Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water falls of blood and other related things  (Read 1913 times)

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water falls of blood and other related things
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:03:22 pm »

So, I had the common problem of large numbers of stray animals (Frame rate drop), and insurficent crossbow bolts.
Designating animals for slaughter is a bit of a pain so, i though:
"I'll build a stair, 7 tiles up into the sky, designate a pit at the top, and put a weapon trap underneith. next to my butchers shop."
So i do that and all is more or less well.
The dwarf cart the animals up the stairs, and drop them.
I got a number of kill messages.
Deaths by falling,
Deaths by coliding with an object,
deaths by weapon trap.
and 1 death by strangulation.  (i'm not sure why i got this one)

Now, most of the corpses were unfortunatly rendered unsuitable for butchering. but that's Ok, some where till good, i'm not sure why.
I haszard to guess the deaths by collsion with an object didin't mangle the corpse, and the stranulation defn atly didn't).

Now I'm wondering if the death be collision with an object was not, from coliding with the ground but from having the next animalk fall untop of them.
If this is the case then handily,  i should be able to slay my enemies by droipping cows etc on them. Has anyone tried this?

Also
killing animals in this way makes masses of blood, so i though, if i replaced the weapon trap with a floor grate, or (or put the floor grate up a few Z-levals, to allow for greater spead), I copuld make it rain blood.
Now while all dwarfs would appriciate the raining of blood (all the better if it is from caged elves), i doubt it will generate the "Pleased by a waterfall" happy though, as blood is a contaminant not a fluid. It will however pleasently coat all passing dwarves with wonderful fresh blood.

Finally:
I can designate a pool instead of a pit at the top, and hten I could isntruct for it to be filled with water,
Would i get a bucket brigade, waterfall this way?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Water falls of blood and other related things
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »

Finally:
I can designate a pool instead of a pit at the top, and hten I could isntruct for it to be filled with water,

Not much of one.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »

I think the strangulation was caused by one of the creatures surviving the initial impact but their throat was crushed, so they suffocated shortly afterward.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

Colliding with an object = hitting the ground.

Dropping stuff on enemies will only coat them with blood and gore, not do any damage.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:06 pm »

So, I had the common problem of large numbers of stray animals (Frame rate drop), and insurficent crossbow bolts.

Are you familiar with wood and metal bolts?
Did you know you could very quickly mark butcher on animals from (z)-(enter)-(b)?
"I'll build a stair, 7 tiles up into the sky, designate a pit at the top, and put a weapon trap underneith. next to my butchers shop."
Deaths by falling,
deaths by weapon trap.
As cool as that might have seemed, horrible idea. 1) 7 stories is FAR too many. 2) Weapon trap was far worse of an idea. 3)The strangulation death was from when an animal got its lungs or throat damaged, and couldn't breath.
Now, most of the corpses were unfortunatly rendered unsuitable for butchering. but that's Ok, some where till good, i'm not sure why.
I haszard to guess the deaths by collsion with an object didin't mangle the corpse, and the stranulation defn atly didn't).
Of course they couldn't be butchered! I'm surprised any could.
Now I'm wondering if the death be collision with an object was not, from coliding with the ground but from having the next animalk fall untop of them.
If this is the case then handily,  i should be able to slay my enemies by droipping cows etc on them. Has anyone tried this?
No. Collision is slamming into environment.
Also
killing animals in this way makes masses of blood, so i though, if i replaced the weapon trap with a floor grate, or (or put the floor grate up a few Z-levals, to allow for greater spead), I copuld make it rain blood.
Now while all dwarfs would appriciate the raining of blood (all the better if it is from caged elves), i doubt it will generate the "Pleased by a waterfall" happy though, as blood is a contaminant not a fluid. It will however pleasently coat all passing dwarves with wonderful fresh blood.
Blood isn't actually a fluid in DF, in the same way booze isn't. It has no hydromechanics. So, as neat as some of that stuff may seem, can't be done. No blood mist, no self powered movement, nothing. But, it can be stored in barrels and sold/drank if your dorfs get desperate.
Finally:
If your dorfs could dump fast enough, yes.

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SKIM OVER YOUR POST FOR SPELLING ERRORS!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Richard Nixon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:08:28 am »

But, it can be stored in barrels and sold/drank if your dorfs get desperate.

How do you manage to do that?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:16:16 am »

But, it can be stored in barrels and sold/drank if your dorfs get desperate.

