Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Age of Death  (Read 10895 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Death
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:20:09 am »

Looking at the wiki, you need for all civilizations to end, yes?  This could hopefully be achieved with a low pop number and a high megebeast number, banking on them to war and the beasts to kill them as well.  The wiki claims that the Age of Death only cares about civilizations.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:19 am »

Looking at the wiki, you need for all civilizations to end, yes?  This could hopefully be achieved with a low pop number and a high megebeast number, banking on them to war and the beasts to kill them as well.  The wiki claims that the Age of Death only cares about civilizations.

You'll probably still end up with an Age of [Megabeast] or Age of [Megabeast Species] though. The wiki lies about a lot of things.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:22:07 am »

Okay... New theory: If we have no mega/semimega beasts at all, the civs don't seem to die; I think they may need to be killed off by external forces.  I think I can turn titans or night creatures back on while leaving true megabeasts nonexistent.  I would need more than one: enough that a good enough % die  before they finish the mortals that the age advances to one determined by mortal achievement.

Civs: 1 seems to be the best way to hold off the resillance of elves and goblins

‼Science‼ on this track... later, probably tomorrow I'll try genning more worlds: unreasonably aggressive titans/NCs, one dwarven civ under siege.  Hopefully, it will be a long and glorious war of attrition.

@ Girlinhat.  I'll try that one too, but from my previous experiments the world seems to stay in the Age of Myth/megabeast until dying megabeasts force it down.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:41 am »

Hmm-hmm, I see...  So you need enough mythical creatures to kill the civs, and enough civs to kill the myths.  Sounds like you're boned, or you need an alternative method of death.  Modding would be easy enough - mod elves not to breed.  The other civs kill the myths, then they kill each other, and the elves slowly die one by one over a lengthy time.  Ideally.  In practice, you'd probably have one super-powered elf that would defeat the entire world due to eons of training.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:24 am »

If I keep the civs to just dwarves (by having only one civ and forcing it to be playable), they're pretty good about going extinct, it's just a matter of having a hurrah first -- see my last attempt where they DID breed (albeit ineffectivley: two or three total births) and lasted until 158.  I suppose I could make a LOT of civs and a Mountain World (min elevation 400) forcing dwarves, but I might get goblins anyway as I'm not sure where their dark towers can spawn, and the goblins really, really hate dying out.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55:32 am »

Goblin entity raws:
Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[LIKES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
[START_BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN:1]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:1]
They should generate on mountains.

Maybe if you set the starting pop extremely high, then the dwarves would hurrah themselves into the age of fairy tails, and then do dwarfy things to kill themselves into the age of death?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 03:05:40 am »

Hmm-hmm, I see...  So you need enough mythical creatures to kill the civs, and enough civs to kill the myths.  Sounds like you're boned, or you need an alternative method of death.  Modding would be easy enough - mod elves not to breed.  The other civs kill the myths, then they kill each other, and the elves slowly die one by one over a lengthy time.  Ideally.  In practice, you'd probably have one super-powered elf that would defeat the entire world due to eons of training.

If you mod elves to be unable to breed, they'll probably be wiped out by the first rampaging death titan that came their way, or another civ making war on them though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:15:36 am »

Wooden armor, yeah...  They were just the most straightforward to mod.  Dwarves with no breeding would probably do better, but they may need immortality as well.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 03:21:55 am »

Wooden armor, yeah...  They were just the most straightforward to mod.  Dwarves with no breeding would probably do better, but they may need immortality as well.

Well, it depends on how close Tevish Szat wants to stick to vanilla. Goblins are immortal already, and they don't breed, plus their numbers would be supported by kidnapping. Of course then you'd end up with all-human Goblin civs as already happens in vanilla.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 03:39:35 am »

So long as you haven't given the surface farming or river products, turning off caverns would result in the dwarves all starving to death fairly soon.

