Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: So I usually don't use mods...  (Read 10593 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I usually don't use mods...
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »

I always play any game vanilla, but waiting for new release is so frustrating that I've been trying to figure out new things to do in meanwhile. What are the best mods and how do you edit raws well? I've been thinking of switching around playable races for fun(like making animal men playable in fortress mode or adding new race which is completely cheating stat and skill wise, etc). Or see if you can create troll fortress if you make trolls playable.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: So I usually don't use mods...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

MasterWork gives you alot of fun options to play with, and has good instructions on how to install it. (altho I believe it is plug and play like mine Regen trying to pump out V4.5 this weekend?)
There is Genesis, Corrosion, Dig Deeper. So many good ones.

I am also doubtful of this, it is a mix of general disscussion and modding.

If you want to use another race for playableness you can simply swap out [CREATURE:DWARF] to [CREATURE:xxxx] in the "entity_default.txt" under "MOUNTIAN" of course that means there will be no dwarves in the worlds. You would have to create a whole new entity if you want to keep dwarves in the world (also you need to add trigger tags to MOUNTIAN or else they will never come to trade/invade your new playable race)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:11:49 pm »

How I can do that? Would I just need to copy paste dwarf raws? Also how I make non mountain playable fortress race?

I've tried Genesis and Wastelander mod so far. I tried to install Civilization Forge but I didn't figure out how to.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:41 pm »

Have a look at my one. MasterWork

Although the manual is quite large, you dont need it. This and Genesis are the only mods with settings. You can just add or remove what you like/dislike. 

Otherwise try the Fortress Defense. It literally changes nothing, but adds up to 18 races that attack you. It is also included in my mod, but of course you get some extra content as well.

Apart from this shameless selfpromotion, if you want to try something totally different, there is Corrosion (zombie apocalypse) and a Lovecraft mod. Both rather unique.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

Hmm, ok, can I get link to those mods too?

I'll try to check them out, but I also would like a guide to raw editing.*is currently for sake of boredom trying to replace current main races with underground animal people, just trying to see if I can do that. Because just making dwarfs to be super strong/have all skills legendary isn't that hard from what I've checked so I figured out that I might as well try replacing dwarfs with other races or monsters. I also am interested in creating new creatures*

Okay, I did the raw editing. Now the game crashes if it goes far enough in world gen history ._. I did do some more editing than just replacing entity creatures, so I suppose something I added causes game to crash if it happens in world gen since it sometimes crashes at year 3, sometimes at year 70...  Also, all animal people seem to die at year 4, I guess ability to farm isn't in entity raws.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:35:03 am by MaskedMiner »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:46 am »

read your error log
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:05 am »

[LIKES_SELF_PROMOTION]

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:22:55 am »

read your error log

Hmm... Can't find the error log.

Anyhoo, I guess I'll just stick to mods, editing raws without having any clue about editing them is kind of hard ^^;

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:54 am »

i strongly recomend narhiril's Legends of the Forgotten Realms mod, while yes it does give you some new toys to play with it does add enemies that have better toys...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:49:21 am »

Are there guides for editing raws?

Also, installed now Wastelander, Genesis, Masterwork, Hunter's moon and Corrosion. Going to install more to try out different ones.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:54:58 am »

Anyhoo, I guess I'll just stick to mods, editing raws without having any clue about editing them is kind of hard ^^;
I recognize only 3 mods that can shock people in more then one way: Corrision, Fortress Defense and mine, linked in my sig with a new release in an hour or so. Corrosion because you have to learn its style and approach. Fotress Defence is hard. Mine because it tends to trip people up.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:57:06 am »

I recognize only 3 mods that can shock people in more then one way: Corrision, Fortress Defense and mine, linked in my sig with a new release in an hour or so. Corrosion because you have to learn its style and approach. Fotress Defence is hard. Mine because it tends to trip people up.

I am hurt and insulted...

...and don't actually mean any of it.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:21 am »

me and Chronojiuj also have a sergal mod going if you like anything that has to do with Trancy micks stuff. Don't mix em though. As for making new races. there religion defiantly affects world gen, if you make too evil a race they'll get wiped out in world gen, i had that issue with the original sergals which are now the northerns.

My version also includes how to do workshops as well as reactions.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:09:19 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:06:01 am »

I am hurt and insulted...
Your mod need to tap on more aspects of DF. I only play technically advanced mods. Fun and lore arent a factor. No hard feeling.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:10:04 am »

Masterwork mod seems to include the races from fortress defense mod? Does that mean it includes FD mod or are just the races included?

Also, since nobody replies to raw question, I assume there aren't guides for it... Is there some short of mod request thread or anything like that then?

Also i think I didn't manage to get Corrosion's graphic work correctly... Its now misc of ascii and graphics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5