Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Breeding animals  (Read 5230 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding animals
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 11:16:19 am »

Breed turkeys. Build a seprate next box room for each female, keep one (large) male alive in his own room, keep one (large) female in a 1x1 room, set the door as locked, unlock it everytime a clutch of eggs hatch and put the females in there own room's, and the males in a pasture somewhere untill you butcher them (they may attack each other).

After a few generations you will have more eggs than you know what to do with, and bone and leather from the turkeys, as well as meat. Ocasionally you may feel a bit of guilt stuffing animals into tiny rooms in the dark till they die of old age, but it's better that starving dwarfs.

dont need a seperate nest box for each female, just check which one is nesting and if you want it to breed. have a lockable door in front. put any spawns in a cage, dont bother letting them slow your fps. when they mature you can send them to a pasture to get butchered or start laying more eggs/ fertilize more eggs from a cage
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 11:23:58 am »

it has been found (not by me but has been claimed to be found) that selective breeding works too. So sending skinny, weak dogs to the butcher is moraly sound

I can definitely confirm this.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 12:48:31 pm »

I once brought two giant toads (male and female) and two giant olms (male and female) on embark hoping they would breed. I locked them in their own rooms full of nest boxes, but never in the duration of seven years did they produce live offspring or claim a nest box. Are they unbreedable? I looked in the raws, and they don't have a child stage. I thought of putting the croc's child stage and egg laying specifications in there or something, but haven't tried. Though giving cave crocs [TRAINABLE] turned out ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, with their massive size, fast growth rate, and litters of 30-40 crocs.

In the unmodded game, only creatures with the [PET] tag will breed.  Creatures with [PET_EXOTIC], and creatures with neither [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] won't breed, even if they're tame.  Also, creatures without the CHILD: tag won't breed.

Good to know. thx. Some time I'll try to get a child and pet tag for some of my favorite creatures. Though it seems like a giant toad should only breed in water, though I have a feeling that can't be done just in the raws. Of course its a toad, and not a frog. but anyway.

When I'm on a tropical major river map, I get a lot of hippo birth messages, even though they are wild. Do all critters do that? I've never gotten a camel birth message, or god forbid a badger birth message. and are there any sentients that will do that?

I've seen wild giant badgers, honey badgers, and camels all birth babies.  Basically need to be contained and kept on the map for an extended period of time for that to happen.
I guess it just goes to show I'm your standard DF player that the first thing i thought of when I read this was: Hey! If I can manage to lure  at least a breeding pair of badgers into a moat and seal it, I'll have one hell of an interesting dodge-this landing spot for invaders!  :P
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 09:23:28 pm »

You get the hippo birth messages because hippos are permanent residents.  They stick around on the map long enough to get pregnant and give birth.  Wild camels wander on and off the map and don't hang around long enough to give birth, unless you catch some of them and put them in a sealed room somewhere.

Sentients usually only breed if they're part of your fortress.

Interesting... that opens up a whole new world of mega projects. I looked up animal people, and they aren't sentient it seems, although they still form civs. They don't have the pet or pet exotic tag either, but I've heard of instances of them breeding. does this mean that a wild animal or animal person only needs the child tag to breed? And will wild animals claim nest boxes?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »

I'm not a big fan of breeding herbivores any more. They're more trouble than they're worth. Carnivores and birds are best, since they don't eat. But seriously, if you fort isn't generating piles of bones and fat of its own accord, you're doing something wrong. Forgotten beasts, dead guard dogs and pastured watchkeeper poults always generate a steady stream of dwarven delectables, soap and training ammo.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 10:36:25 pm »

And will wild animals claim nest boxes?

They used to, but they don't any more. It was kind of exploitable. You could set up a couple of nest boxes surrounded by cage traps and have a plentiful supply of wild egg-layers getting themselves captured. Run NoExotics and you'd have an instant Cave Crocodile farm!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »

And will wild animals claim nest boxes?

They used to, but they don't any more. It was kind of exploitable. You could set up a couple of nest boxes surrounded by cage traps and have a plentiful supply of wild egg-layers getting themselves captured. Run NoExotics and you'd have an instant Cave Crocodile farm!

You can always make them just livebirth instead.
(Warning, will almost certainly flood your fortress in furious animal babies).

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »

So, is the less confusing description "To breed they must have both [PET] and [CHILD], no exceptions"?

Exception: Dwarves don't have the [PET] tag. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 [2]