Also, set Megabeast and Mountain caves to 1 and non-Mountain caves to zero. On a small enough map, that should lead to more encounters between the megabeast and the civilization.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 06:04:43 am »

I thought that all civs being gone results in Age of Emptiness and all CREATURES dead in the world(yes even the wild ones) results in Age of Death?

I think someone did some SCIENCE about this a while back.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 06:41:18 am »

I've tried that bit before, but civilizations are a tenacious bunch. I had no minimum requirements on titan attacks (turns out that only affects when they'll go after your forts) and max number of titans, clown/bogeymen flavors and as many megabeast/semi-megabeast caves as I could cram into the thing.

Still, the civs held on as unthinkable creatures waged eternal wars all around them. I think I pulled the legends up of one of them after about a thousand years and one of the last entries (still in the age of myth) was commemorating the 875th rampage of some beast on some town.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 03:52:39 pm »

@IEB: I got age of emptiness from a world where no land creatures could spawn, leaving FBs as the "only things alive" in Legends.  Emptiness is also what was received from the ‼Science‼ of Datan Worlddoom killing every living thing in Adventurer -- but the Civs were not flagged as dead, so migrants and traders still came in Fortress mode.

Test 1
From basic pocket Island: 1 civ, no (semi)megabeast caves, no titans, 3 clown types, 13 night creature types, ignore beasts dead for stoppage.
Result: Age of the Dwarf -- it seems Night Creatuees do not matter for age.  They will be left on (and clowns restored to 13) for the Final generation, after Age of Death is achieved without them slowing worldgen.

Test 2
As above, but 1 titan with no attack requirements.
Result: The Hill Titan Age -- blighter didn't die.  49 living historical figure means the dwarves were stomped.

Test 3
As above, but 13 titans -- I'd had some luck with this number before, and a singular attack requirement of 20 pop.
Result: Age of Myth.  The dwarves don't seem to be killing titans very well. (or possibly they never drew its attention: see below)

Test 4
Titans turned off, but semimegabeasts back on.  Hopefully, giants and minotaurs will be easier prey.  Semimegabeast caves: 7.  I've also turned night creatures and clowns off to speed up worldgen a little.  if I get the age of death, I can turn them back on and gen again to get a world with more ‼Fun‼
Result: Age of the Dwarf, with 35 living figures, 830 total.  Since only about a dozen could be FBs, this suggests that the dwarves have a stable population of between 10 and 20.

Test 5: as above, but lowered attack requirement to 10 population and increased semimegabeast caves to 13.
Result: Age of Dwarves, 4422 total historical figures generated with 4383 dead.

Test 6: As above, but replaced the semimegas with titans now that I know the stable pop.
Result: Age of Myth.  6793 total historical figures; 6747 dead.  Of the remaining 45 figures, if we assume 13 titans and 12 FBs, we get 20 living dwarves.

Test 7: Capped titans (1000) with completely unreasonable aggression (attack population of 1)
Result: Age of Myth: The dwarves survived and thrived on this.  However, as the world started with under 1000 historical figures, we can assume

Test 8: No attack requirements, 1 civ, pop cap after civ creation of 0, 1000 titans, megabeast, semimegas: no non-mountain caves and enough mountain caves for all megas and semimegas.
Result: Age of Myth; 480 Historical Figures with 414 dead: the remaining 66?  with such low numbers over 10,000 years they cannot possibly be dwarves!  Checking legends (world can be played in any game mode)...  The last dwarf died in 17.  The legends list is populated from then on by the births and deaths of named cougars, bears, wolves, trolls, giant bats, troglodytes, cougars, and jaguars who did nothing but wander and die of old age, plus the occasional cave dragon still alive.  there were far FAR from 1000 titans
Amusing fact: the dwarves are listed with "He/she was one of the only ones of his/her kind" rather than "first".  They all appear to have been killed by the beasts.

