River
- 18 (10.8%)
Lake
- 2 (1.2%)
Ocean
- 10 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Whats your favorite embark biome?  (Read 5132 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favorite embark biome?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »

Glad to see I'm not the only hippy half-elf. Actually I like deforestation rather than actual forests, but you kinda need forests to deforest in the first place. :D

I tried a good forest recently. All my dwarfs are now eating Unicorn Roasts. So that's awesome.  I'd like to see snow in winter though so I may try a more northerly area next time.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »

I mostly pick forests due to the abundance of wood, outdoor building space, and usually a brook. Occasionally, though, I like to go with a classic mountain fort, or a desert/tundra fort for fun.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

Flat open spaces, usually forests because charcoal doesn't make itself, but sometimes deserts too.
Also when I find one I will embark on a 2x2 of at least 3brook or stream sources, it makes for a very interesting top layer.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

Forests. Elves then hug the trees. Dwarves industrialise the trees. In my case, I always need more barrels/bins and PEARLASH.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:51 pm »

I'm disturbed at all of the forest lovers here.   :o

you obviously see it the wrong way, noone likes the forest on an elvish way. its more about clear cutting and makeing a neat industry out of it ;) mostly to piss of the elves (or just not caring about them)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:59 pm »

Yeah, exactly. Featherwood bins, barrels, and beds all rock. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

Personally, I like embarking at the foot of a mountain with a forest below, so like a 50/50 mix of forest and mountain. Medium savagery and medium evil is good for me, though I take low evil and same savagery if I can get it. Also, I have a weird problem where I can only have my entrance facing east, with the fortress trailing off to the west, otherwise it just feels weird and I can't play. This narrows down my possible sites a hundredfold and is seriously annoying.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:10 pm »

I used to go with the mountain forest split, but now I have begun using glaciers for the icy goodness.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »

Forest with some small hills and possibly a brook/river.

Surprised about the number of glacier lovers.  I might try to play a cold/freezing biome for more than 10 minutes next time.
Worship!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 07:07:35 pm »

Doesn't matter where I embark, because after five to ten ingame years, the landscape always looks like it's catched some horrible disease, with everything covered in aboveground farms, windmill parks, and excessively layered fortifications.

Otherwise, Shrugging McKhan likes Oceans for their being special and Deserts and Wastelands for being spacious. Everything else ends up looking as if english industrialisation came down upon it.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »

Depends on what I'm planning on doing, and if I have magma.

If I have magma, then wood isn't a major concern, and rock dominates the landscape more than wood. However, if I lack magma, then heavily forested is my primary goal to seek.

How else was I able to construct such a massive wooden ship to ply the skies? I needed the means and material (and a ton of area to work in).

And if I seek a greater challenge, a coastal or water-dominant location. I'm still not entirely familiar with dealing with aquifers.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:00 pm »

I voted mountain because that's my ideal for a Dwarven fortress.  Practicality requires other biomes mixed with mountain, not least because the game won't allow embarking on nothing but mountains unless you use an add-on program.

In 40d my best fortress was a 3x2 fortress on a 50:50 mix of mountain and flat, slightly wooded grassland, with a brook through the flat part and a volcano in the mountain at slightly below ground level for the forest.  I was able to build a fortified courtyard against the face of the mountain, pipe water in for a moat and for fortress supply, and access the magma quite close to the other workshops and only a couple of levels down.  I carved a tower of bedrooms up from the entrance level, behind a large dining area, with the tombs at the top of the mountain.  It was beautiful.  There was also sand, which in that version came with aquifers, and even often swamps, because sand is classed as having poor drainage.  In this case there were no aquifers for some reason.  Two other favorites were a seashore arctic location with a volcano, and a two-level forested site with a brook and a volcano.  I was able to get water from the aquifer for the arctic fortress, by using the will to desalinate the water.

In 31.x I'm not sure yet what biome I like best.  The terrain isn't quite like 40d, not even counting the caverns.  My most recently successful fortress has a brook that freezes only in one patch of mountain terrain, and not on either side where there is forest.  It then goes over a waterfall into grassland.  All of this in a 3x3.  Volcanoes seem to be useless at best.  Brooks which drain into ocean occasionally show up as saltwater, even if they are elevated from the saltwater swamp level for part of the map.  Wells don't de-salinate anymore so a pump is required very soon in the fortress development if all of your water supply is salty.  Sand isn't necessary for minor usage because you can buy it from caravans, though, so I can stay away from swamps.  Because the underground farming requires irrigation, I feel that I can't afford to be without flowing freshwater.  After some experimentation I have basically avoided using the caverns unless I really have to go there for necessary material (such as gems for a mood), in which case I disarm all the normal baddies in the raws and hope I can either develop military or seal off the caverns before a forgotten beast arises.  Without volcanoes and the caverns, fuel is required for the furnaces and forges.  I have modded the kiln to convert remains and useless body parts into charcoal.  Timber is still needed for beds, barrels and bins, but plenty of timber comes in on three caravans a year.  The wheel is still in motion as far as 31.x goes.  Who knows what will happen after sapping is added to the game?

I don't care much for glacier sites because I've never had good luck with them.  Temperate is fine with me as long as there isn't too much water to go through a freeze-thaw cycle.  That really adds a lot of lag in 31.x.  In 40d I like tropical moist broadleaf forest because I had modded in cacao bushes as a crop, but I have not messed with the crops in 31.x yet.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Austinthecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:04 pm »

I used to always start in forests, but now that I can get as much wood as I need from the caverns, I look for an interesting place in the mountains to embark.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:20 pm »

Wow, I didn't know forests were so popular!  Finding one that crosses over an aquifer-free biome, typically mountain, is best.  Sand somewhere is just glassy icing on the cake.
Speaking of glass, deserts, edging on something more habitable, are also wonderful if they have a source of near-surface magma.  Giant glass towers for everyone!
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 07:40:41 am »

I like forests the best... but the more I think about it, ti's only because I'm a lazy sob that doesn't want to bother with 2000 floors of magma pumps.
If I can find a volcano I'll go anywhere.

Even better, a volcano next to a forest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]