Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Age of Death  (Read 10897 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
The Age of Death
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I've been trying to generate a world in the Age of Death -- without editing the raws, if possible.  So far, my attempts have gotten me numerous Twilight Ages and one Age of Fairy Tales (saved the folders for one of each), as well as a few Golden Age, many, MANY Age of Myth, and at least one Age of the Elf

Basic setup:
Pocket Island, with advanced worldgen settings changed to kill off megabeasts/civs

Attempts to Usher in the Age of Death:
In order to generate the Age of Death, enough megabeasts need to have fallen to allow the status of mortal civs to determine the Age -- that is, we can't be locked in the Age of Myths or Age of Legends.  I've tried both radically dialing up and down the titan, Night Creature, and Demon Type numbers.  I seem to get the most age progress with 13 titans and 5 or fewer each demon and night creature species.  I may try eliminating night creatures entirely as they cause potential 'megabeast' population growth unless I am mistaken
Killing the Civs has been... harder.  I can kill them ALL off decently well: a world with a disgustingly low max temperature (say, -100) results in no mortal survival.  I imagine the same would happen to other too-extreme-to-survive conditions, such as very HIGH temperature.  But, if I don;t put them in a situation where they die (hostile climate, low pop cap) they tend to make it in the 10,000 year long run... at least the elves do, and goblins and humans pull through every so often.  I might be able to kill off the elves by drying the world out so that they never spawn, but that brings me to another problem: if the Civs die, the megabeasts don't.  They don't seem to fight amongst themselves, so the only things that CAN kill them, however unlikely, are mortal champions.  Which means the fools need to live long enough or start numerous enough to bring down the beasts.  I've gotten beast kills down with a huge number of starting civs, but then at least a couple make it.

Any advice?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Death
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

Looks like you need an epic adventurer, to be the single mortal being left alive in the barren wastes, who kills every single monster in the land! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:40 pm »

Could you just set megabeasts to zero?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »

But then it wouldn't really be death, would it? Just nonexistence.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

Could you just set megabeasts to zero?

I can set titans, demons, and night creatures: I don't know if any of that effects proper megabeasts like Dragons, Hydras, and so on, but I'll try a basically unsurvivable (cold and dry) map with no megas and see what age it hits.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

1 civ, playable required, impossibly cold and dry, no megabeasts, popcap in the hundreds: Dwarven Age
Same, but with a popcap after civ creation of 1: Age of Sloron
Same, pop cap increased to 7: Age of the Bronze Colossus
Same, Pop cap to 50: The Hydra Age
Pop cap to 100; added 3 titans to be killed and advance age.  Titans have no attack requirements.: Age of Myth
Same, 1 titan: Age of Myth
Same, 13 Titans: Age of Myth
No titans, 1 night creature type: Age of the Roc
13 night creature types: Age of Keshan
Same, but no pop cap: Age of the Bronze Colossus (but all mortals died, as the historical figs counters stopped moving)
No pop cap, no night creatures, 13 titans: Age of Myth
As above, titan attacks set to 20 pop or better: Age of Myth, dwarves survived 10k years too.
As FIRST condition, but no pop cap: The Draconic Age
Same as above (hoping for a more killable mega): The Age of Stingbol
Again: The Age of the Dragon
Attack requirement of 7 pop: The Age of the Dragon
Attack requirement 20: The Age of Togal (Dwarves died out)
Trying that one again: The Age of Thocit (Dwarves lived)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:52 pm »

Is it possible to set landmass to 0?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Jinsanity

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarven Medicine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:00 pm »

What about setting megabeast caves and semimegabeast caves to 0? does that change anything?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

I'll get no embarkable civs then... unless...

New paramaters: lowering elevation...

Pocket Island, 10k year history, no stoppage for dead megabeasts, max elevation 1: all rejects allowed.  Age of Bronze Colossus and Hill Titan: one evil volcano peaked above the surface of the water.
As above, but reduced titans/demons/NCs to 0: All rejects allowed, Age of the Bronze Colossus.  Still had land on the volcano: the Land of Stokers in the middle of the aptly named Great Blueness
As above, but reduced volcanism to under 100 max: All rejects allowed.  The Age of Emptiness occured with 12 Historical Figures (fbs?), 0 dead, and 12 events.  Checking game modes...  Legends only world.  indeed, the historical figures are FBs.  the events don't show, I assume them to be the FBs beginning to wander the depths of the world in the time before time...

