses have been only 5 years at most, I kind of tend to die because of forbidden beast syndromes killing lots of dwarfs and causing rest of them become depressed. Hence why I kind of am sick of them, there are tons of them no matter what settings you have and they are far more common than other beasts from my experiences...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:07:53 am by MaskedMiner »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 11:07:21 am »

I tend to get rusty in games like these
I find this odd because I get rusty in twitchy games like mount & blade if I dont play them often enough. DF on the other hand, I can play and watch TV at the same time.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:36 am »

Eh, I get rusty in ALL games. Though some of them are easier to pick up again. I don't know what makes it harder or easier, its just works like that. Anyway, my biggest problem with DF with last times I've played it has been that I've been unable to keep being interested in playing it longer times as I'm fricking sick of Forbidden beasts.

Anyway, I should probably learn ways to make my fortresses more faster and efficient, but so far my standard play style is this:

As soon I embark I dig myself opening to my fortress. First floor down from entrance is one with all stockpiles, second one is the one with work shops, after that come sleeping quarters and after that one I create room for socializing. Somewhere between is a hospital I also tend to dig until I find caverns so I know how deep they are. On the entrance I build trade deposit and workshops that can cause miasma inside like tanner's workshop and butcher's work shop, with next to them being corpse stockpile and refuse stockpile. Then I try to create trap zone on the entrance and way to keep my dwarfs save from sieges. I get food from hunting, butchering useless animals and farming, either by creating simple pump and getting water where I need it, by digging and using flood gates to get water from pools or in the caverns and from trades. I usually when I'm not rusty manage to have enough food and alcohol, but my military is bit weak though they are still usually capable of defeating FB that don't cause syndromes which takes effect right away.

Since I'm bad with pumps, I don't dare to do magma pumping as my water pumping is already disastrous so I only use magma by digging to lowest floor and getting magma forges and other magma workshops there. I sometimes put stockpiles next to them so they would be little faster, but its still annoyingly slow. I did once for fun create magma flood gate I used to kill goblins from sieges I caught, but thats it.

I try to survive in caverns by walling off the important sections from other parts, but forbidden beasts sometimes find the way in that I didn't notice. Usually because I try to expand in the caverns and they attack on bad timing. Beasts rarely are themselves bad, but the syndromes tend to kill me.

So yeah, when I'm not rusty, pretty much only thing that kills me are syndromes. I also should probably figure out how to create more efficient fortresses, but I've manage.

Heck only things I'm unable to do is find megabeast in fortress mode without embarking on caves and making fortresses on sites with aquifer  :P I have tried the cave in method and it worked once, but most of time there are multiple layers of aquifer so it doesn't help much.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:30:30 am by MaskedMiner »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:38 am »

How about challenges ?

Itemless embark, or all-military without moats/traps. You can learn tons of new tactics with that. No wonder you get bored, if you stick to one playstyle, with a walled in fortress protected by traps, and walled of caverns.

Edit: About syndromes: Running water cleans it, make a little channel with running water, depth 3. And wear a lot of robes/hoods/Cloaks and shoes. Isolate the FB corpse and forbit everything around it, make a restricted traffic designation around it. OR magma.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:36:10 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 11:39:39 am »

Actually, my trap zone is composed of cage traps  :P I defend from sieges by rising the bridge if there are too many for cages to caught them or to my military to kill. Also, like I said, my cavern walls don't seem to work most of the time because creatures get still get pass them. Well, okay, I admit it, only forbidden beasts gets pass them because I use doors so my dwarfs can get pass them -_-;(I haven't had time to wall off all cavern walls at all sides, doesn't help that some sides have underground lakes in them making it impossible for me to monster proof them...)

And I've had had challenge: Get a monarch. My civilization had monarch, I done monarch requirements according to the tab that told me them, I waited two years and then died from FB syndrome. Multiple times. I seem to have bad luck in getting other things than monarch too. After that my challenge was to get other mega beasts than FB and ettins. Never happened that. Heck, even semi mega beasts are rare to me, only FB attack me regularly... I only see other beasts in adventure mode because they never fricking attack me. My last challenge was to capture exotic animals, but for some reason, my caverns only spawn troglodytes and elk birds usually, giant olms and toads do appear along with cave swallows or bats, but thats it. Same on the surface, no interesting monsters ever wander into my fortresses when I want them to. I have bad luck with this game  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:42:23 am by MaskedMiner »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:24 am »

Well, for more megabeasts just go to the adv. world gen, raise the number of megabeasts and titans to max, add a high number of caves, and start a new game. You can also lower the attack trigger, so they come earlier.  I usually have one in the first year, and from  then on several every year.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 11:54:29 am »

From what I've noticed, ONLY way to prevent world having FB is by not having any caverns at all.

Which is goal of my current fortress in vanilla game with only edit being exotic_pet turned into regular pet(so that I can tame the dragons and other beasts). Of course, this game is little hard because my dwarf civilization apparently lacks access to seeds and drinks, but I don't care as long I survive long enough to get darn beasts.(I made world gen end on year 2 just to be sure, it seems to have some side effects -_-;) On plus side, magma sea is at 13 floor, apparently removing cavern layers makes access much quicker..

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 12:02:58 pm »

Dragons need something like 1000 years to mature. In a 2 year old world you get very weak baby dragons ;)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »

I thought that world gen dragons start at full age and that that applies only to their children ._.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

Herp derp do not play Genesis (mod site). There's already too many people playing it! Try something else!

And have fun! :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »

:D

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

Well, thank you guys for recommendations, though I'm willing to try out more mods if you guys have even more recommendations.(also willing to learn to edit raws if I can get more details about that xD)

Also, if someone creates a mod where you play as underground civilizations agaisnt the dwarfs/elfs/humans/goblins/kobolds, tell me please!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »

Well, thank you guys for recommendations, though I'm willing to try out more mods if you guys have even more recommendations.(also willing to learn to edit raws if I can get more details about that xD)

Also, if someone creates a mod where you play as underground civilizations agaisnt the dwarfs/elfs/humans/goblins/kobolds, tell me please!
My mod that's in my sig

and Putnam placed this link in another thread

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Modding_guide
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5