Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Hill Dwarf Challenge  (Read 10456 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:56 am »

Year 602 outpost of Villagecharms

Now that the year is over I'm somewhat amazed at how profitable this mining thing is turning out. We mine stone, carve it into blocks and sell them to the traders. Granted, most of the blocks this year went to building a wall around our community, but it's plenty spacious. We're not even using half the room now, and this year we hope to add a chunk of the northern valley to keep as paddock for the beasts. There's a series of ponds in the paddock which should make the animals feel right at home.

The central mineshaft is progressing, though the tower isn't complete yet so we've not yet begun to dig down. Instead we're clearing the tops of the hills nearby. It should serve a dual purpose, providing stone and ensuring that enemies with bows and such cannot attack us from above. We've also found a great number of gemstones in the hills which have proven particularly lucrative for trade. At least a half dozen of them have been large enough to be of particular mention and our gemcutter even managed to make a *large milky white opal* that we've set aside to trade to our homeland with.

Food was running disturbingly low until I had our carpenter make some wood bolts and one of the new migrants with some weapon smithing skill made a crossbow out of royal bronze or some such alloy. A few lesser weapons of copper were also forged, and some new picks to supplement our supply and to provide tools to the miners in the migrant waves that came. We've now got about 5 miners, and 20 or so semi-professional masons, led by myself. One of them even produced a splendid artifact chair. Granted all he used was claystone, but it's very comfortable. In fact I used it as a central furniture piece in the tavern. Err.... inn. Cafe? No... that sounds too elvish.

Anyways, we also had a metalcrafter make some other artifact do-hickey... I'll have go look at it again to see what it was. Fellow claims he's a legendary metalcrafter now. Not like we have a lot of metal for him to work with. I'm sure he'll stick around though. We're a mining colony. We're bound to find metal eventually. But our primary export will continue to be gems and stone I think.

Speaking of exports, we traded some blocks to the elves in springtime, both high elves and wood elves. Only about 20 or so since their animals couldn't take more. We got some berries and food in return. The humans and ... what were those other things again... came in summer. Or maybe it was just the humans. Anyways, they brought some heftier animals and we traded nearly a hundred blocks to the humans for drink, food, and a few more bags of sand. I've decided our inn needs some windows in it. Help lighten up the place and all that.

Come fall we traded nearly 200 blocks to the dwarves, though that large gemstone fetched a pretty sum, and we were able to purchase some bars of steel from them for it, as well as more food, a cage or two, and some drink as well. The silver xelics, the arctic fox-people, came as well and they got blocks and some of the lesser value large gemstones that they seem to be so fond of, in exchange for some leather we can use for bags and whatnot. Too many seeds lying around loose.

We've got the farms up and running on the south side, near the brook and if we need to water crops in the future that's a simple matter with the wood screw pump we have set up.

All in all, it's been a fine, quiet and prosperous year. The primary wall is finished, we hope to have the pasture area properly fenced by the end of spring. If we're lucky we'll get a good perimeter moat around it as well.

The mine shaft is coming along well enough and we might finish that this next year, but we've plenty of stone in the hills still and the carpenters might be better served attending to our housing situation. There are 54 of us now in the central barracks and it's far too crowded. I'll have to see about talking to people and beginning to set up housing. I think housing blocks are probably the best way to go, with some larger buildings for the more successful and prominent citizens, myself included of course. I do need a better office after all.

Anyways, back to work, that stone isn't going to cut itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2011, 01:07:10 am »

Well, the issue is that they eat too much. I recommend going into the raws and changing the grazer tag to [GRAZER:25]. That should help keep them from starving to death. They should also stop getting into fights over the food after this since they won't constantly be on top of each other.
Thanx, I'll adjust the tag, I eventually put the offspring to the knife, but couldn't process the meat fast enough and two thirds of it rotted before the butchery could be cleared.  Must.  Make.  More.  Storage.  Space........

It'll be fixed in my next release for Civilization Forge but you'll need to do it yourself this time.
Looking forward to it.

Not sure about the fat thing, but butchering young animals has odd effects in DF.
Now that's unusual - undocumented features in a game.

As for the embark.  My first attempt got boring very quickly, so I started again.
I decided to use the available resources to inaugurate Father Dorfmas, a jolly(!) old gent who makes toys and gouges the merchants for every dorfbuck he can get.  He lives in a claystone representation of a Dorfmas tree - well, its still being built so it will eventually look like one.  No digging underground, but flattening the real estate to one level, once its all level, the strip mining will continue until the stone tree is completed.  Until then, stone and wood toys for all the good humie and dorf children, but not elfies, they get charcoal, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Cheerz,
Darkening Kaos, CIS.

Edit: What needs to be done to make it possible to make toys out of bone?
What with the land strider migrations and other animals falling into a series of cage traps, I have a large source of bone and a need to use it for export.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:03:21 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:33 am »

Edit: What needs to be done to make it possible to make toys out of bone?
What with the land strider migrations and other animals falling into a series of cage traps, I have a large source of bone and a need to use it for export.
I've got no idea, Looking through the RAWs i see that Toys have [hard_mat], and bone has [ITEMS_HARD] , i assume this means that it's good for all items that say [hard_mat], but if it doesn't ... er?
Try adding [BONE] to the raws under the toy items, i notice material_template_default has [BONE] right underneath [Items_hard] for bone so it's worth a shot...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:42:29 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2011, 10:34:04 am »

Hmm...tough one. You could make a new reaction to do it, but then you'd need to gen a new world which means your current stockpile of bone wouldn't matter.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2011, 04:17:22 pm »

The eleventh of Granite, 251: Lanlarikul Dural faced its first invasion. An invasion of raccoons. The vile creatures came from all sides, shocking the dwarfs as they had their evening drink. The Tools of Wire, the local militia squad, rapidly sprang into action, challenging the raccoons to combat. A mighty battle was fought between these brave militiamen and the terrible raccons. However the raccoons' teeth could not penetrate the stout pig tail armour of the militia, while the militia could strike out with impunity, often strangling a raccoon in each hand. The raccoons, seeing their number being slaughtered, beat a hasty retreat. And thus the outpost was saved from its greatest threat. So far...

