Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Hill Dwarf Challenge  (Read 10453 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 10:06:41 am »

Screwit, vanilla time.

My story will go from the viewpoint of this young miner woman.

Journal from Powder Miner, First Miner of the mining hill dwarf settlement of Abbeyancient, founded by the Picks of Trading.
Arrival.
Well, I guess it's time for me to start a new journal. My mining skills were going to waste in that old mountainhome, so I was delighted when my friend Powder Woodcutter gathered me and some of his other friends together to go on a journey to creat a hill dwarf settlement, so we could trade in the ore and rock the mountainhome was beginning to run out of. When we got there, everyone immediately got to work, including us as we began to dig for some rock to start things off with. Surprisingly, we immediately hit an ore/gem cluster, hitting magnetite and white chalcedony. I knew it'd be a good start when we started mining! So our plan is to dig out that area, then make a cave for the farm. The wagon's being deconstructed, we're gettign wood, and we're going to make a wooden/stone up here so we can start our operations with real shelter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:09:14 am by Powder Miner »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »

Hey, Powder Miner, can you get back to the Arena Battles? I'd like to see how well I'd fare against someone in iron armor or with a shadowsteel axe.

On Topic: I haven't had the time to do this challenge yet, but I'll see how I'd fare when I do.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »

The dwarfs of The Bodice of Theatres were know to be especially stubborn, even for dwarfs. Once they heard that Lanlarikul Dural was overthrown by the elves, they immediately organized another expedition. The members of this expedition, known as the Honourable Growers, set out to found the fortress of Esmulfikuk, or "Fullfields". The site of this outpost was in the Swamp of Secrets, a battlefield between the dwarfs, elves and goblins since time immortal. A brook know as the Solicitous Cloisters burbled merrily in the valley below as the dwarfs arrived. The brook was part of the vast web of rivers and streams that crossed the Swamp of Secrets. It would be through this brook that the mountainhalls would be supplied with the fruits of these dwarfs' labours. Fruits and fishes, for the purpose of this fortress was twofold. To supply the mountainhalls with crops from above-ground fields and fishes from the brooks and ponds. Yet the fishes would have a few more months to enjoy themselves for Kubuk Idenonul, fisherdwarf turned expedition leader, drowned when he crashed through the thinning ice.

Ten (in game) days in, and I already have one death. Lovely omen, huh?

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »

So, along with aesthetics and the challenge of not allowing myself to dig below ground level, I'm going for some mentality changes as well. (Damn, embarking over a desert/mountain was a bad idea; I'm completely out of wood!)
So, firstly I'm being practical. My entire fortress is based around a galena vein; everything branches off that. I make use of every available space before moving on, and as a result everything is very compact. I imagine that Hill Dwarves treat everyone equally; every dwarf shares a room with three others (much better than what they normally get when I'm in charge), there are no real leaders (technically, yes), and everyone happens to be ecstatic. Traders are treated with proper respect; my dwarves even charged to the rescue of some elves that were attacked by vile Stranglers. No matter your profession or race, you have an equal place here in Trappedappear. Ironically, there are no traps; I don't have the fuel to spare for extra weaponry or cages. Once my fortress develops a bit more I'll post screenshots.

EDIT:
Alright, everyone. There is a cave on my embark, currently sealed. Going by my one rule, am I allowed to explore down there? I have several dead critters on my unit list, and am very curious as to what exactly is going on down there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:14:24 pm by Crazy Cow »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:43 pm »

Hmmm. Hard to say. Technically, you'd probably have the mountainhomes military clear it out for you. Maybe if you get some migrant Hunters you could send them down in?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

(Personally Crazy Cow, I would think exploring would be all right. Some intrepid dwarf would likely do so of their own initiative. If I lived near a cave I sure as heck would explore it. Doubly so if I were dwarven.

The rule I'm using for the below ground areas consist more of never having a permanent presence beneath the surface. Mining and resource extraction is ok, but no structures, no long term presence belowground. If the dwarves have to travel long distances to get to things down there it naturally limits my activities. Of course I'm also a believer in efficiency. I will mine out/delve completely all upper layers first. No straight down mining till I hit the magma sea. No 200 z-level staircases.)

Year 603 town of Villagecharms, population:53

It has been a quiet and prosperous year here in Villagecharms. Two things that were never that common back in the mountain home, what with shortages of jobs, supplies, affordable rooms and the like. Our entire defensive wall is now securely built. Incomplete, but securely built. We can work on the upper layers at our leisure. Our pasture area has also been fenced in and we've moved some of the animals in. We didn't see much point in bringing in some of the non-breeding pairs and have left them to roam the hills nearby, foraging for themselves. We even built some kennels and animal training/handling facilities in order to proplery train some of our beasties. We've now got some war beetles and war crabs. Not sure how effective they will be though. We've yet to see any hostile action at all. In fact, all we see is traders come through here. Apparently our blocks are in great demand. Now if only we could charge more for them.

