Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: 0.31.22 changelog(and discussion too, aparently)  (Read 6701 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31.22 changelog(and discussion too, aparently)
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »

Has anyone established yet if hunting works in .22? In 40d my preferred embark was an empty wagon + 5 logs and 7 dwarves with no skills, running a hunter, butcher, tanner, leatherworker, bonecarver, plant gatherer and cook until the first migrants showed up. (This works because you can slaughter your two pack animals to make armor, a quiver, a crossbow & bolts). I made all the necessary gear and enabled the hunting labor on a dwarf but she just sat there milling around, even though there was a huge herd of warthogs right next to camp.  :(

If we really can make constructions out of clay, then that ought to eliminate the need for the extra logs, making a straight-up empty wagon start much less frustrating.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »

Hunting requires some form of weapon, I believe. No more wrestling your meals, so to speak.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2011, 08:32:09 pm »

Hunting requires some form of weapon, I believe. No more wrestling your meals, so to speak.

yes, I made a bone crossbow + bolts and a leather quiver. I've never successfully used unarmed, unskilled hunters and I would be shocked if anyone else has, since it' takes far too long for an untrained dwarf to catch and kill even a marmot, especially given that wrestling is so weak right now.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 09:21:33 pm »

I wonder what the fixes to glass were.
MAX_EDGE is now defined. See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3071

Is there a RAW?
What are the new values?

Just telling me 'LOL its SOLVED!" is useless and rude.

Sorry I left my "read Toady's mind" machine in my other jacket. Apologies I didn't know that pointing people at the information & letting them figure it out for themselves using their own brain was both useless and rude. I shall endeavour to do your thinking for you in future to avoid such unpleasantness.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:43 pm »

yes, I made a bone crossbow + bolts and a leather quiver. I've never successfully used unarmed, unskilled hunters and I would be shocked if anyone else has, since it' takes far too long for an untrained dwarf to catch and kill even a marmot, especially given that wrestling is so weak right now.
You probably did, but just in case ... verify the appropriate hunting jobs are enabled on your intrepid hunter! :D  (I spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out why nobody was training the dogs into war dogs until I remembered I hadn't made anyone an Animal Trainer yet  :o )
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2011, 11:58:09 pm »

yes, hunting was the only job she had enabled, although she didn't have any levels in it since she was an unskilled peasant like the rest of my dwarfs.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2011, 12:23:49 am »

yes, hunting was the only job she had enabled, although she didn't have any levels in it since she was an unskilled peasant like the rest of my dwarfs.

Did you create a militia commander and squad and define the crossbow as part of a uniform? Weapons reserved for military use will not be used for civilian tasks (even if your hunter is also your marksdwarf).

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31.22 changelog
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2011, 12:24:40 am »

War Honey Badgers, holy hell...

Honey Badgers are a creature so dangerous and aggressive that American zookeepers refuse to keep them.  The people who keep lions, tigers, wolves, and dolphins (which are pretty depraved creatures once you learn about them) refuse to handle these smallish bundles of fur and spite.
no kidding!

have you seen this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2011, 12:57:34 am »

Did you create a militia commander and squad and define the crossbow as part of a uniform? Weapons reserved for military use will not be used for civilian tasks (even if your hunter is also your marksdwarf).
Yeah, this.  You might want to check to make sure the hunters have bolts assigned (not that they exist, but that the hunter can use them ... I don't remember the key, but its the far right option in the [m]ilitary screen).

Also, double check the hunter has the crossbow and quiver (with bolts) in her inventory (use v > i)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2011, 01:16:04 am »

Anybody else unable to use the hotkey for slabs? (Crafting, engraving, or building them) or did I derp and somehow disable my alt-key?
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2011, 05:21:20 am »

Works for me. I've had to pacify tons of ghosts, lol. :P

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:40 am »

Yeah, this.  You might want to check to make sure the hunters have bolts assigned (not that they exist, but that the hunter can use them ... I don't remember the key, but its the far right option in the [m]ilitary screen).

Also, double check the hunter has the crossbow and quiver (with bolts) in her inventory (use v > i)

I tried starting with a dwarf with ambusher skills, and that seemed to work. However, he wouldn't hunt until an animal wandered near camp, even though there were tons of animals on the map. Didn't get to test it that much since he and everyone else immediately got torn to shreds by a honey badger :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011, 09:37:11 am »

Hunters need ammunition to hunt, if they have crossbows, and then you run into all that fun military stuff regarding bolts. I think they won't use anything but crossbows, but maybe there's a way of making them pick something else up.

Anybody else unable to use the hotkey for slabs? (Crafting, engraving, or building them) or did I derp and somehow disable my alt-key?
No, I've got to select it like the hotkey isn't there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:54 am »

0.31.23 is now out, so we may want a new thread.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:34 am »

LOL, already.  Wonder what changed.

*edit*

Nice, more hospital fixes and that squirrely up ramp thing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:43:36 am by white_darkness »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]