Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How do you micromanage your huge populations?  (Read 4272 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: How do you micromanage your huge populations?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:14 am »

More magma, more caged prisoners, more bodies...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:14 am »

I draft new immigrants with martial skills into the military.  I usually end up with several squads, separated into male and female groups.  I nickname the males "vikings" and the females "amazons" for ease of reference.  I keep them apart because I don't want them getting married (which happens a lot to soldiers in close proximity with one another).  The female soldiers tend to carry their babies with them into battle with distressing regularity, so I tend to use them only for duty inside the fortress itself.

The non-hunter and non-miner civilians, I also draft into military squads, but for the most part, let them continue on working regular jobs.  With training turned off in the military schedule menu, they train individually in their assigned barracks whenever they have nothing else to do, so I never have any idle dwarves. 

I also enable all jobs for everyone, and let them work on everything.  Once someone hits a high level of skill in a profession (master or better), they get their own workshop/bedroom/dining room unit.  Until then, everyone sleeps in one large room (though each bed is set to be a 1x1 bedroom).

The miners and hunters don't work well with the military for some reason.  I organize the miners into their own squad with no weapon assigned (they'll sometimes use the picks they're carrying if activated, but it's not reliable).  Hunters annoy me because they leave bolts scattered all around the map, so I don't use them.

So other than the few specialized crafters, I don't really pay attention much to what an individual dwarf is up to.  I tend to order all crafting through the manager screen.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:08:47 am by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:26 am »

Death rooms for when they get over 100 I like my fortress small, I could lower the pop cap put this way more fun it also help train doctors.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:19 am »

I keep them apart because I don't want them getting married.
The female soldiers tend to carry their babies with them into battle with distressing regularity, so I tend to use them only for duty inside the fortress itself.
How do your female soldiers have babies if they're not married?  :o

Scandalous  :-X

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:33 am »

You've got 80-90 and few idlers?  Shit, I've got like 60 and about 2/3 are useless.  They're just haulers, carpenters, and masons.  Quick construction effort, but otherwise pointless slobs.
I've had a 220 dwarf fort with <5 idlers constant.

Y'all are small time!

Granted, I'm down to 1-2 FPS, but I have something like 330 dwarves right now.  I shouldn't have adopted those tigermen, though.  They're breeding like crazy and slowly taking over the place.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 04:02:09 am »

always have quick reaction time on your levers.
THIS more than anything is a HUGE advantage.
nothing says "tighter response time" better than a huge wave of utterly useless migrants.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 04:04:15 am »

I only had to handle more than 90 dwarves once. About 95% of them were idle, because I was doing a complicated megaproject and needed to micromanage the lever pulling dwarf and the channeling dwarf completely.

The population had only increased so badly because I hadn't set a limit for children in the init file.

Anyway, nowadays, I have a reasonable maximum for children. And I prefer to embark with dead dwarven civilizations to avoid the hassle of the diplomat dialogues ("What can we offer you next year? Nothing?? You sure??? You REALLY sure?!?! Well, goodbye for now. Cya next year."). This approach might change if I actually give in and start a new fortress in the metal-sparse newer versions though.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:19 am »

Haulers, mostly to bring stones and the like to my construction sites so that my skilled workers don't have to walk far to get what they need.

I like building big wall and towers and large scale death traps. That would take ages if my masons had to get the stones themselves.

If you use haulers to do it, the haulers are always the limiting factor, no matter how many you have: the quicker they bring stones, the quicker the masons use them, and the masons are very quick indeed to build if the stone stockpile is right next to the construction site.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 06:57:34 am »

In my 31.18 fort  I got about 200 dwaves and about 60-80 idle but I get a lot of sieges,wolves,monkeys, etc which get them busy . I use axe dwarves which create a mess then I do massive dumping to the atom smasher.  I always find something new to dump/melt . due to the fact I got a big fps drop I always find things to do with the dwarves (33~ with OC37.5% 25~ without, I turned of temperature and I'm at low 40s).

I'm not very well organized but there is plenty of action to keep me busy . I'm currently  mainly concentrating on making lots of armor and weapons for new military units. I currently got about 12 archers and about 14 melee .   I'm messing with new versions now but I'm mainly practicing my aquifer breaching skills  ;).

Actually, I did have some medium project of rain collection facilities due to the hot weather (murky pool ->pump->room->hatch-> underground  reservoir) . I built about 4 such structures and I still need to connect one to wind power.
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:55 am »

If you really want to eliminate all idlers, stick them into farming(fields).
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:24 am »

Every now and then I like to wipe all my assigned labours and reassign them from scratch, taking into account skill development and demand. With about 80 dwarves, you really have only barely enough to cover each industry. You need more than a hundred to make sure everything gets done when you want it done, with enough haulers, cleaners and so on left over to keep the fort tidy. This is aside from having a dedicated military.

I've noticed most people seem to have relatively small forts. I prefer to have multiple workshops for every industry, and large but tight forts. If you think big, you won't have any problem finding jobs for everyone.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43:46 am »

Currently I have about 30 dwarfs in the military, with migrants taking the dead's place. Other than that I give them useful proffesions. When I run out of those I make them engravers/masons/architects AKA backup draftees. 80 dwarf pop cap with this. I usually don't mess with soap or potash or sand or ash or...
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 11:42:11 am »

Civilian labors on dwarfs are really easier to manage with Dwarf Therapist. Simple spreadsheet, all manner of sorting and finding.

Organizing your 4th or 5th military squad could be a real challenge slightly alleviated by the uniform feature. Choosing 10 dwarfs to go military out of 200, 3/4 of whom are already assigned to different squads to make civilians carry weapons, is not fun.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:23 am »

You've got 80-90 and few idlers?  Shit, I've got like 60 and about 2/3 are useless.  They're just haulers, carpenters, and masons.  Quick construction effort, but otherwise pointless slobs.
I've had a 220 dwarf fort with <5 idlers constant.

Y'all are small time!

Granted, I'm down to 1-2 FPS, but I have something like 330 dwarves right now.  I shouldn't have adopted those tigermen, though.  They're breeding like crazy and slowly taking over the place.
Start drafting females. (You can do that right?)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:17 am »

Well Dwarf Therapist goes a long way when assigning jobs to dwarves. I typically assign all of my migrants to a custom Hauler job and turn off hauling on everyone else. Typically 1/3 to 1/2 of my fort end up as haulers as I prefer a few skilled dwarves over a unskilled horde. Then whenever I need a new dwarf for a job I pick the best dwarf from the Hauler pool. Any migrant who shows up with better skills than my current dwarf replaces that dwarf.

I have an obsession with moving all of my stone out of the way so massive amounts of haulers are a must.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4