Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I want to make tiger men servants.  (Read 1804 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
I want to make tiger men servants.
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »

In addition to adding to making dwarves cold-hearted killers that eat elves and goblins, I want to add the [PET] tag to tiger men, I also want to make them [COMMON_DOMESTIC].

Where exactly are they in the RAWS?

Also, how would they operate? Would they automatically receive names? Would they breed? Would they gain friends, enemies, lovers? Will they do work? Will they need to eat? Would they apply for office? Gain power? Become the Alpha? Make a mandate? Ban an export? Lead an army?

Or, will they just be comforting?

Or would they not work at all...

EDIT: By work I mean operate, like being buyable and coming with migrants, and then being available for pet assignment.
EDIT EDIT: By the previous statement, I was refering to the second "Work" as found in "Or would they not work at all..."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:35:35 pm by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make tiger men servants.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »

They would be like dwarves, but would never work, and only use up resources. I've tried.

Same with all sapients/can_learns.

Maybe if you permitted slavery in the RAWs...

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:49:54 pm »

I thought only grazer pets had to eat...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »

Tigermen already have [PET] you just need [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to get them at embark.

they're in creature_savage_tropical.txt which i found using windows built-in search function (you have to search for a phrase in the files, rather than a filename). But they won't be workers. You could have them as bodyguards though. Add [TRAINABLE].

The only way I can think of to have working non-dwarves in the game alongside your dwarvs  would be to fake it with extra dwarven castes, but they wouldn't be "true" versions of those animals.

Funny enough, try taking the [PET] tag off an already-tame animal and you can set their labours like a dwarf, but they don't seem to be able to do any actual jobs. The closest I got was an Orangutan (from the elves), who I turned all labours on, and he gave messages "so-and-so unable to Fish" so he had some sort of labours being generated, but failing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:56:48 pm by Reelyanoob »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:45 pm »

I thought only grazer pets had to eat...
They count as people, so they have to drink water and eat meat.

They are [CARNIVORE]...

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »

Well, I s'pose they could be the backbone of my military... How do they do in combat?

Huh.. How do dogs eat?

I'm considering copying them, and making a "Tame Tigerman" race that don't need to eat. Is there any way I can make them available at embark and arrive with migrants without having them spawn in nature?

Or do common_domestic animals do that on their own?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

That's what the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag does, makes them available at embark, with immigrants and caged from caravans (even for sentient civ races). [PET] just makes them tamable. There's not much point copying the race, just mod the existing one. If you stop them appearing in biomes, then no civ can get them in the first place, I think.

You might try [COMMON_DOMESTIC] with [PET_EXOTIC], I'm not 100% sure but that might give you "tame" ones from civ sources while not allowing you to tame wild ones.

Actually, try running [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET] during worldgen, then editing to [PET_EXOTIC] in the save game. Not overly satisfying, but it would give you buyable Tigermen, but make "wild" ones non-tamable.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:08:10 pm by Reelyanoob »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »

No, I mean what can I do to keep them from spawning in the wild. Like cats, or dogs.

Does [COMMON_DOMESTIC] do that?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »

Well, horse spawn in the wild yet have that tag, so I'd say no

EDIT Ok i checked and Dogs and Cats lack BIOME tags, so do the changes as above, leave Tigermen as PET, and remove the BIOME tags
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:11:33 pm by Reelyanoob »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »

What makes cats not spawn in the wild, then?

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:11:01 pm »

Give the tigermen a biome that doesn't exist or something?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:15:14 pm »

[BIOME:ANYPLACE_WILDERNESS_ISNT]?

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:16:27 pm »

Copy the cat's biome info and paste it in the tigerman's. Maybe that works :3

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »

You missed my edit. There is NO biome on cats or dogs. So that solves the problem. Delete the tag.

That gives me the idea to PUT biomes on dwarves and elves, for "wild" ones.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:20:58 pm by Reelyanoob »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:13 pm »

Well, i'm now going to start work on project [TIGERMAN_DOMESTIC]

(Domestic Tigerman in-game)

Still thinking of a description, if you want to help.
Pages: [1] 2