Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A true... "Rapture"  (Read 1552 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A true... "Rapture"
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:15:39 pm »

Hey sports Dwarf fans. 

Whilst penning out my latest fortress idea, I happened across and old copy of Bioshock I had lying around. Playing the opening levels definitely gave me a burst of inspiration.

So, plan is:
- Build a lighthouse structure
- flood the top z level by channelling out most of the map and then bursting a river
- creating a safe way to enter, but make it a one way deal

It's the third one I'm struggling on. I'd like to make a bathysphere esque creation, but realise that would be highly improbably. Or would it?

Ideas please :(
Even tips on how to successfully represent my own dwarven Rapture would be welcomed with open arms.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: A true... "Rapture"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

I heard that you can drop a dwarf up to a max z-level as long as they land on an animal, if you could get dwarves onto a bridge and have it drop them onto animals a few layers below, they can't get out again.

Edit: I think.  :-\
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

That would be interesting, but I was thinking of mass transport as migrant waves tend to come in 7s+
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »

Pressure plate / hatch combo. You have a pressure plate next to a hatch cover over a pit, and when a dwarf walks onto the pressure plate the hatch opens, cutting off the path.

If you want something water-themed, a means of luring migrants into a particular area and then washing them off a ledge would work, but would take time to set up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:51 pm »

Do migrant dwarves assemble at the most easily accessable meeting zone?
If so, would assigning a 4x4 meeting zone ontop of a 4x4 set of hatches leading to the lower level work?

Damn you, 2am creativity streak!

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:05 pm »

Damn you, 2am creativity streak!

I know that feel.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »

I once thought about creating a rapture fortress, although I was more determined to build it in the ocean, which would involve a lot of pumping, draining, build, draining, deconstructing, and time. I decided to wait until movie fortress segments would one day be available, one day....

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »

One way entry is easy. A 1z fall is harmless, so build a retracting bridge over a 1-z deep rampless pit. Put a meeting zone on the bridge and activate however you want.

It's also quite simple to build a "dwarf flusher". If you have shallow water going over a 1-z ledge, and place a 1-wide meeting zone on the top of the ledge, then any dwarf which goes to that meeting zone will be flushed over the edge. They will also be cleaned and comforted by this "entrance".

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:12 pm »

As far as my knowledge goes, the awesome hypotetical entrance is:
-Tower, with drawbridge that is marked as meeting area, surrounded by walls and door to make sure immigrants fall straigh down
-Few z-levels of water
-flooded room with bridge over the top and massive amount of pumps (basically walls made of pumps) to pump water out
-some kind of lockable entryway to fortress from this room
Why this will work? Dorfs falling through water take significantly less to none damage from falling (proven by my dorf airborne 101 brigade) and go all the way to the bottom, also they won't start to drown untill they reach the very bottom. So basically if pumps will pump the water out to safe 3-4/7 levels before they drown - it will work. Some dorfs may get unlucky though.

Dwarvenly ? Oh yes.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:48 pm »

As far as my knowledge goes, the awesome hypotetical entrance is:
-Tower, with drawbridge that is marked as meeting area, surrounded by walls and door to make sure immigrants fall straigh down
-Few z-levels of water
-flooded room with bridge over the top and massive amount of pumps (basically walls made of pumps) to pump water out
-some kind of lockable entryway to fortress from this room
Why this will work? Dorfs falling through water take significantly less to none damage from falling (proven by my dorf airborne 101 brigade) and go all the way to the bottom, also they won't start to drown untill they reach the very bottom. So basically if pumps will pump the water out to safe 3-4/7 levels before they drown - it will work. Some dorfs may get unlucky though.

Dwarvenly ? Oh yes.

Science has been done on falling through water; the levels with water do not count for fall damage at all. However, the levels without water count for full. For example, fall through 3 levels of air then 10 levels of water, you take the damage you normally would from just 3 levels of air.

The only way to make this work is if all but 1 of the levels was flooded with water. And that'd be a pain in the rear to unflood and reflood. Best just to use a kitten landing pad.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:36:17 am »

In my arena experiments falling through water did decrease fall damage, as creatures dropped into 2-layers-deep water took less damage than creatures dropped into 1-layers-deep water when both groups were dropped from the same height above the surface.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:56:00 am »

Couldn't you use powered pumps to keep water in the top, say, four-ten levels, but have a level free of water?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »

Something like this perhaps? (side view)
   GG____ Entrance with dropping mechanisim like a bridge or something up here
 S>WW<S Screw pumps pumping water into hole.
  |WW|   Hole filled with water thus not causing additional falling damage.
  |WW|   Hole can be as deep as you like.
 <SWWS> Screw pumps pumping water out of hole. (can be connected to other pumps or not)
  ____Safe landing area. Can be filled with animals for granteed safety.

As far as I can tell from my limited understanding of Dwarf gravity, the dwarves should only fall through one waterless tile (at the bottom) and should take no damage. by the way, the bottom will have water in it for fractions of a second, but should get sucked up by the screw pumps so don't have it be where dwarves go normally or it will create job cancellation. Also it will get muddy there, so build paved roads over that section, or you will get trees growing.

Edit: forgot something.