Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Hill Dwarf Challenge  (Read 10454 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The Hill Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »

Elves are the least of our worries. The deserts to the West of here are crawling with Sand Raiders.

I gen'd my own world, so elves are the most of my worries. But nothing that a strong wall and sharp bolts can't keep out.

Ah. Nevermind, then.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:20 pm »

hey was wondering if i could join and create a village were every home has its own farm field and i export raw crops only, no processing.
I think I posted a challenge somewhere's in that each dwarf had to have a 5x5 farm plot next to his/her hut.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

Underground village going well... except for the Giant Cave Spider lurking nearby.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »

Nice i suppose great minds think alike

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »

GCS defeated... but it took down 3 dorfs with it. Now only one miner, the woodworker and the two dwarfs with farming labors are alive. And it's still spring. Bloody carp, this is Fun.

EDIT: scratch that, one of the survivors just suffocated due to the poision.

EDIT2: And then a cave crocodile went and killed another one, leaving two miserable dwarfs that can go insane any second.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:48:10 pm by Deathsword »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »

lol nice, ya I just got mobbed by like 10 honey badgers killed two dwarves and my crabs and alpacas.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 06:37:12 pm »

Just got mobbed by troglodytes. Only one dwarf and most of the animals left. Summer migration wave nearly coming. The only survivor is getting de-sensitized, so hopefully he won't go mad before migrants come. Time to make some coffins.

EDIT:
Spoiler: post-battle village (click to show/hide)

EDIT 2: I now clearly belive this site is cursed, at least for me. One migrant and an elk bird decided to take the same path... and then both dodged into an empty space, falling 2 Z-levels as a result, at the same time. My militia commander is currently wrestling the elk bird to death while my butcher lies uncouncious.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:53:18 pm by Deathsword »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »

:o lol sounds like most of my fortresses, but no worries you can do it lol

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2011, 07:58:11 am »

Sounds interesting, i haven't been able to keep myself playing one embark for very long, i think a nice theme with specific rules/goals would help.
I figure Hill dwarves would basically be a surface settlement without heavy industry, no magma,no metalworking or weapons, all that stuff imported from the mountainhomes.
Basically a farming or trade community.
I would like to try a high quality dyed, decorated silk clothing settlement with a few extra dye colours modded in, and burrows seperating working areas (green/blue/yellow/red/etc)
Just a small question first, will traders eventually bring be some cave spiders, or should i just embark a few times untill i can find a nice surface cave that has some for my industry?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:58 am »

As far as I know, traders never bring vermin. Although you could specifically trade with the mountain homes for spider silk thread, which you could then dye and weave into cloth.

You could also have a tunnel going down to the caverns and just wall off an area for spider silk collection.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

Traders will technically bring vermin (they're scattered around in unlabeled cages, you can spot them because the cages will cost a little more than expected) but I'm not sure they're good for anything besides zoos.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:31 pm »

Joining

Self-Imposed Rules

All military dwarfs learn by battle no training at all.
No trap except for cage traps for animals

Fortress goal make pottery/glass WITHOUT magma.

Embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The birth of a outpost:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:21:36 pm by Light forger »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

A quandry for you.
I managed to catch a migration of Land Striders, killed off the excess males and left with a breeding pair plus one calf.  The problem I have is the calf is constantly fighting its mother, they are all tamed and eating my pasture down to bare ground, but I can't figure out why the child is always fighting.

I could simply slaughter the lot and not worry about for food for the next few years - slaughtering the two males and one calf took me from 0 meat to 800 or so, my bookkeeper has a ? after it so he's just guessing.  Also, while I'm talking striders, the calf didn't generate any fat, but the adults did, (Masses and masses of fat!!).

Cheerz,
Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:39 am »

Well, the issue is that they eat too much. I recommend going into the raws and changing the grazer tag to [GRAZER:25]. That should help keep them from starving to death. They should also stop getting into fights over the food after this since they won't constantly be on top of each other.

It'll be fixed in my next release for Civilization Forge but you'll need to do it yourself this time.

Not sure about the fat thing, but butchering young animals has odd effects in DF.
Come play Mafia with us!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:01 am »

About the fighting anything from about a yak size up will attack if two are in the same square with large animals a 3x3 pasture each normally keeps them feed and stops fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7