Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Online Piracy  (Read 27068 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:23 am »

I assert that copyright is an unnecessary and harmful idea.

Lengthy, relevant discussion

TL;DR:
Copyright law does not generate a desirable result. Get rid of it. Completely.

Yeah, and you'll instantly destroy every company that relies on copyright law. All you'll have is indie stuff and classical music.

Actually, no, gitting rid of copyright all together helps underhanded companies more. If some artist was to make something that was popular, a company could take that idea without the artist's permission, and use it's greater resources to out produce and/or out market the orginal artist. Obviously copyright laws right now do next to nothing to support the artist already, but I'm only asking for SANE laws.

I've never heard of anyone stealing ideas like that. I don't see DF and Minecraft getting sued for copying Dungeon Keeper or Tolkien.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:17 am »

I assert that copyright is an unnecessary and harmful idea.

Lengthy, relevant discussion

TL;DR:
Copyright law does not generate a desirable result. Get rid of it. Completely.

Yeah, and you'll instantly destroy every company that relies on copyright law. All you'll have is indie stuff and classical music.

Actually, no, gitting rid of copyright all together helps underhanded companies more. If some artist was to make something that was popular, a company could take that idea without the artist's permission, and use it's greater resources to out produce and/or out market the orginal artist. Obviously copyright laws right now do next to nothing to support the artist already, but I'm only asking for SANE laws.

I've never heard of anyone stealing ideas like that. I don't see DF and Minecraft getting sued for copying Dungeon Keeper or Tolkien.

Well of course they haven't, all of those are far too different for someone to sue over. I was refering to stuff like what happened to Night of the Living Dead

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:47 am »

Free to play sounds like a good idea. maybe after 5-7 years movies games... not books( there meant to last for long times ) should become free to play by the directors site with the ability to watch the movie in hour or so bursts before being locked out for what ever amount of time. Mega video did it and they still got traffic and money from subscribers. We can also look at F2P games on steam, team fortress is a good example. the game was expensive but worth it and than they continued to reward us for buying even when it moved over to F2P.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:29 am »

Not this again >_>

also on the TPB change
Year of the storm

2012 is the year of the storm.

The Pirate Bay will reach an age of 9 years. Experiencing raids, espionage and death threats, we're still here. We've been through hell and back and it has made us tougher than ever.

The people running the site has changed during the years. No sane human being would put up with this kind of pressure for 8 years in a row. An insane hobby that takes time from our families, our work (sorry boss) and our studies.

What binds us all together is a strong belief that what we do is good. That it is something we one day can tell our grandchildren about with pride. People from all over the world confirm this. We read testimonials from people in Syria longing for freedom, thanking us for what we provide. We receive more than 100 visits daily from North Korea and we sure know that they need it. If there's something that will bring peace to this world it is the understanding and appreciation of your fellow man. What better way to do that than with this vast library of culture?

With this said, we hear news from our old admins that they have received a verdict in Sweden. Our 3 friends and blood brothers have been sentenced to prison. This might sound worse than it is. Since no one of them no longer lives in Sweden, they won't go to jail. They are as free today as they were yesterday.

But what enrages us to our inner core is that the system, the empire, the governments, are still allowed to try to boss you and us around with one law crazier than the other. Do you think they will stop with SOPA/ACTA/PIPA? They will not. Because you won't stop sharing those files. Because we will not stay down. Because no one can turn back time. Together, we are the iron that hardens with each strike.

In this year of the storm, the winners will build windmills and the losers will raise shelters. So flex your muscles, fellow pirates, and give power to us all! Build more sites! More nets! More protocols! Scream louder than ever and take it to the next level!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 11:20:51 am »

I am not in favor of piracy, though I do sympathize with it. The fishing grounds off the coast of Somalia that the local people depended on as one of the few reliable local job and food sources have been illegally plundered and stripped by foreign fishing ships. With no other source of income, they at first began trying to run off the foreign fishing ships. But the warlords in the area quickly took over operations and began in-discriminant piracy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:03 pm »

It is an accurate portrayal of my position within that discussion. Other positions were offered.

Yes. But you offered it as a TL;DR of the whole discussion.

The whole concept of copyright is silly. The purpose it serves is to create aritificial scarcity where scarcity does not otherwise exist.

The thing is, although this is true, it does not make it a bad thing. Money is made artificially scares, but that is for a good reason. You can't just say "oh. We can just reproduce it infinitely. It should have no value." because that ignores the fact that it still has to actually come from somewhere in the first place. You can infinitely reproduce the copies, but you can not make anything original.

Furthermore, the counter argument to this, that 1: ending copy right would only end the strangle hold big producing companies have and 2: free entertainment is just as good as paid entertainment are both bullshit.

1: There actually is a reason artists go to big companies. The takes a ton of money to make most high quality music and games. A. Ton. Of. Cash. Sure, certain niche games can get around this, like dwarfforts, but most media needs the big expensive software and hardware. Also it take a ton. A TON of cash to market a game to the point where it is profitable. Some games get super lucky and don't need to be marketed. Most do not and they need the big bucks to sell anything.

Therefor, publishing companies are actually needed.

2: This is actually something a hear a lot from people pushing your thought process, but I don't know if you agree. The idea here is that if no one purchased games, then games that are already free and games that would become free would fully pick up the slack. That is bullshit. By any metric there is games that are not free are better then free games. There are of course payed games that are shit and free games that are great, but the worst games are free and the best games need to be payed for. The idea that the people making games for pay would make games that are just as good for free if they could not be paid is also bullshit. They actually work at these things as a job. They would simply not have the time, desire, or equipment to make as good of games.

One more thing, your cave man example is also bullshit. Fire is a necessity of life. Games, music, movies... Not needed. Not to mention the skill needed to start a fire in minimal.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:28:20 pm by Criptfeind »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 12:26:17 pm »

What does copyright have to do with this topic? I thought it was about piracy?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

Piracy and copyright are intertwined. His point was that copyright is the cause of piracy and should be gotten rid of. Or something to that effect.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

What does copyright have to do with hijacking ships at sea and taking their crews or cargo at sea for ransom or theft? I really don't see how copyright causes piracy at all. The causes of modern piracy are mostly the economic disruption of the failed state of Somalia and exploitation of fishermen. Though in other parts of the world it is related to the drug trade.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:32:58 pm by Nadaka »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »

That joke has been already done.

It was not funny the first time.

You can't even claim funny ignorance because the OP is good.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »

This isn't a joke. Piracy is in no way related to copyright or copyright infringement. Neither is theft.

Piracy is the the hijacking of ships at sea. Copyright infringement is distribution of copies of media beyond what is allowed by fair use. These are not similar.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

Everything and anything can be a joke when you are the one making the joke.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »

The fact is copyright laws and piracy easily conflict. One mentality believes that the law can be ignored on the technically the source is never truly "pirated" only copied and shared. the other says that it is. Anonymous posted a video about Acta that outlines this. No i don't endorse anon or am a member, but there point is valid in this, this is how many people online view "counterfeit software".

the video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_bERAf5KAg&feature=related
The section is at: 0:52

This is clearly up for debate as the product is still being distributed for free with nothing being given back to the original copyright holder.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »

This isn't a joke.

Why bother ignoring common language conventions then? You clearly know what this topic is about. Insisting people are using the word wrong is stupid. Words change. Get used to it.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »

This isn't a joke. Piracy is in no way related to copyright or copyright infringement. Neither is theft.

Piracy is the the hijacking of ships at sea. Copyright infringement is distribution of copies of media beyond what is allowed by fair use. These are not similar.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13