Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I want to make tiger men servants.  (Read 1803 times)

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make tiger men servants.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »

A docile beast that has developed sentience. By appealing to its instincts, can be tamed.

^ Probably stinks though.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »

It's okay, but we're talking about a whole new breed of tigerman, which only appearences are as pets or servants.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 01:40:21 pm »

I recommend making a "tigermen" Caste, rather than species, as part of the "dwarf" race. That would trick the game into getting them to work as workers, and the caste can have [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] too

If you don't want to get then as immigrants as well as pets, then you can give the Caste a low or zero POP_RATIO

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Caste
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:43:07 pm by Reelyanoob »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »

I've already made it. I'm just thinking of a description now.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »

Currently, the only way to have more than one race in your fort is to use this plugin, Dfusion. This plugin allows you, the user, to set the sentient races that can migrate to your fort; it is very fun. I once had a fort that had elven and goblin slaves, governed by a ruling party of dwarves, with human engineers and demon soldiers.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 02:03:18 am »

I have a question about tigermen too. in my current game i have a hero tigerman who slayed 6 or so goblins (bet them with a sock or strangled to death, tigerman seem to like humilating their enemies more than killing them), and i'd like to let him make his way from being an elven slave to one of the greatest dwarven warleaders.
So far i only tried removing [PET] tag, which made him a citizen of my civ and allowed me to view his thoughts, preferences and to assign him jobs. However, he never does and never even cancels any job (which i think implies they are never generated for him) and i can neither draft him to the military nor assign him as a noble.  he lists in the unit screen among the dwarves, but has a profession "Stray Tigerman Weaver (Tame)"

Is there anything else i can do without third party tools? if not, will that DFusion thing help me?

Nomalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:47 am »

I remember in 40d that other civs needed to be able to have access to certain jobs or you would get screwed if you attempted to play them, not sure if that has been changed with the 31 series, might have to poke around the raws a bit.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »

Nanomage, I dl'd DFusion, and it has a util called "Friendship" which loads a race list and makes them able to work. Tigermen are already included in the default list btw.

I played around quite a bit with the tags like you did, but was never able to get the game to recognize any non-dwarf as proper labour.

I'm playing with the defs for the Dwarf race tonight, for my "Dwarven Slavery" mod idea, made Castes for Male_slave and Female_slave. I made no changes to the civilization entity. The new castes are untermensch, pack animals/wagon pullers/pets, hunting/war trainable, and the other dwarves will butcher, tan, cook and eat them :o. They can be ordered and bought in cages. I also gave those castes a mountain biome, so possibly getting wild mountain dwarves you can capture. And with all the dwarf tallow and dwarf leather around, I'm sure dwarf soap and dwarfskin trousers are just around the corner. There were some dwarf leather clothes among my starting gear.

They do befriend, marry, have kids with the other dwarves though, so they or your "real" dwarves can tantrum if they get butchered. In testing tonight, I had 2 of my starting 7 go insane within the first year due to this. This relects Stockholm / Lima Syndrome in real life, so it's actually pretty realistic. Basically not every dwarf can deal with running a dwarf-butchery operation.

Unfortunately, it's still all a bit too buggy and weird for popular consumption. Ghosts are being spawned with no name - just "Ghost", even from the normal dwarves. Children are born to parents normally, but the child's thoughts say "He is the child of He" as the parentage. And the kids inherit the mother's (tame) tag, even though I'm pretty sure the children are being spawned with the default Male/Female castes (I gave the new castes a really low POP_RATIO). So, Dwarven law on this matter is of limited slavery. You may be a slave but your children are free-born (but still "marked" as to their mother's slave-status).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:53:27 pm by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 [2]