Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I butcher pets?  (Read 6235 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
How do I butcher pets?
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »

I needed Mountain Goat parts for a picky moody dwarf, and it turns out the only 2 in my fort belong to another dwarf. I've tried designating them to be butchered, but I can't toggle it for any of the pets. How can I do this without killing the guy?

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I butcher pets?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »

Can't.

Gotta kill the owner.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »

I forget - would killing the goats with a spike or falling trap leave usable bits? That might work, if so.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:50 pm »

See : Blockedlance

Put several pet unpossable doors down a one tile wide hallway. At the entrance right before the door, add an upright spike/spear. At the end of it, add a lever connected to spear(s). Use workshop profiles and restrict lever to pet owners. Add "Pull the Lever R" job to lever. Watch animals dissapear.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

Couldn't you just use an animal that hasn't been adopted? Or even dwarfier, just dash out into the caverns/outside to kill an animal yourself?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

See : Blockedlance

Put several pet unpossable doors down a one tile wide hallway. At the entrance right before the door, add an upright spike/spear. At the end of it, add a lever connected to spear(s). Use workshop profiles and restrict lever to pet owners. Add "Pull the Lever R" job to lever. Watch animals dissapear.

Right, that will definitely kill the critters. The question is whether the resulting critter-bits can be butchered into bones and such.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »

i think they bury pets including body parts.
LOSING IS FUN!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:49 pm »

i think they bury pets including body parts.

This is my understanding as well. To the best of my knowledge, if you want to butcher pets, you first have to butcher the owner.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:39:02 am »

There is an unit setting that says not to coffinize pets, but I'm not sure that answers if you can butcher the corpse.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:11 am »

It seems it is Time for some !!Science!!. It will be hard to replicate because you would need a mood requiring body parts....

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 01:32:04 am »

Why would you need a mood involving body parts to find out whether you can butcher pet corpses? (And I'm pretty sure you can't, at least I can't even butcher stray animal corpses)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:48:27 am »

notice the lack of parts or corpse of any kind, all that's left is some blood...

edit, i forgot to check inside the spike trap

not sure a "Mutilated corpse" is useful for crafting of anykind
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:57:28 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:25 am »

I needed Mountain Goat parts for a picky moody dwarf, and it turns out the only 2 in my fort belong to another dwarf. I've tried designating them to be butchered, but I can't toggle it for any of the pets. How can I do this without killing the guy?

Your options are to hope that one goat gives birth very soon and that you can get bones from a Mountain Goat Kid (some small animals don't leave bones when you butcher them..), or let the dwarf go insane.
Pets, and assigned war dogs etc, can't be butchered no matter how they die.  I'm not even sure you could use their bones if you manage to separate them from the animal by force of gravity and leave them to rot.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:45 am »

Is there a caravan due soon? If you're lucky (lol) maybe one of them will have a goat. Maybe you can trick the dwarf with a different animal?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:03 am »

Unless the owner in question is really useful, you could kill him to supply the corpse the moody dwarf wants so he can become legendary at said skill.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.
Pages: [1] 2