Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Forcing dwarfs to tear out their bones/skin  (Read 9828 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing dwarfs to tear out their bones/skin
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 05:44:05 pm »

I must say, I still find myself impressed by the sheer callousness of some of the things players propose dwarves do every now and then. 

"Hey, I need more bones, why don't I just rip my own arm off, fashion my radius into a crossbow, and then wait for myself to regenerate another arm?"
And dwarves don't regenerate arms-they only heal parts that are slightly harmed.
And this is a modding question.

A misunderstood, horrible idea that wouldn't work. Dwarfy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 06:18:59 pm »

Urist was taken by a fey mood!

I MUST HAVE BODY PARTS!

*spluuurcHAAAARGHGH*

I MUST HAVE PLANT CLOTH!

*Rrrrrip*

I MUST HAVE BONE!

*krrrrrruikRAAAKSPLURCH*

Urist has bled to death.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

I must say, I still find myself impressed by the sheer callousness of some of the things players propose dwarves do every now and then. 

"Hey, I need more bones, why don't I just rip my own arm off, fashion my radius into a crossbow, and then wait for myself to regenerate another arm?"
You know, I can totally see trolls doing that.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »

Shearing applies to tissues.  For those non-mod-divers, a body is essentially two parts.  It's a body shape, and a tissue collection.  The shape is things like upper body, lower body, legs, arms, eyes, heart, lung, and even teeth.  Then there's tissues.  An "Eye" is nothing, until a tissue template is applied.  As the Bronze Colossus shows, material doesn't have to match function.  An eye can be made of steel, the game just generates it as its told.  Whether it's an "eyes" or "something on the head" doesn't matter to the code.

Shearing works with tissues, not body parts.  So you can shear an eye, and you'll receive eye tissue, but the body part will remain.  I don't think this will produce eyes, but will produce some strange "Eye Fat" or something in the workshop.  The creature will still be able to see perfectly well.  You cannot shear off a limb, just gather the material that limb is made of.

As for attack types... I doubt it.  I think that shearing is handled similar to milking, in that it works off an arbitrary number that's assigned and does not have any impact on the creature.  So, shearing horns won't actually decrease combat ability.  This is unproven though, so if someone with a bit more !!Science!! wants to test sheared combat capacity...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »

Perhaps, when magic is implemented, we will be able to harvest happiness and love from our dwarves and sell that for darned into socks.

eh? eh? I'm walkin' on sunshine?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »

Dwarves will go blind if their eyes are destroyed, though. It's happened many times in combat. Even both eyes with a single crossbow bolt, which is quite impressive.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »

Even both eyes with a single crossbow bolt, which is quite impressive.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2011, 03:04:08 pm »

Dwarves will go blind if their eyes are destroyed, though. It's happened many times in combat. Even both eyes with a single crossbow bolt, which is quite impressive.

full original pic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36256.msg579509#msg579509
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:22:04 pm by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]