Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21829 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Imush is, indeed, my MCom. Fikod is a Grand Master Mason and I gave ONE statue-order which was this one. Unfortunately it's worth 'just' 300 but this will replace the Kaolinite statue in Imush' small tomb.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:58 pm »

Two prominent ones come to mind from my last really successful 40d fortress, both of which involve the elves.

I'd modded them to bring caravan guards, mostly out of pity, and also given them spears and maces instead of wooden swords. The first elven caravan after the fort had gone into the wholesale clothing business in a big way was ambushed by goblins, and a single elf took out five of them with his mace before taking a crossbow bolt in the back just as my own forces arrived to render assistance. I erected a statue on the spot where he fell.

A couple of years later, another elven caravan had the misfortune to arrive at the same time as a dragon. Immediately, the archer bringing up the rear of the caravan turned around and began loosing shaft after ineffectual shaft into it as the merchants ran for their lives and I frantically tried to organise some sort of military response. He didn't survive and didn't even seem to hurt the dragon (a novice speardwarf ended up credited with the kill, although about half the fortress piled on in the end so it was more of a team effort), but ever since that day, my forts have treated the elves with the very greatest respect and courtesy.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 07:42:05 am »

My siege operator had a pretty rough life. First she had a miscarriage which by itself is horrible but a short time later she went out to haul the wood from a work site at the precise moment a marauding army of Giant Badgers decided that she looked delicious. Well that's nothing new so I send out my Badger Brigade to get them off of her.

Well there's two things you should know about the badger brigade. First, their only purpose was to run up to Badgers and Macaques and scream booga booga so they stopped interrupting my workers- it was more important that there be alot of them than it was that they were killing machines so there were ten men with nine weapons. Second, apparently only one of them was nearby.

This poor fool was the odd man out and with no weapon he launched an attack against the badger with his bare hands. The badger didn't like that and started ripping off limbs and by the time the rest of the squad got there to chase it into a trap he had already bled out but he distracted it long enough to ensure that the siege operators major injuries didn't become mortal injuries.

I take a look at her description to see how she was doing in the hospital and as it turns out the idiot who decided to go solo was her husband. Her husband attacked a giant animal menacing with giant claws and terrible fangs with his bare hands so his wife would have a fighting chance.

The kicker? She had gotten pregnant a short time earlier and carried the baby to term in the hospital.
Bonus for sadists: I dropped the offending badger down a nine z drop and it was torn apart by wolves.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 07:53:42 am »

i had a dwarf girl that gave birth while on fire, and somehow the baby was ok, it died from thirst later on
!!Heartwarming!!

*evil laugh*

I'm sure that being fire warmed her heart. Warmed to a fine, husked, black crisp, in fact.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

My legendary pistolman ran outta ammo while fighting the infected, and ran in, only to get beat up.
Yeah, the rest of the squad saved him with the bullets and gun-butts.
He was put to his room and shortly after getting out of his room, he died from infection.
Poor guy.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]