EDIT: Also, my lazy expedition leader has finally decided to look over the trade agreements.

EDIT2: And 99 Turkeys (most of them poults).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:29:25 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »

Think I might give this a shot. I'll go with metalworking as an industry as I have a terrible time getting an efficient metalworking layout up in pretty much any situation. As an added condition, there can be no workshops, living quarters, anything underground aside from mining, obviously. No metal may be used in constructions (Walls, workshops, etc) as an additional catch. Invasions will be turned off. Aaaaaand finally I'll be updating yearly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:42:09 pm by Seriyu »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:28 pm »

Gah. Looks like I'll be starting over. My save seems to have gotten corrupted last night. Not really sure how, but it won't load up today.

Shame, too, the village was doing really well. Although I think I'll be able to do a more structured design this time. My last one was a bit haphazard.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »

I'm a tad curious Paulus Fahlstrom, what mod are you running?

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

I'm a tad curious Paulus Fahlstrom, what mod are you running?

He's using the save that I posted, which is Civilization Forge.
Come play Mafia with us!

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »

Yup... I tend to be a purist, though it drives my wife crazy watching me play a game with a bunch of little symbols on the screen. I'll be "look, this is the meadow, here are the pine, that one looks like a larch, there are some berry bushes, oooh and a butterfly...never mind, it's gone."

"All I see is a bunch of symbols... and someone that needs to do the dishes."

Yeah. I get that response a lot.  ;D

So just Mephansteras' Civ forge and no graphics pack. Working on building up the town now. Once I get the mining shaft tower up and running I'll convert that area to the mine itself. Strictly to be mined... no living quarters below ground. That sort of thing is for our more socially inept cousins, the mountain dwarves. Heh. And hobbits. Of course.

Since I'm posting here's the first two artifacts created.

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 01:43:57 am »

*cracks knuckles*
I need something to distract me from my ponies. What better thing than a challenge?
Of course, I'm only going to be following the general theme of "Hill Dwarves," as trading and architecture don't really fit my style... at least, not exclusively. So...

1) I may give no orders to my dwarves below the z-level my wagon starts on.
2) There is no #2.

I'll toss a few FD races in there, and ensure that I can make real weapons out of wood (probably going to change that pansy "training spear" into a real weapon). Wooden spears aren't all that bad, you know. So, other than trying to be a "Hill Dwarf" I am going completely against what the rest of you are doing :P
Shallow metals will be my friend.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »

Hmm, something to keep me from getting bored and abandoning- a challenge. (I get bored and abandon a lot) (Or purposefully suicide)
I'll be a mining fort...
I'm using the Arena Battles mod, which is basically just some work that's been done to the metals for the Arena Battles, so the metals Copper, Iron, Bronze, Steel, Faerie Silver (replaces silver), Shadowsteel (black candy/steel mix, at least in flavor), and blue candy are all based off of iron with certain stats multiplied by their place on the power scale, and with nostun and no sleeping given to gnomes and kobolds (nostun to help in arena battles, and nosleep to make them usable elsewhere) and an ore edit. [Cassiterite has a small chance of producing shadowsteel]
So yeah.
Nevermind... for some reason dwarven civilizaitons can't be placed here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:10:31 pm by Powder Miner »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2011, 04:38:54 pm »

The fortress of Lanlarikul Dural crumbled on the 4th of Hematite, 252. The damn elves appeared as if out of no where, slaughtering the turkeys in an orgy of blood and destruction. The dwarfs huddled inside their tower for two terrible, sleepless nights, listening to the terrible sounds of slaughter. The elves, being the wily scum that they are, managed to unlock the protective doors of the fortress on the third day. There followed a great and terrible slaughter, before the ragged survivors surrendered to the blasted elves.
Of those dwarfs ten managed to avoid the elven cooking pots.
Of those ten four managed to escape and clutches of the elves and escape into the hills.
Of those four three managed to elude the elven patrols that came after them.
Of those three two survived the arduous journey back to the mountainhomes, to tell of their defeats.
Of those two one had the literacy to write a book about his exploits.
This is not that book.

In reality the elves attacked before I could secure my turkey fields, meaning that I was facing a siege with too many hungry mouths and not enough farmers. My military had no training what-so-ever (ironically one of the reasons that I didn't secure my turkey fields in time was because I was making a nifty tower for my military to train/shoot out of), and I'd forgot to make sure that my marksdwarfs actually had bolts supplied to them.

In other words, when the elves attacked the screen became obscured by my palm whacking my face. And thus my fortress crumbles. Oh well, I'll just start a new one.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:16 am »

I'm going to play this as straight as possible, i'll turn invasions off for the first few years and keep mu pop cap down till my industries are going, and also try to trade for 95% of what i need, make my buildings aboveground/dug into soil layers only, and only allow minimal mining/other industries.
And i should mention i was going for textle industry, just as soon as i finish making a few more dye colours.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:48 am »

Meh, screw it, I'm going to do it vanilla.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7