Advanced search  

Poll

Title

Tea
Coffee
Some magical third drink that slipped my mind whilst writing this
Both

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Tea or Coffee?  (Read 6789 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Tea or Coffee?
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 04:24:07 am »

I used to drink my tea super sweet, but as I've gotten older I've put less and less in. Now more than like, a small teaspoon and its' way too sweet for me. Goes double for ice tea.

Gotta have the half and half for my coffee though. Milk just doesn't cut it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2011, 01:11:56 am »

Question for anyone who knows tea:

Pretty often, when I steep tea, it just turns out too bitter. I'm talking black tea here, and decent enough brands (e.g. Twining's English Breakfast tea or something, especially the stronger ones like that). I use boiling water and only steep for something like 3-4 minutes, but it winds up with this back-of-the-throat bitter aspect to the flavor far too often. Am I steeping too long, or what? I don't think I am, but I could be mistaken.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2011, 01:16:16 am »

3-4 minutes? Jesus Christ. I know I steep for about 30-60 seconds, I have no idea about the norm.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:37 am »

Eh, that's normally what it says on the bag. 30-60 seconds sounds way too short.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2011, 01:35:42 am »

Tea. Preferably green; Wawa's is okay for a quick fix, though I absolutely love Arizona. Need to find a decent hot green tea, but it's starting to warm up so I'll have little use for it now.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2011, 01:39:39 am »

Also this stuff, which I get from the local Trader Joe's sometimes, is absolutely delicious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a perfect outdoor drink during summer. The fact that it's unsweetened actually helps, because you don't feel like you're drinking candy. It's really refreshing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2011, 01:45:27 am »

Pretty often, when I steep tea, it just turns out too bitter. I'm talking black tea here, and decent enough brands (e.g. Twining's English Breakfast tea or something, especially the stronger ones like that). I use boiling water and only steep for something like 3-4 minutes, but it winds up with this back-of-the-throat bitter aspect to the flavor far too often. Am I steeping too long, or what? I don't think I am, but I could be mistaken.

This may just be Twinnings and a lot of English-style teas. When it steeps too long it kind of dries my mouth out and leaves a metallic after taste.

Darjeehling (sp?) is a lot milder of a tea, but you can let it steep for a while so it's robust like an English tea. (Or just use two bags.) I personally prefer Darjeehling to English teas now, if I have my choice.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2011, 01:46:55 am »

Yeah, it could just be a characteristic of some of the stronger teas I make. I certainly don't notice it nearly as much with Earl Grey, even from the same company. Speaking of which, Earl Grey kicks ass. Real smooth.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2011, 01:52:44 am »

Question for anyone who knows tea:

i'd say the problem is in the boiling water, let it cool down for 2 minutes after it boiled. the perfect temperature for tea i heard is 70Cº, (100 being the boiling temperature of water). i never actually measured the temperature of the water, but this way has been working for me. also i don't let it steep for any specific amount of time, i use loose leaves and leave them there, the taste may vary depending on how long they've been there but even when i leave them overnight the tea never gets bitter.

even with rooibos, i usually take the water of the stove before i add the leaves. i heard rooibos should be boiled for a few minutes, but i can't bring myself to do it, it feels like i'm making soup

and i also go with darjeeling

Hrv123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »

Coffee, 0,5 L... mug, no shugar and only tiny drop of milk. 
Three times a day minimum, use around 300g per week.

Tea... as an refreshing warm winter drink is nice but coffee is fuel for the day.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]