Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your favorite underrated or poorly known tabletop RPGs  (Read 8353 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite underrated or poorly known tabletop RPGs
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 02:59:19 pm »

Here's my recommendations.
1. Paranoia, The second P&P I got and the first I actually managed to play.  It's completely wonderful.
2. Maid Rpg, This unexpectedly has much the same competition based game play as paranoia but with an extremely different mood. 
3. Shadowrun.  I've got 4th but never manage to play it as it's too complex for me to GM without really playing it first and I've never found a group running it.

4. Wheel of Time Rpg, I got this as a kid and enjoyed it as an additional resource book for understanding the series.  Frankly I'd love to actually play it but I've never found a sufficient cross group of people who read the series and had an interest in table top games.

Upcoming.
I'm really hoping Tenra Bansho Zero turns out good as I'm planning on getting it.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »

I'll also mention the Dresden Files RPG.  It's got a nice system.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences with it. I'm trying to get a game up and running in boston, and while I've run a bit of spirit of the century (same publisher, similar system) I'm a bit worried about how lethal the system looks.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences with it. I'm trying to get a game up and running in boston, and while I've run a bit of spirit of the century (same publisher, similar system) I'm a bit worried about how lethal the system looks.

Dresden Files is about as far from lethal as you can get from a system.

Lets take an average character, has 3 boxes of Physical Stress and no special qualities (such as regeneration or toughness--toughness grants more armor, and regeneration means wounds only need time to heal and heal faster).

Put them in some armor and give them a hand gun and 2 ranks of guns.  Clone them.

Dude1 with gun shoots Dude2 with armor.

Dude1 rolls 4 dice* and gets ++o- (net +1).

Dude2 is taking a 1 (hits) + 2 (skill) + 2 (weapon) = 5 stress hit.  Dude2 is wearing armor (3) so is actually taking a 2 stress hit (Dude2 also gets a dodge, but I'm omitting that for brevity).  So he marks off the second stress box: ( )(x)( )

Dude2 returns fire (whom we'll skip)...

Dude1 shoots again, getting ++o- again, dealing another 2 stress hit.  Dude2's stress track already has the 2nd box filled, so he fills the third.  ( )(x)(x).  And returns fire.

Dude1 shoots again, getting +++-, doing 3 stress.  Dude2's box is already full, but he hasn't taken a mild consequence yet, so he does so, reducing the stress by 2.  He takes on the aspect** of "Sprained Shoulder" (which will heal by the scene after next, stress goes away between scenes) and marks off his first stress box (x)(x)(x) and returns fire.

Dude1 fires again and gets +---, doing 1 stress.  Dude2's track is full, and he's not willing to take a moderate wound (they several scenes to a full session to heal, if you get some medical care--serious take sessions to heal and the extreme wounds permanently effect your character).  So he opts to be taken out.  Dude2 isn't dead!  He's only out of the fight as he's not willing to risk his neck any farther.

*Dice are either +1, -1 or neutral, depending on the kind of dice your using.  I think the system intends for using d6s with 1 and 2 being -1 and 5 and 6 being +1.  But my group had a bunch of +/- arithmatic dice, so we used those (no +0 spots).  A character always gets 4 dice.

**Aspects can be called out using fate points (or avoided).  In this case, Dude1 could spend a fate point to gain a bonus against Dude2 by taking advantage of that shoulder.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:16:51 pm by Draco18s »

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »

I'd have to say something like Cthulhutech, or Scion.

Cthulhutech is basically Lovecraft mixed with anime, like NGE.

Scion is basically, if you took American Gods, the real world and Exalted then mixed them together.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 12:41:34 pm »

Scion is basically, if you took American Gods, the real world and Exalted then mixed them together.

Scion is "do you want to play Xena?  Here!  Here's the Hero book.  Want to play Hercules?  Here's the Demigod book.  Is that not enough for you and you want to play Zeus?  Sure!  Here's the God book."

It's entirely possible to move from one book to another (becoming a demigod is a ton of exp, but is listed).  Entire years-running campaigns can be run using one book.

A friend of mine ran the most epic game ever: "Scion, Hero to God in 11 weeks."  At the end of it they caused Ragnarok.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]