Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unfreezing a brook...  (Read 2707 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Unfreezing a brook...
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:00 pm »

So I put it to myself to try to keep my brook unfrozen year round. I dug out all under it and then filled said area with magma. Unfortunately, you can't dig out the edge of the map, and so the edge tiles on the brook still freeze. Since I have tapped the brook to create a waterfall in my fortress, this means the brook now slowly empties out during winter. Is there any way to melt the edges or otherwise keep the brook full during the winter and still flowing into my waterfall?

Aside from smoothing and fortifying the ice each year, of course.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Unfreezing a brook...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:40 pm »

Turn temperature off when the brook is unfrozen. Alternatively, pump the magma off-map directly above the source. You'll need to constantly replenish your magma reservoir when doing this.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »

If you cast an obsidian roof over a piece of outside, does it become inside?  As in, would you be able to create an insulating blanket over the brook's origin?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:05 pm »

No, once a tile has been exposed to the sun, it will always be above ground. Outside/inside has no effect on whether or not a brook freezes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:52:39 am »

Unfortunate limitations create epic solutions :)

You could create a huge reservoir near the beginning that fills while it's unfrozen, with a series of pressure plates in an underground offshoot from the river to detect when it freezes and begin pumping water from the reservoir into the stream to keep it going. A similar series of pressure plates could be used to turn the pumps back off when it unfreezes.

I love excuses to use mechanisms.

-oso

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:40:42 am »

Unfortunate limitations create epic solutions :)

You could create a huge reservoir near the beginning that fills while it's unfrozen, with a series of pressure plates in an underground offshoot from the river to detect when it freezes and begin pumping water from the reservoir into the stream to keep it going. A similar series of pressure plates could be used to turn the pumps back off when it unfreezes.

I love excuses to use mechanisms.

-oso
Sigged.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:07:10 am »

I think we've determined the proper solution to the problem, ThrowerOfStones: Build a fully automated auxiliary water-sourcing system.  It's really the only solution which will not require any further input from you to keep working, and it is also awesome.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."