There was a bit of a misunderstanding with some of the elves in spring. We had a container of ash that we use as fertilizer on the fields in among the blocks and it mistakenly got alocated to sell to the elves. They, of course took offense, though we apologized for the mistake they still left without trading. Ah well, inter-racial mis-communications do happen.

Trade with the humans went well, with them taking away nearly two hundred blocks, in exchange for supplies, and some sand so we can make windows to put in our tavern.

Trade with the mountain homes went less well. They claimed the roads were too muddy still for wagons this year and so only brought pack animals. With what we purchased, including a yak in a cage and some, but unfortunately not all, the steel bars, they were only able to take eighty blocks in exchange. We were lucky to get what we did, though more of the steel would have been really nice. Perhaps next year the wagons will come. Until then we really won't be able to start paying off our debts.

Strangely we had a group of hobgoblins and dynosauri arrive near mid-winter to trade and though the reptilian traders had little we needed the hobgoblins had ample room and took away nearly a hundred and fifty blocks in exchange for some more sand bags, drink and some berries and alcohol. We should now have enough sand to properly furnish at least the main building with windows.

In terms of building we finished the tavern and the attached warehouse. There were elections held and a house was also built for the mayor near the trade depot. Smaller row cottages were built also for some of the rest of us and we were able to complete fully twenty and four such dwellings. Well, almost complete. We still need to finish the roofs for the southern twelve. Insufficient for our current numbers but nonetheless an improvement on current conditions.

Mining in the hills likewise goes well and we've abandoned the time and labor intensive channelling of the rock and have adopted the straight-mine technique and we'll just collapse the floors when they are clear. Assuming all goes well, and that we can keep people and animals clear of the area this time. The mine itself is nearing completion, though it is not yet needed as we have ample stone in the hills nearby still. We've even found some more gems in the hills that should help provide ample additional trade goods.

Like I said, it's been a quiet and productive year. One with few serious problems. May the next year be just like it.

The Pasture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The main level

The upper level
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:49:21 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »

Log of Kikrost Shipshimmer, Soldier
As the official record keeper, the people of Trappedappear have nominated me to write this report to you, Queen Vudtharmafol. I, Kikrost Shipshimmer, shall detail the entirety of our fortress and describe our current situation to you in full, as was requested of us.

This is one of the two entrances to the fortress. Here, you can see the military barracks and our training room. Our military is five strong, each equipped in iron taken from the blessed hematite we found in the side of this mountain. We have two axedwarves, a hammerdwarf, a miner turned soldier, and myself, using a dagger I took from a dead goblin snatcher. It is an unorthodox weapon, but it is surprisingly good at piercing armor and has served me well. The bridge is controlled form the dining room further in, and serves to seperate attackers into more manageable waves. The ramp in the corner leads to a small space with emergency rations, should a siege last longer than expected.

This here is the fortress proper. It is built along the same hematite vein as the military barracks, and follows a galena vein further into the mountain. The long tunnel you see leads to underground farms for plump helmets and pig tails. Our dining room is a save haven where civilians retreat during enemy attacks, and contains levers for sealing off the vital parts of the fortress. To the side, we have the bedrooms, with the standard four dwarves to a room setup. Most of our spare time is spent in these rooms. The rest of the area is taken up by various workshops.

Our tomb is, thankfully, unoccupied at the moment, but ready should it be required. We also keep unused artifacts here; we found it fitting to keep our greatest works with those that have died for us here. Our trading post occupies a large part of the hallway, which leads to a pasture for our animals and a refuse stockpile. We have been unable to put forth effort to secure proper grazing area for our animals, due to the constant freezing temperature, and so several have unfortunately died due to the lack of appropriate food.
The only attacks we have suffered are a few skirmishes with the nearby stranglers and a few kobold and goblin thieves. None of the attacks have ever been successful; all advances on us so far have been repelled without injury. We are very low on wood supplies, and we buy every scrap we can from every caravan that comes this way. Despite this, we have managed to get the bare minimum done, with every dwarf getting a bed and a decent amount of fuel being produced. We humbly request more shipments of wood in the future.
The only other feature is a cave complex that leads underground. We have yet to explore it, but we will do so eventually.
We are going strong, our population having evened out at thirty, with five children bringing our population to a respectable number. As per your orders, another report shall be made in a few years, and we will continue to accept the yearly caravan and give them tidings of our fortress.
In your name,
Kikrost Shipshimmer, Soldier and Bookkeeper

OOC:
I accidentally hit the "invert colors" command on my screenshot, and it looks awesome. I shall make use of it immediately.
Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun. My strategy of treating every dwarf respectfully and building compactly has provided a unique-looking fortress, in my opinion. I'm having a great time with this.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2011, 03:08:55 pm »

Excellent! Very cool seeing what people are doing.

I'm planning on spending a chunk of time this weekend on my restart. So I should have a report up sometime in the next few days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »

Summary of trade, 604. Villagecharms

Another interesting year. I'm afraid the elves were neglected in the spring. We forgot to get the trade goods to the depot fast enough and by the time we were ready to trade they'd already packed up and left. Ah well. It's only elves.