How do you manage to do that?
I know it can be bought. I'm pretty sure if it needs to be cleaned up, and you have an empty barrel, or an unfull barrel of the same type of blood, bam, barreled blood.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:22:58 am »

oh look, it's this thread again

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 12:52:50 am »

Did you know you could very quickly mark butcher on animals from (z)-(enter)-(b)?
Deaths by falling,
deaths by weapon trap.
As cool as that might have seemed, horrible idea. 1) 7 stories is FAR too many. 2) Weapon trap was far worse of an idea. 3)The strangulation death was from when an animal got its lungs or throat damaged, and couldn't breath.
Of course they couldn't be butchered! I'm surprised any could.
No. Collision is slamming into environment.
Also
Blood isn't actually a fluid in DF, in the same way booze isn't. It has no hydromechanics. So, as neat as some of that stuff may seem, can't be done. No blood mist, no self powered movement, nothing. But, it can be stored in barrels and sold/drank if your dorfs get desperate.
Finally:
If your dorfs could dump fast enough, yes.

Also, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SKIM OVER YOUR POST FOR SPELLING ERRORS!

Oh dear Lord, are we feeling a tad bit grumpy this morning? Why don't you report to the lovemaking site for a quick mood rebalance? *wink* *wink*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:36 am »

There is unfortunately no way at the moment for your dwarves to store blood in barrels.  You can buy barrels of blood, but you can't take blood from the floor or from animals and put it in a barrel.  Barrels of blood are currently useless, although you can add the [EDIBLE_COOKED] tag to the material default raw file for blood to make it an ingredient in cooking.  When dwarves clean blood off the floor, the blood simply ceases to exist.

I have also determined through experimentation that pools of blood do not obey gravity.  Not only don't they fall through grates, I have even seen them floating in midair unsupported.  Flowing water will push blood sideways, but not downwards.  It's very strange and somewhat frustrating.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:02:42 am »

Oh dear Lord, are we feeling a tad bit grumpy this morning? Why don't you report to the lovemaking site for a quick mood rebalance? *wink* *wink*

Yes. Why are he so easily irritated?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:11 am »

For a forum with so many non-native English speakers I'm really surprised and saddened this kind of flame is so frequent.  I bet the OP's English is much better than the flamewriter's German/Russian/Finnish/Japanese/Whatever.

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46:52 am »

Wow, people seem grumpy here.
Maybe it's just me, internetting at the end of a long day, and over judging.

Also

I see this in my post, blood is a contaminant not a fluid.

Yes, of coarse.
However wood is at a massive premium, as this is a mountain map.
I get dwarve traders only once in the history of the fort (It has 100 dwarves, it's getting of reasonable age)
I've had human traders once and they have declared war on me, \
So wood by trade isn't an option.
I will be expanding out into the Caverns soon, but am yet to get round to it.
All wood is needed for beds just now.
Metal is not so hard, my 4 smelters are all occupied with the steel making industry,
though i will shortly be constructing additonal for the processing of Humanite.
(though this will strain my coke stocks futhur).
I'ld prefer to save the metal bolts for combat, rather than training, in any case.

I think it was 5-7 stories, I had 3 or 4 and it wasn't enough.
Thinking now, 4 might be a good number - large nonlethal damage, and without the weapon trap, they will "bleed out", leaving butcherable corpes?
though reading there is a way to designate sluaghter from the Z menu, which makes this little but a novel way of killing things.

Colliding with an object = hitting the ground.

Dropping stuff on enemies will only coat them with blood and gore, not do any damage.
I suspected this was the case.
wishful thinking on my part.
Ah well future, versons maybe.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »

I dunno about the "colliding with an object": I'm pretty sure I dumped a Troll onto another and the announcement said it smashed into the other Troll...

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »

I once had the idea of a fortress with a large, cylindrical tower on the surface, with two reservoirs on top. One would be fed by pumps constantly and feed a central waterfall. The other would be filled once, then filling would stop. For the rest of the year, a team of 7 Priests of Armok would drop kittens off a short tower into the water to bloody the reservoir. On the Feast of Armok, 6th of Galena, the reservoirs would switch and the waterfall would turn to one of blood, bones and fresh kitten corpses for a few seconds. Then the reservoir would run out, be closed, filled, and again filled with blood and corpses for next year.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...