Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I butcher pets?  (Read 6232 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I butcher pets?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:17 am »

You should designate the pet in question to be pitted in 20-30z high chasm. It will explode on impact and then rot, leaving bones and other stuff, which may be usable.
just don't let your dwarves bury it.

You also might want to kill the owner first, i'm not sure if a pet animal can be pitted.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 07:04:18 am »

You should designate the pet in question to be pitted in 20-30z high chasm. It will explode on impact and then rot, leaving bones and other stuff, which may be usable.
just don't let your dwarves bury it.

You also might want to kill the owner first, i'm not sure if a pet animal can be pitted.
That will most certainly cause the owner to tantrum. Also, aparently the moody dwarf needs a whole mountain goat corpse, I don't know.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:28 am »

Your only option is to have the dwarf killed.
If the dwarf who owns a pet dies, the pet becomes a stray animal again although it will still be named. You can then mark it for butchery.
Any other method is going to take too long to get usable bones for your moody dwarf.

Quick & easy way to kill a single dwarf without the pets dying too would be to make a corridor 1 tile wide & about 10 tiles long. At the top end put a lever. Next to the lever put an upright spike trap using a menacing spike of as high quality as you can & the best material you can (steel > iron > bronze > copper). Link the lever to the floor spike & set the building profile of the lever so that only the dwarf you want to kill can use the lever. Next to the floor spike place a door, then a couple of tiles away from that door place another door. Make both doors "tightly closed" so animals can't get through them. e.g.

L = Lever, U = Upright Spike Trap, D = Door, # = wall (rock or constructed).

Code: [Select]
##########
#LUD  D
##########

Remove all labours from your victim then set the lever to repeat. When you see the dwarf go to pull the lever get ready to forbid the doors as the dwarf passes through them. You should end up with a dead dwarf on the left of the diagram but live pets on the right.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:19 am »

As you have found out, corpses of tame animals can't be butchered.  It doesn't actually matter if the corpse is mutilated or not.  The fact that it was a tame animal that died from some means other than being deliberately slaughtered by a butcher at a butcher's shop means that you can't use it for food or crafting.  Being a pet doesn't matter to that, being a pet just means that you can't designate the animal for slaughtering before it's butchered.

You need to either kill the owner, so that the animal will no longer be a pet and can therefore be slaughtered, or find some other animals.  I'm actually skeptical that the dwarf in the strange mood will only accept mountain goat bones - I've never seen a mood that required a specific type of bone.  Are you sure that's what he needs?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »

I just let him go insane because he wasn't really valuable anyways. I tried butchering one of every other animal I could get my hands on, but he didn't go for it. However, he liked mountain goat hooves and mountain goat teeth, so I am pretty sure that is what he wanted in the end.

Come to think of it, he might have wanted a specific type of gem, but I didn't have any fire opals either.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 04:03:45 pm »

For future reference, you can look at the contents of the workshop, compare it to the list of items being demanded, and then from that you can usually narrow down which item he's stuck on.  Dwarves always collect materials in the same order they demand them, so if a dwarf is demanding (for example) wood, body parts,and gems and he's collected wood but not any gems yet, then he's either stuck on body parts or needs more pieces of wood.  And body parts can refer to either bones, or shell, but I've never seen it be specific to a particular creature's bones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »

Also keep in mind that moody dwarves frequently require either silk or plant thread cloth [or both] and will not accept wrong category of cloth.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »

The only cloth I might not have had were some types of wool, but I didn't check (I bought all the wool the caravans had anyways cuz I'm butchering all the animals for FPS issues). He might have wanted shells, but IDK. He seemed to really like mountain goat parts. The dwarven caravan had just left and I bought anything remotely valuable off them anyways.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »

I make sure to trade for a bit of everything to deal with moods.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:34 pm »

I'll make sure to order some of each gem from now on (on top of all the metal bars I can get and some choice ores).
Pages: 1 [2]