The rest of the year did go rather well though. Quiet and peaceful. Quite nice, all things considered. We've been able to set up rudimentary housing for all dwarves now living in this mining outpost. Though a good portion of them admittedly are against the south facing wall and the residents complain incessantly of people walking about on their roof while they are trying to sleep. At least they have a roof, and some privacy, unlike that damp little hole we carved out initially.

Speaking of the tower is complete, with wheels on top for the raising and lowering of the carts and ventilation system to get us below. We don't really need it at the moment but it's always nice to have ready for when we do. We clearly haven't run out of stone yet and even clearing off the first twenty feet or so of the nearby hill is still supplying us with ample stone to cut into blocks. I'm even becoming quite adept at it. I believe we came very close this year to exporting nearly a thousand blocks to the various merchants that came through here. Our homeland accepted about three hundred blocks and about five or six bins of cut gemstones in trade and another two hundred and the remainder of our cut gems as an offering to repay our settlement debts. Just over a thousand ingots were paid off. We were able to acquire a few more bars of steel and some drink we're running a tad short on. In addition to a caged Yak bull.

And at the end of the year the hobgoblins showed up with some more metal which we were glad to accept. They took away about two hundred and seventy blocks in exchange for the metal and some bags of sand as well as some new varieties of food and drink. The dynosauri that came with them had little of interest to us.

Another notable achievement this year is the creation of our third artifact and one that comforted the fears of many of our number. An artifact Iron spear. I'll have to get the description and details from someone else before I can put it in this report but the lye-maker (who apparently dabbled in weaponsmithing on the side) is now legendary. Skilled enough I dare say to crank out a few needed axes and picks for us as well as making at least a handful of weapons to supply ourselves with should the need arise. We don't have the metal for much more than that. If only we could reach a trade agreement with our cousins, the mountain dwarves, to the north. They live underground, strangely enough, and apparently find all sorts of metals and such as they excavate their homes.

With the spear in mind we saw to our defenses a little more and were able to direct our surplus blocks towards improving the fortifications around our village and constructing some new buildings. We were running woefully low on wood, what with it needed for charcoal, flooring and the mine shaft. We've had to use stone for the floors of most newer buildings and it looks like that trend may be here to stay. The new seed warehouse near the farms will be solid stone, and probably better for it. At least the tavern is properly wood. Someone could get hurt in the bar fights that happen there.

Other than that, like I said, it's been very quiet. We were able to get the moat-defense running with a minimum of trouble though someone accidentally filled it earlier than hoped and sent dwarves scurrying out of the trench to avoid the water rushing through. A good four dozen chunks of rock had to be abandoned to the elements because of it. At least we got a well out of it first though, with the water source coming all the way into the center of town and a well made out of green copper, with a silver chain. Very nice looking. Solid oak bucket. Warms my heart just looking at it. We'll have to make a proper town square around it. One of the masons even thought to install some steel bars to prevent unwanted critters from showing up in the well water. At least anything large and aquatic should be impeded.

I'll include the economic summary below and some sketchings as well, for posterity sake.

Summary

Main level

Second level

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:11 pm »

Wow, I did this over the summer and completely forgot to post once classes started up!

I took the term "hill dwarf" literally - my dwarves live in the hills!

My strategy was to sell glazed pots of produce to every caravan.  Industry took a while to set up, but pots of flour and sugar eventually started to flow - with pots, plants, processing, and bagmaking all done on-site. 

I forced my dwarves to all sleep in a single dormitory, until children started being born.  When that happened, I would dig a little home for the new family, separated from the others, and name the dwarves according to their lineage so I could keep track of who belonged to what family. 

In the first year at some time the elves happened by with a giant moose, which I did my best to keep alive.  The damn thing grazed so fast that I had to rotate it through 3 designated pastues to prevent it from dying of starvation.  The eventual goal was to start a giant moose breeding program, which would have been quite entertaining. 

I resticted myself to only the simplest defenses.  I had two archers, and a drawbridge, as well as the pallisade wall.  The greatest defense was the stream which cut through the hill, allowing a drawbridge to be used to deter attackers.  This did well in fending off the multitude of badgermen roaming the hills, but unfortunately the first goblin attack was crippling enough for me to simply give up on the settlement. 
where is up?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2011, 01:24:07 am »

Cool! This reminds me that I never finished my fort. I should do that sometime, although I don't know if that'll happen for a bit. But I do have the save, so I can start that up again.
Come play Mafia with us!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:45 am »

Ditto!

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »

this sounds like an interesting challenge i think i'm gonna try it.

my rules:
1.Only 100 cubic urists of stone can be mined(or designated to mine) a year.
2.Dwarves will live in houses determined by their craft's dworfship a shitty 3x3 clay hut for 1-5 a 5x5 clay hut for 6-10 a 5x5 stone hut for 10-15 and a 5x5x2 stone room/hut for 16-20.
3.Only export clay products probably is going to take a long time to set up magma kilns (if at all) so this is gonna be interesting especially since i haven't played past 3 years in a fort.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]