Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Age of Death  (Read 10889 times)

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Death
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

Genned a world with high temp no caverns, 1 civ, no titans,semi,or normal megabeasts. Had no demon or night-creature types. Sorry for poor quality, first time posting pic. It has only the dwarven gods and 3 dwarfs that died in years 4 and 5. It still shows as The Dwarven Age. Any ideas?

Edit:Apparently world was to hot dwarfs bleed to death from steam everywhere mere seconds after un-pausing. Though I did note that I didn't get any sort of message saying the world has advanced to Age of *****.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:34:10 am by Rashemd »
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 03:42:30 am »

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL SCIENCE

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »

@Rashemd
You've got the image link right, just add [img*][*/img] before and after it. (With the *'s removed that is) and then your image will apear as an image instead of a link.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »

Edit:Apparently world was to hot dwarfs bleed to death from steam everywhere mere seconds after un-pausing.

Are you running 31.25? Because I thought that glitch was sorted out several versions ago, and steam was basically harmless now.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 06:00:01 pm »

Thanks for the image tip, I believe the reason they bled out was because i set min/max temp. to around 550-1000.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:22 pm »

Humans are considered a "mundane" creature, I believe they have a direct [MUNDANE] tag on them, in fact.  If the vast majority of creatures are [MUNDANE] then it causes Fairy Tails.  Cougars and foxes and dogs are mundane.  Harpies and unicorns and kobolds are not mundane.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »

Using highly distorted terrain, you can force the titans into combat with civilization, and get others besides elves to kill them off.  If you pave the world with mountains, you end up with mostly dwarves or goblins. If you drown the world in lakes, you're more likely to get elves or humans. By increasing the evil terrain, you favor goblins and lessen the chances of elves. But, human probabilities are also affected by evil terrain. Good terrain favors elves and lessens the chances of goblins.

By using a combination of these in a patch work pocket world with one civ (humans,) I reached the Age of Civilization in the year 477.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sadly, although not more than a hundred beings seemed to be alive at a time for most of the world's creation, I never reached age of death. Even after 10000 years of generation, they never left the age of civilization. So, it's doubtful they simply crumble away eventually.

Also worth noting, in the year 9997, a human dueled a Yeti. So, it would seem you can have at least a tiny number of fanciful creatures about and still reach Civilization age.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I really need to proof read more...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:12:17 pm by DrGravitas »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:40 pm »

That duel also proves humans lived through gen... I'm thinking if they die last, we might get Age of Death

I'm considering that a way to test this would be life-span tinkering and gendercide -- or just really good lifespan tinkering -- so that each species will die at a fixed year.  I would need to know, however, what could be corrected before starting Fortress mode.

I would be more dillegent about attempting to gen an Age of Death without modding, except I think there are safeguards keeping the world alive.

another way to do it might be to kill the civs with unreasonably aggressive megabeast swarms, and then use an unstoppable adventurer to kill megabeasts until the Myth > Legends > Heroes > etc. beast-kill-age-progression finishes, or there are no more megabeasts at which point it becomes time to hunt other non-mundanes.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 2 [3]