Test 9: pop cap of 0, one civ, no beasts of any kind
Result: the Age of the Dwarf, 688/712 figures dead

Test 10: as above, but 5 civs.
Result: Age of the Elf

Test 11: As above, but dried out so elves can't spawn.
Result: the Golden Age.  The last dwarves died in 141, but at least one was born.  Goblins continued to be born and die throughout all 10000 years of history.
Result 2: This test was accidentally repeated.  The world ended in the Fourth Age of Fairy Tales, with humans as well as goblins surviving

Test 12: As above, but civs 2 and hope for humans (this experiment will be repeared 10 times, or until Age of Death)
Result 1: The Dwarven Age
Result 2: The Age of the Dwarf
Result 3: The Age of Dwarves
Result 4: The Golden Age
Result 5: The Age of the Dwarf
Result 6: The Age of Dwarves
Result 7: The Age of Fairy Tales (21 living units, thousands dead).  Playable in any game mode.  Legends check says the world started in the Twilight Age, and progressed to Fair Tales quickly.  Humans only survived -- why is it not the Age of Humans?  Region Folder saved for ‼Science‼
Result 8: The Age of Fairy Tales... looks to be those darn humans again.
Result 9: The Age of Fairy Tales
Result 10:The Age of Fairy Tales

Test 13: 1 civ, playable not required, dry world, hope for kobolds(?); Repeated 10 times.
Result 1: The Kobold Age, 19 living units, adventurer or legends (no fortress mode). 12 FBs, a Harpy, a Cave dragon, 4 Trolls, and a Troglodyte populate legends as the survivors.  the kobolds all starved in 4, as expected.
Result 2: Age of the Kobold
Result 3: The Age of Civilization: Humans spawned, playable in adventurer or legends.  Legends says humans are still alive.
Result 4: Age of the Kobold.  I swear the game is mocking me
Result 5: Age of Civilization.  Numbers suggest the humans made it (unlike the kobolds)
Result 6: Age of the Kobold
Result 7: The Age of Dwarves (By the numbers, they did not make it)
Result 8: The Age of Goblins (Alive or dead?  I can't tell)
Result 9: The Age of Dwarves (dead)
Result 10: The Age of the Goblin (Extinction unverified)

Takeaway: It seems humans are unique: they to not get their own "age of x" but rather usher in Twilight/Fairy Tales/Civilization.  I might need to have humans and dwarves to get a playable Age of Death...

Test 14: Clean start: beasts/NCs/Titans/Clowns removed, no beasts dead for stoppage, 10k year history, 0 civs, require playable
Result: World generator unable to place controllable civ.  Allowing this rejection type.  Final Result: The Age of Emptiness.  Unlike the Waterworld Age of Emptiness, this is playable in Adventurer, but not Fortress.  Despite the Age, we have a list of historical figures: Cougars, Blind Cave Ogres, Trolls, and other folks that aren't civilized entities wandering around, along with the FBs.  An adventurer can ONLY be started as a Human Outsider.

Test 15: Two civs with playable required, 13 unreasonably aggressive titans.  Repeated 3 times.
Result 1: A long and glorious gen, but Age of myth all the same.  I seem to have gotten double dwarves, and they seem to be no good at monster killing
Result 2: I got humans this time, but the world still remained in the Age of Myth
Result 3: Dwarves in a perpetual Age of Myth.

Test 16: Bumped titans down to 3 in the hopes that sheer dumb luck would make more of a difference.  Repeated 3 times.
Result 1: The Age of Three Powers (Goblins)
Result 2: All three powers died, Age of the Elf with 23 living units.  Playable in all game modes
Result 3: The Age of Three Powers (Humans).  Titans seem to only meet their match at the hands of hyper-experienced elves regularly

Test 17: one titan, one civ. WHO WILL WIN? (repeated)
Result 1: The Dwarven Age: After 7,000 years, the little guys finally lucked out.
Result 2: Age of the Forest Titan
Result 3: Age of the Hill Titan

