Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: undwarfly behaviour  (Read 1368 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
undwarfly behaviour
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:04:23 am »

so i have been playing a fortress recently where i forbid digging from the start. my dwarves are building above ground houses made of wood. my militia is clad in turtle shell armor and my militia commander has a migrant miners steel pick as a weapon. that miner happens to be bedridden due to a giant tiger attack. i have a few dead dwarves from that conflict in wooden coffins chilling in my dormitory, since they had to be built indoors and i dont have many rooms yet. thoughts?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: undwarfly behaviour
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:24:29 am »

Will you allow for use of anything metallic acquired from caravans/ambushes?

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:03:24 am »

I did this too but I allowed digging in soil. It's too much work to make all that stockpile space otherwise. So each workshop would have a basement with a relevant stockpile.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:39 am »

I think i might try this once my current fort gets it's final verdict. Just a few more upright spike traps to go.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:32:40 pm »

I did that once.  In an elf town.  I basically cut down all their fucking precious trees around them and built a giant wooden Raynard first floor for bedrooms (which was a BITCHHH to designate), stockpile second floor, workshops third floor, noble level and etc fourth floor.

Then once everything was done a few in-game years later, I unleashed HFS on the elves and holed up in the tower.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:34 pm »

Building all the walls is a real pain.  It sure would be nice if you could mouse paint walls the same way you can paint designations.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

Building all the walls is a real pain.  It sure would be nice if you could mouse paint walls the same way you can paint designations.
At least you no longer have to designate walls one fucking tile at a time. THAT was a real pain.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:07 am »

ill definitely trade for metal items, and my first caravan arrived :)
i thought making a fortress out of glass would be fun too.
id been working on ice, but for some reason i cant seem to load the fort
then there's obsidian and perhaps the toughest of all, metal. that could take a lot of sieges.
of course, all of those i would do without imposing a digging rule
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:18:47 am »

Make Wooden crossbows and tons of wooden and bone bolts,  trade for some stone for mechanisms, use pumps to make a drowning device possibly assisted by spike traps to "persuade"  any invaders to part with their metal objects.  Unusable metal weapons should go into weapon traps.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<