Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21822 times)

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:12 am »

Back in 40d, this is what made me decide to just play dwarf fortress for the rest of my life. Its both heart warming and heart wrenching.

There was a siege, my military took some casualties.  During the battle one of my dwarves got her eye ripped out, this caused her to go into labor and give birth on the middle of the battlefield.  She picked up her baby, picked up her weapon, and proceeded to lay into the enemy.  Unfortunately her husband died during the same battle.

Unfortunately, the constant pain from the missing eye was causing her and her baby to nearly starve to death on multiple occassions, I didn't know what to do.  I did everything I could to keep her alive since I didn't want the baby to starve to death in her arms.  So I slapped a mining pick in her hand and sent her to strike the earth until she gradually build up her toughness and was able to withstand the constant pain and care for herself and her child.

I totally celebrated, and built her a big room and kept her retired from the military, and she was elected mayor.

Soon after this a different dwarf committed suicide, I really didn't see that coming and didn't know what happened to make her suicidal, I did some CSI work to find out.  She also lost her husband in the same battle as my first dwarf, and was also wounded, the difference was that instead of getting her eye ripped out, she got wounded in the gut and had a miscarriage.  Between the dead husband and the miscarriage, she committed suicide.  My jaw literally dropped for an hour after reading that.  I might have shed a tear, for the fact that I worked so hard trying to figure out how to keep one dwarf alive and off the edge of a cliff, but there was a similar story with a sad ending just around the corner that I might never have noticed.

Keep in mind I was playing this game for maybe a week by this time, so up until the end, I thought that the first dwarf just randomly gave birth during a fight, and that I just imagined it was due to the shock of losing an eye, so by the end of that episode, I realized that I just wanted to play DF forever.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2011, 06:28:16 am »

wait, they can have miscarriages?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming Dwarf Fortress Moments
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2011, 06:40:51 am »

I consider this lady a hero.  :)

This hero was slain in the very first ambush this fortress ever had. She got riddled with Goblin arrows before the first Squad leader smashed her head in with a silver maul. :( This Squad leader managed to escape afterwards. The Goblins attacked with two groups, lost five Goblins and killed two Dwarfs. Two other Dwarfs are resting their wounds.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:52 am »

My first Forgotten Beast left a thank you gift behind that didn't reveal itself until three seasons after I killed it. It started with a single death in the well room, then twelve more in a matter of seconds. The whole wing was quarantined and the dead were burned and memorialized. Twenty dwarves soon followed out of the forty or so that were quarantined, including the baron's first son. The baron began throwing tantrums and others followed suit, this lead to the creation of a fortress guard and the summary executions of seven dwarves.
Fourteen more died of the disease as riots broke out in the non-quarantined area, half the fortress guard was dead by the time a miner broke into the baron's apartments and murdered him, his wife and one of his remaining children.
As the rioters began to calm down, a single dwarf succumbed to the disease outside the quaritine. The baron's last child. The six remaining quarantined dwarves were starving to death by now and the riots were littered with occasional disease based deaths, not one willing to end the now unnecessary quarantine. On further inspection, 9 of the 26 dwarves left had family members, five were children and ten wouldn't survive long if they couldn't get medical attention.
I let the fortress run and it ended with a single child, aimlessly wandering through the corridors and actually passing into womanhood before going berserk.
She still haunts the ruins today, she killed my adventurer by scrating his hand off and strangling him to death.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2011, 08:48:51 am »

She still haunts the ruins today, she killed my adventurer by scrating his hand off and strangling him to death.
I find this the most heartwarming part of all.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:37 am »

Yep, physical injuries are likely to cause them. I have also reasons to wonder if just being attacked (but not actually injured), or even stress, may also cause one to miscarry.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

Yep, physical injuries are likely to cause them. I have also reasons to wonder if just being attacked (but not actually injured), or even stress, may also cause one to miscarry.
I think it's only getting hit in the gut.

"The -copper spear- hits the vagina in the head, tearing though the skull, and shattering the brain!"
"A tendon has been torn!"
"The vagina has been stuck down!"

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »

This is from my Lolumbom fortress story (link in my sig)

Well, I was attacked by like 8 Giant Badgers, went from 19 dwarves to 12. One of my war dogs was badly injured, and her master had died.
I just found out that this dog has been going back to her owner's body (which I left in the field in a pool of blood :(), which was touching.

But she was injured...so I slaughtered her...and carved her bones.
So I don't know if that qualifies, because apparently I'M heartless. :P

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »

But she was injured...so I slaughtered her...and carved her bones.
So I don't know if that qualifies, because apparently I'M heartless. :P
Heartwarming, right there.

Goodjob.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2011, 05:02:51 am »

I think it's only getting hit in the gut.
I'm not quite sure this is true. I happened to check my baroness' thoughts soon after she'd had a miscarriage, once. Granted, it was 40d so things may have been different, but my military was much too rad for her to ever have been in trouble.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2011, 07:26:14 am »

A lot of my Masons, whom I all had VERY strong feelings for becase they were building my MAGNIFICENT CASTLE all decided to catch the Forgotten breast version of the bubonic plague, and then EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE BODY PART WAS SWOLLEN AND ROTTEN. From the inside. And then the children caught it. And then the hunters. And then the peasants.

And by that stage, World War Tantrum. :(

I tried so hard to stop myself from crying :( "Oh, you know your son?" "Yes?" "Yeah he died. And his brothers died. And all his friends died. FROM THE PLAGUE. Also you're dying." :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:50:28 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12:31 am »

This moment is both heart warming and wrenching.

A forgotten beast (I think it was a leach) that had wings and breathed fire came into my fort. I thought "Ahh, it's no big deal!" as I did not notice it had wings. It flew into my walled farm and slew anything that came in there. My elite military group was sent to kill it but horribly failed. I think a wing got sliced off, though. I then sent groups of peasants to hopelessly fight the rampaging beast. None came back alive.

Soon, the horrible creature found its way to the stairs. It climbed up into the fortress and started to kill women, children and babies alike. I had no more squads left and the large amount of cave moss growing in my fort started to set alight. I thought this was going to be the end, but I sent one final group of peasants against the beast.

They cornered it and slew it.

[edit] Actually, they held it down long enough for it to die from it's own fire.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:46:27 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »

Not really moving,but I had a bookkeeper that always took a barrel with him when he was counting. I liked him :)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2011, 02:15:03 pm »

i had a dwarf girl that gave birth while on fire, and somehow the baby was ok, it died from thirst later on

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2011, 02:17:18 pm »

i had a dwarf girl that gave birth while on fire, and somehow the baby was ok, it died from thirst later on
!!Heartwarming!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8