Test 18: As above, but 2 civs.  Repeated 10 times
Result 1 (goblins): Age of the Hill Titan
Result 2 (Dwarves only): The Hill-Titan Age
Result 3 (Humans): Age of the Mountain Titan
Result 4 (Elves): The Elven Age.  They made short work of the titan...
Result 5 (Elves): The Age of Elves.  Less short work of the titan, but still...
Result 6 (Elves): The Age of the Elf.  Took them a few thousand years this time
Result 7 (Goblins): the Age of the Goblin.  They beat that titan almost as fast as result 4 elves.
Result 8 (Dwarves only): The Age of Dungda.  I'm not sure what Dungda is, but it ruled the world for ever.
Result 9 (Elves): The Elven Age.  About like Result 6
Result 10 (Dwarves): The Age of Meban, and the fewest total historical figures/fastest worldgen in this run

So, what did we learn?
We learned that Elves are the best at killing megabeasts.  Every time they showed as the second civ, the monsters of the world died.  Unfortunately, that just ushers in the Age of the Elf.
We learned that Humans do not usher in the Age of Man or anything like that, but rather the Age of Twilight, Fairy Tales, or Civilization depending on the world around them -- having humans present in worldgen seems like it might be a good thing for the Age of Death.
We learned that an unopposed Civ won't "finally die" even if the last of its members died -- at least not if it's the only world-gen civ -- the Age it triggered by existing alone is not changed.
We learned you can get a playable-in-adventurer Age of Death by genning a world with Civs: 0 and no megabeasts of any kind.  This would probably be Not Entertaining

So, what do we do?
Unless anyone has any bright ideas, we may be out of luck for creating the Age of Death with no modding whatsoever.  The question now becomes how far we have to mod to generate the age.  Here are some ideas if anyone (perhaps with more modding experience) wants to test them before I get around to it
1) Give all sentients Sudden Kobold Death Syndrome (unable to self-feed).  Gen a world with a disgusting number of civs (50-100 on a pocket world) and a few titans.  Run this a few times.  In experiments before this thread, I found that a huge overflow of civs and unreasonable aggression killed the titans really fast -- possibly before year 4.  Hopefully, all civs dying at once will make it recognize Age of Death
2) Same, but no titan, to see if we NEED to start with a Beast
3) Staggered max lifespan on creatures, so humans die last but do die out -- perhaps they will be better recognized as "dead" due to their age progression.  No megas to worry about.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »

Not exactly an Age of Death, but I did get something I'd never seen before: The Sixth Twilight Age.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had been experimenting to see if the mineral scarcity setting affects civilization's expansion (doesn't seem to.) In a moment of inattentiveness, the world rapidly fluctuated between Age of Twilight and Age of Fairy Tales about seven times before it finally ended in The Seventh Age of Fairy Tales.

Humorously, the age description for every age after the second, add "yet again" into the description.

Though, legends reveals nothing noteworthy that would seem to produce the change; Just a bunch of new druid announcements.

The wiki describes the Age of Twilight as There are no wars and other worries, but civilizations are too weak to expand or are crumbling apart. So it looks like the light of civilization flickered violently at first, but never really went out. If it's possible to get a death Age in world gen, I think perhaps it might have to come about only after civilizations have become powerful enough to wipe the planet free of non-mundane creatures. Perhaps after they're wiped out, the civilizations will simply enter a gradual decline until they collapse.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 06:30:49 am »

Are you sure that night creatures are a good idea in your tests? If a dwarf (or elf or whatever) ends up as a bride/groom of one it might stuff up the civ removal when their civ dies out. They end up restrospectively titled as nightcreatures in Legends, but still might be counted as a member of their civ for making "Age of" effects.

My thought is:
Lots of evil, lots of savagery, tiny/small island world, two civs, as many (semi?)-megabeasts as you need. Fairly high volcanism and low mineral resources can't hurt either.

I'll gen up a few tomorrow and tell you how I go.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3