Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could some bugs be too good to fix?  (Read 3176 times)

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Could some bugs be too good to fix?
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:32 am »

Hey there,

browsing various stuff recently, I found those quotes from tvtropes,from the forum(approximately): "apparently, redundant creature entry makes the game goes "it's crazy world, nothing make sense!look, alligator live in houses"" and something about "boiling silk that freezes peoples to death".

Then there are some gems from the devellopement report, such as "stopped pigs from thinking they were selling things at the market" or "the necromancer had to flee from his tower when his zombies became suspicious about him not aging".

Well if you ask me, these are not bugs, but unexpected coding by-product that could be turned into precious content!
I'd especially see it perfectly fitting for the magery system (you messed up with some powers beyond your abilities? boom, sentient pig town!) or god's curses (your miner's struck and therefore profanated an ancient temple/tomb?boom, boiling silk!) or an adventurer's mode psychedelic arch-quest where the world is slowly losing touch with reality because of decadence/distrust in gods/destruction of nature/whatever and as you rush from villages to town trying to restore balance in the fabric of reality you see more and more sentient furnitures and pink flying alligators and somesuch. Or alternative planes where all that stuff is actually pretty normal. Or your adventurer being drugged/crazy/cursed and living in a very strange world of his own.

I dont know much about coding but I guess it's not possible to have a "bugfix on/off" switch, especially since most of this "content" come from completely unexpected interaction between various unrelated features and is difficult to predict or control.

Yeah anyway an idea on which i'd be happy to have you guys' opinions.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Could some bugs be too good to fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:52 pm »

You want a switch to turn bugs on/off?

Just play the old version.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »

If there's some 'bug' that we're really fond of, we will mod an approximation back in. That's the on/off switch you're looking for. Mind, Toady keeps some unintentionals as features, like the hollow husks of skin being reanimated.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:54:13 pm »

If there's some 'bug' that we're really fond of, we will mod an approximation back in. That's the on/off switch you're looking for. Mind, Toady keeps some unintentionals as features, like the hollow husks of skin being reanimated.
Which, I will say for the record, is just about the creepiest form of undead I have ever seen conceived of (though the undead god-fetus thing gives it a run for its money).

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »

Which, I will say for the record, is just about the creepiest form of undead I have ever seen conceived of (though the undead god-fetus thing gives it a run for its money).

Oh god I just imagined what that would look like.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

Spoiler: Quoteception (click to show/hide)

:P

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »

Enjoy your nightmares.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:25:56 pm »

For any bugs that are 'fixed' and not modded back in, but you would like to experience anyway, there is a very long list of old releases of DF available on the site, so you can always find out what version the bug(s) was(were) in and download it to play around with it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »

That's not nearly as bad as what I imagined.

Enjoy your nightmares.

*shiver*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:36 pm »

I see it sort of like this but having been stuck in a toaster.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »

I see it sort of like this but having been stuck in a toaster.

Or rather, has been in the hot desert sun for the last century, and is now somewhat like hard leather. That strangles you.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.