Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breeding animals  (Read 5242 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding animals
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

Just a little help for someone used to growing rather than grazing; how does animal breeding work? If I was to have one male, would I be able to have as many females as I wanted and they'd still all breed?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding animals
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:04 am »

"If I was to have one male, would I be able to have as many females as I wanted and they'd still all breed?" yes (adult male)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:56:24 am »

"If I was to have one male, would I be able to have as many females as I wanted and they'd still all breed?" yes (adult male)

Thanks

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »

it has been found (not by me but has been claimed to be found) that selective breeding works too. So sending skinny, weak dogs to the butcher is moraly sound
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »

it has been found (not by me but has been claimed to be found) that selective breeding works too. So sending skinny, weak dogs to the butcher is moraly sound

I can confirm. Make sure your male is fat and gigantic, and your animals will give you plenty of food when butchered.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:07:20 pm »

the question was if those traits are inherited :p
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:09 pm »

They are
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »

I didn't think to check their descriptions, but I had a fort (about three or four back) where I was attempting to get a herd of horses going.  I had two males and one female.  I kept butchering a stallion every spring/early summer when it reached adulthood for six years because the mare kept foaling males and not more females and I didn't want six stallions to one mare.  I never did get another mare before the fort ended (I goofed and flooded a bunch of stuff, effectively killing the fort).

I'm working on a herd of goats in my current fort.  I've got two or three nanny's and at least one billy goat (not to mention the three baby goats).  I'll have to check their descriptions.  You know ... for !!science!!. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »

I once brought two giant toads (male and female) and two giant olms (male and female) on embark hoping they would breed. I locked them in their own rooms full of nest boxes, but never in the duration of seven years did they produce live offspring or claim a nest box. Are they unbreedable? I looked in the raws, and they don't have a child stage. I thought of putting the croc's child stage and egg laying specifications in there or something, but haven't tried. Though giving cave crocs [TRAINABLE] turned out ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, with their massive size, fast growth rate, and litters of 30-40 crocs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

I once brought two giant toads (male and female) and two giant olms (male and female) on embark hoping they would breed. I locked them in their own rooms full of nest boxes, but never in the duration of seven years did they produce live offspring or claim a nest box. Are they unbreedable? I looked in the raws, and they don't have a child stage. I thought of putting the croc's child stage and egg laying specifications in there or something, but haven't tried. Though giving cave crocs [TRAINABLE] turned out ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, with their massive size, fast growth rate, and litters of 30-40 crocs.

In the unmodded game, only creatures with the [PET] tag will breed.  Creatures with [PET_EXOTIC], and creatures with neither [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] won't breed, even if they're tame.  Also, creatures without the CHILD: tag won't breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »

In the unmodded game, only creatures with the [PET] tag will breed.  Creatures with [PET_EXOTIC], and creatures with neither [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] won't breed, even if they're tame.  Also, creatures without the CHILD: tag won't breed.

Good to know. thx. Some time I'll try to get a child and pet tag for some of my favorite creatures. Though it seems like a giant toad should only breed in water, though I have a feeling that can't be done just in the raws. Of course its a toad, and not a frog. but anyway.

When I'm on a tropical major river map, I get a lot of hippo birth messages, even though they are wild. Do all critters do that? I've never gotten a camel birth message, or god forbid a badger birth message. and are there any sentients that will do that?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 09:49:56 pm »

So, is the less confusing description "To breed they must have both [PET] and [CHILD], no exceptions"?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »

When I'm on a tropical major river map, I get a lot of hippo birth messages, even though they are wild. Do all critters do that? I've never gotten a camel birth message, or god forbid a badger birth message. and are there any sentients that will do that?

You get the hippo birth messages because hippos are permanent residents.  They stick around on the map long enough to get pregnant and give birth.  Wild camels wander on and off the map and don't hang around long enough to give birth, unless you catch some of them and put them in a sealed room somewhere.

Sentients usually only breed if they're part of your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UristMcFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:26 am »

Breed turkeys. Build a seprate next box room for each female, keep one (large) male alive in his own room, keep one (large) female in a 1x1 room, set the door as locked, unlock it everytime a clutch of eggs hatch and put the females in there own room's, and the males in a pasture somewhere untill you butcher them (they may attack each other).

After a few generations you will have more eggs than you know what to do with, and bone and leather from the turkeys, as well as meat. Ocasionally you may feel a bit of guilt stuffing animals into tiny rooms in the dark till they die of old age, but it's better that starving dwarfs.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:04 am »

Good to know. thx. Some time I'll try to get a child and pet tag for some of my favorite creatures. Though it seems like a giant toad should only breed in water, though I have a feeling that can't be done just in the raws. Of course its a toad, and not a frog. but anyway.

I've seen wild giant badgers, honey badgers, and camels all birth babies.  Basically need to be contained and kept on the map for an extended period of time for that to happen.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: [1] 2