Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: removing submerged stairs  (Read 390 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
removing submerged stairs
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:57:04 am »

so i tried to channel through a stairway. big mistake. the dumb as a bag of wet hair dwarf literally walked down the stairs into the water below and dug out the way he came in. i tried building some stairs for him to escape but needless to say it was too late. he won the darwin award. now i have 1 miner left and i am wondering how i can remove these stairs without further lemming dwarf suicides. i cant suspend a construction over the stairs since its impossible to build anything there, as far as i know.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: removing submerged stairs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:07 am »

Try using the burrow to restrict your miner to go down the water. But first be sure you have some spare picks so you can continue mining even if your miner dies.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:57:50 am »

Try using the burrow to restrict your miner to go down the water. But first be sure you have some spare picks so you can continue mining even if your miner dies.

Won't work - dwarves don't obey burrow restrictions when choosing where to perform a particular job. For example, if you designate a wall for digging and the tile immediately to the left is not included in his restricted burrow, the miner will stand there anyways and repeatedly cancel the digging job due to being outside of the burrow.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

To my knowledge, you can't remove submerged stairs. You'll need to temporarily pump the water around the area away so the dwarf has some dry land to work with... but then he'll have to be sacrificed anyway. You cannot remove stairs or ramps from the z-level above.

Now, you can destroy those stairs via a cave-in... assuming they're not constructions. Since you were using miners, they're naturally dug out right? Then simply arrange for a cave-in somehow and bomb those stairs from above.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.