Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Acopalypse looms nigh  (Read 3290 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: The Acopalypse looms nigh
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 03:39:28 am »

IMHO they went overboard with crudeness. Original duke was more subtle. Yeah there were strippers and you could use toilets, but it was nowhere near this Duke 2.0: Glorious Bastard.

Well I must say that I enjoy the moment when he kicks the boss eye (I judge by demo). Buuut... Well, I think my main complaint is that it looks like they used the "I am badass and I piss everywhere" theme as the main feature of the game, and everything else is a background. In the original, the main cool feature was the atmosphere of the apocalypse, and Duke was badass, but it was not the point of the game.

P.S. And the driving part is too arcade-like. And wow, 2 weapons? Oh come on, I want my huge arsenal. Duke was always about hauling a RPG and a machinegun with a pistol on your side, a devastator on your back and a shotgun across your chest :P.

I won't judge it until I try it. I am still happy that this game came out, at least some of the young generation will know who the Duke is :).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:42:07 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 03:48:10 am »

In its day, interacting with a map feature like pissing in a toilet was like, revolutionary. It kind of paved the way for bathrooms getting special attention in most games that could handle it from that day on.

So yeah it kind of seems like it's over-stating the point to turn that into some dominant theme in the game, like Duke is a roided out version of R. Kelly and has to urinate on everything. A sly nod to the whole urinal thing, like using them and Duke going "Damn, that's a sweet piss pot" would have been enough.

Maybe he's just secretly showing his age and his prostate is screwing with him.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 03:52:48 am »

Maybe he's just secretly showing his age and his prostate is screwing with him.
Probably. His age is also probably the reason why he can only carry two weapons and dosen't have the mighty boot anymore.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 04:00:53 am »

Meanwhile, if you want some Duke 3d, there's a great site :P

http://eduke32.com/

It should help those who wait.

P.S. I am not sure if the new one is better :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7i_v1a0m0

I think I would be happy if they've used the original map design. But yeah, everybody now wants huge landscapes and car driving :P.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:05:59 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 05:01:45 am »

One of the major things Duke Nukem 3D had that I have never seen in any other game since is this...

When you shot an enemy near a wall, blood splattered on the wall, and -dripped down it-.

Although the main attraction was really the multiplayer.  It was the first game that I played very heavily online.  The level design was really good, and fun for multiplayer, and there was a huge community of custom maps which really upped the replayability of the game.  I think I had like 300 custom maps downloaded for my Duke Nukem 3D back in the day.

My hopes for Duke Nukem Forever would that it would help bring the modding community back to the forefront of PC gaming instead of stifling it for the sake of being able to earn a quick buck by charging $15 for a map pack.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 07:36:07 am »

Oh snap, I cannot run it.

I have a pretty old system which runs Crysis on low-medium settings, and THE INTRO CREDITS take 40 min to load. I don't know.

My brother's quad core PC has 4-5 min loading time too. Soooo... I don't know how did they manage to make it, there's not a lot of destructible terrain or awesome graphics.

Could be because of the SKIDROW, but I am not going to buy it until I see someone with a system like me actually playing it.

P.S. Ah I see, it's because I have a single core PC.

Can someone with a single core PC say that they can run it? Or do you know someone who can? Because I would buy it, at least when I get my grand :P.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:39:35 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 11:01:19 am »

Just played through Episode 1 of Duke Nukem again with EDuke32. Nice effects to enhance the classic. Sorta like ZDoom. It was pretty fun. Nice to have access to tons of weapons for where the situation calls for it again. Kinda makes me want to play Doom as well again. Already beat Doom 1 Episodes 1-3, have yet to beat episode 4 (Ultimate) and TNT/Plutonia wads.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 11:10:51 am »

Now all we need is starcraft ghost, dungeon keeper III, and a good new sonic game, and the prophecy will be forfilled.

steam released a demo for it a couple days, ago.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 11:17:57 am »

Now all we need is starcraft ghost, dungeon keeper III, and a good new sonic game, and the prophecy will be forfilled.

steam released a demo for it a couple days, ago.

Dungeon Keeper, not Dungeon Siege.
Pages: 1 2 [3]