River
- 18 (10.8%)
Lake
- 2 (1.2%)
Ocean
- 10 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Whats your favorite embark biome?  (Read 5135 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favorite embark biome?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 05:30:34 am »

1.../11111/?????!?!?!?!!! DWARVEN SWEAT ERROR!!!!?!???!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!-

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 05:51:21 am »

I like forests, because I always seem to be short on wood if I start anywhere else. Hills are nice too, for building hilltop forts. And I always start near a river or brook for water and fishing.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 06:52:18 am »

I miss "Volcano" on the list.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 07:29:36 am »

I always pick part mountain, part  forest, and part river/lake/ocean bioms for my embarks.  I look for high cliff faces so I can dig up.  Rivers are more desirabe than brooks for me for the fish.

My single favorite biome is mountain.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 07:31:25 am »

another taiga here... i love it then it snows in winter (or the whole year :D) preferable the taiga itself or one of the adjacent biomes is evil
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 09:25:07 am »

Half and half taiga and tundra.  I get an empty area free of trees to work with and all the trees I need.  Plus I love the snow and the cold.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 10:16:47 am »

I'm very fond of glacier + ocean biomes.

Or just ocean biomes.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 11:52:56 am »

Swamps, because flat + lots of trees + lots of shrubs = easy surface fort.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »

I don't even care that much anymore, I'd rather do all my pet collecting and wood cutting in the underworld. :)

I sort of like it when I can build on the edge of mountains and have some nice discrete hills to build inside.

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 04:06:15 pm »

I'm a little surprised by all the glacier lovers here. Maybe I'll have to try it with my next fortress.
I mostly end up playing on mountain forest splits. But I really love squeezing as many biomes as possible into one embark area.
I think my ultimate ideal would be a river cutting through a mountain to enter the ocean with a hot joyous wilds grassland in one corner, with forest, swamp, and glacier covering the rest, with at least one of those being terrifying.
Hmmm. Maybe some day soon I'll turn climate variance to max and try and create a world with something like this.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »

I'm disturbed at all of the forest lovers here.   :o

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »

In 40d it's terrifying glaciers. Just because it's amusing, and I play with the Dark Dwarves mod, for all the shiny extra Ice reactions. I just love having traders enter my Stygian Ice Block Trade Depot, and see the souls of the last fools to anger me trapped in the ice beneath their feet... it makes me giggle.

For .31 i've not really made my mind up yet. Until I've gotten a chance to play a couple of fortresses I'm just going for forests for the extra wood and plants. Well, at least until i strip the map bare anyway
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 04:27:48 am »

Where possible I like to embark on a glacial volcano and trade electrum crafts for wood
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 05:59:46 am »

I embark near a stream, mountain, and forest. That way, I can have all I need.
Except for coal.
Damn it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 09:18:47 am »

I voted forest. Specifically, tropical (moist/dry) broadleaf forest. Elephants ahoy!

Also lakes. All the fun of an oceanside fort with none of the hassles of salt water or waves!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3