Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Online Piracy  (Read 27087 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

This isn't a joke.

Why bother ignoring common language conventions then? You clearly know what this topic is about. Insisting people are using the word wrong is stupid. Words change. Get used to it.

For the same reason you would protest if I renamed your favorite political ideology pedophilia.
I mean, it's just an obvious attempt at labeling a practice the media don't like, and file sharing have nothing to do with piracy.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

Piracy is the universally recognized word for illegal file sharing.  When you start arguing over what word to use (The worst is in discussions about god where people start arguing about what letter they put before gnostic and whether or not x person is y type of gnostic whatever) you drown the argument in useless semantics.
Shoes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »

This isn't a joke.

Why bother ignoring common language conventions then? You clearly know what this topic is about. Insisting people are using the word wrong is stupid. Words change. Get used to it.

The reason that piracy and theft are being used in place of the words copyright infringement is to demonize copyright infringement and make people think of it as something other than it is. It is an intentional corruption of language in order to sway perceptions and the arguments that form around the topic. It is a subversive form of mind control and getting used to it is submission and acceptance, even endorsement of that control. That is why I bother, I can never accept that.

Piracy is the universally recognized word for illegal file sharing.  When you start arguing over what word to use (The worst is in discussions about god where people start arguing about what letter they put before gnostic and whether or not x person is y type of gnostic whatever) you drown the argument in useless semantics.

The reason that it is universally recognized is that it has intentionally been made to be universally recognized by the side that wishes to conflate copyright infringement with crime so that it can then become crime without argument. it is not useless semantics, it is very useful for the side that wished to acquire and maintain the control of all culture for exploitation and profit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:24:40 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »

"Pirate" has been used in the context of this sort of thing for over 400 years.
Banish these Word-pirates, (you sacred mistresses of learning) into the gulfe of Barbarisme: doome them euerlastingly to liue among dunces: let them not once lick their lips at the Thespian bowle, but onely be glad (and thanke Apollo for it too) if hereafter (as hitherto they haue alwayes) they may quench their poeticall thirst with small beere. Or if they will needes be stealing your Heliconian Nectar, let them (like the dogs of Nylus,) onely lap and away. For this Goatish swarme are those (that where for these many thousand yeares you went for pure maides) haue taken away your good names, these are they that deflowre your beauties. These are those ranck-riders of Art, that haue so spur-gald your lustie wingd Pegasus, that now he begins to be out of flesh, and (euen only for prouander-sake) is glad to shew tricks like Bancks his Curtall.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:47 pm »

For the same reason you would protest if I renamed your favorite political ideology pedophilia.

More like if it was common usage to call the ideology pedophilia and there was not the same negatives of the association. EI I could say I support pedophilia and no one would be shocked or whatever.

If that was the case, then sure, similarity. But it's not. So no. Not like that.

This isn't a joke.

The reason that piracy and theft are being used in place of the words copyright infringement is to demonize copyright infringement and make people think of it as something other than it is. It is an intentional corruption of language in order to sway perceptions and the arguments that form around the topic. It is a subversive form of mind control and getting used to it is submission and acceptance, even endorsement of that control. That is why I bother, I can never accept that.

The reason that it is universally recognized is that it has intentionally been made to be universally recognized by the side that wishes to conflate copyright infringement with crime so that it can then become crime without argument. it is not useless semantics, it is very useful for the side that wished to acquire and maintain the control of all culture for exploitation and profit.

So rather your mind control then theirs? Copyright infringement is not the right words anymore then piracy.

Your point might have been valid long ago (apparently 400 years ago), but no longer. No one thinks they are connected even with the fact they have the same name. Are you really stating that we who use that word are both brainwashed by... someone (since words are invented just like that by anyone) and too stupid to separate the meanings?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »

Could... could we take this discussion back to the copyright thread, or the "is piracy theft" one? They're like, probably less than a dozen pages back. Wouldn't even be much of a necro.

OP! This is why I suggested digging up those links! We've had these arguments dozens of times before, some of them fairly recently! Save us some time and frustration by just reminding people what's already been said!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

Could... could we take this discussion back to the copyright thread, or the "is piracy theft" one? They're like, probably less than a dozen pages back. Wouldn't even be much of a necro.

OP! This is why I suggested digging up those links! We've had these arguments dozens of times before, some of them fairly recently! Save us some time and frustration by just reminding people what's already been said!
Sorry sorry i was side tracked by all of the derailing. I'll find the post in a second.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:29:35 pm by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Online Piracy
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:48 pm »

Did anyone catch an article in the scientific american, where an author published his work, allowed it to be pirated and found his sales increased significantly?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »

I'm sure there's more but these are just in this board.
Excellent, thank you! Incidentally, I'm marking that post and quoting it as soon as I see any other copyright/piracy discussions come up, at least if someone else doesn't beat me to it. Should help things along.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »

Did anyone catch an article in the scientific american, where an author published his work, allowed it to be pirated and found his sales increased significantly?

Promoting piracy can be a very effective marketing tool. But not always.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 02:59:33 pm »

The article in the SA being published after his unprotected work was released, with no mention to piracy?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 03:02:53 pm »

Honestly I'd like to see a linux based console. The law says nothign about HAVEING to put copyright protection in your console. Just that it shouldn't be able to play games that you haven't made with the stock settings, if others make it do other things than it's not your problem. the reason i letter bombed my wii was to put linux on so i could watch movies and play homebrews etc. something that game companies seem to despise now.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

The article in the SA being published after his unprotected work was released, with no mention to piracy?
Then what makes it any different than any other "unprotected" work? Where's the control group in this experiment?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:01 pm »

Then what makes it any different than any other "unprotected" work? Where's the control group in this experiment?

It's not an experiment, an observation :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13