This isn't the civ-less but still theoretically useful Age of Death, but it does provide some interesting ‼Science‼
1) FBs don't count towards Ages.
2) For a second attempt, I turned demon types back on (to 13.  I always have 13 demon types) and got Age of Emptiness in Year 2, before DF crashed while world-genning.
3) Tried it again with HFS, it crashed again, this time on placing civs...
4) Third attempt with HFS, I once again lost DF on Age of Emptiness year 2.  It seems that HFS have... issues with forceing the age of emptiness like this, despite living in their very Fun place.  Perhaps to do with their breaking loose?
5) Tried again, with demon types = 1.  Hopefully, HFS will exist but not be "twisted into humanoid form" and thus not attempt to escape the underworld.  The Age of Emptiness genned correctly, so it would seem that HFS beneath the world don't count towards Ages either.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23:45 pm »

Turned off (semi)Megabeast caves, titans, night creatures, and HFS, as well as "beasts dead for stoppage".  10k year history.  Otherwise, the same as a basic pocket island.  World started in The Golden Age and genned 10k years of history in under a minute, going through The First Twilight Age, The First Age of Fairy Tales (which has one event: the abduction of a human by goblins.), The Second Twilight Age (also quite small), and ending in the Second Age of Fairy Tales.

Turned HFS back on with 3 types.  I'll kill them if I get Age of the Demon or something.  Turned civs down to 1, set popcap to 0: hopefully this means mortal dwarves will spawn and die...   Nope, Age of the Dwarf.  Harsher measures required...

Put starting civs to 3, in the hopes they'd start a merry little war.  Turned the world into an Arrakkis wannabe by setting max rainfall to 0.  Rapidly swung between twilight ages and ages of fairy tales, spending most of its time in the Fourth Twilight Age before ending in the Fourth Age of Fairy Tales.

Same as above, but set the world to "Lightless Yuggoth" by reducing the max temp to -100 as before.  World entered the Goblin Age and never looked back, ending with 75 historical figures, 43 of which were dead.  So, if the previous value of 12 FBs is accurate, about a score of goblins.  Tough little blighters.

As above, but civs to 1, forcing dwarves: 48 Hist. Figures, 22 dead: I don't know why this didn't register the Age of Death!  I can start in Dwarf Fortress, Adventurer, or Legends.  Legends reveals some FBs, some dwarf gods, 22 dead dwarves (the last of which was born in 3 and died in 158 of old age, outliving one born in 14 by 49 years and her husband who died in 77 by 81.), and a mass of Blizzard Men.  Her story is kind of interesting... last dwarf alive in a frozen wasteland, constantly being attacked by with and escaping from the Blizzard Man who ate her husband, the last king of her civilization, descending into the depths of the world to tame Elk Birds, jabberers, and all manner of other creatures to aid her in her fight...

Could it be that the Dwarven Gods are keeping the essence of dwarfdom alive by their presence in the Legends list?

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:37:58 pm »

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "The Age of XXXX" do anyway?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:52:20 pm »

Generally nothing, they indicate something about the status of the world.  According to the wiki however, the Age of Death will create a fortress setup with no migrants (save the first two waves?  Those are supposedly hard coded), traders, or siegers.  It seems like an interesting setup for a fort, where dwarfpower and resource collection are the big challenges, and every birth and death matters.  I *could* do it by just setting init options to "no", or editing raws, but I personally think there's also a coolness factor to having a world where civilization has truly crumbled, where you're not just some penal colony no one goes to or bothers attacking, but the very last, attempting to keep the light alive in a hostile world.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:47 pm »

Not only would that be awesome, but think of it:
What if you SUCCEEDED? And became the Mountain-Home? You could abandon it, and slowly, surely, repopulate the world, with hundreds of Forts, made to recreate the world in the image of Dwarf.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:09:15 am »

Also attempting this, if I get one I'll be sure to post a save. First go 10k years of The Age of Dragon and Sand Titan.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:12:04 am »

I'm going to watch this. It looks interesting.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: [1] 2 3