Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How do you micromanage your huge populations?  (Read 4268 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: How do you micromanage your huge populations?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 11:46:22 am »

No, really. What are floors good for? It makes sense to put all that extra labour onto the construction of a walled city. We can't spare a stone for trade. I consider the mason corps a civilian branch of the military. They don't fight, but they certainly make a valuable contribution to our defense. Why would anyone want to get rid of stone?

I'm just saying that paved roads don't use up as much stone as the equivelant in constructed floors. When you've got over 12000 stones, you don't worry about running out. Seriously how can you run out of stone? Certainly building large overland constructions is great for defense, and I've noticed the more constructions you build the better your FPS gets (maybe by lowering the number of stones the game keeps track of or limiting pathing somehow, idk. I could be wrong, but I swear I've noticed it.)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »

It's actually the loss of stones, not the addition of constructions.  Each stone shouts "Do I need to be hauled?" and each dwarf shouts "No, you're worthless".  By removing the stones, either by building something, tossing it in magma, or just trading it away by the mountain-full, it removes one bit of FPS leech.  Considering a smallish 20x20 consumes 400 stones to work with, you can imagine that above-ground structures remove stone quickly enough.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

GodToady, there's got to be a better way of handling these materials.

Edit: Every object calls a function every turn!?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »

Not sure if it's every turn.  I've noticed a certain delay, especially when using Therapist.  It seems that certain jobs occur less frequently than every turn, and that whatever this interval is, it's only on these turns that calls are made.  Similar to the way manager orders are tossed around infrequently.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »

How do I manage large populations?

Answer: I don't. I'm not that crazy.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »

Get Dwarf Therapist, like now.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]