Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water Bourne Diseases  (Read 2554 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Water Bourne Diseases
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:46 am »

That would be VERY possible!

Even more so by the fact that we can make parasites bite and inject poisons. The raws for cave spiders provide a good example of this. So you don't even need a contact poison, your deadly fish can be deadly on its own terms.

Awesome, I will go so if I can reverse engineer something from cave spiders and fish.

Good luck to you! And may your fish be swift and deadly!
If it helps, you can find worms in the creature_annelids file. They should make the body work a little easier.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:03:17 am »

I cannot seem to find cave spiders in the raws. I have never really looked for anything before. What file are they in?

EDIT: Found it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:05:08 am by stolide »
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:11 am »

I cannot seem to find cave spiders in the raws. I have never really looked for anything before. What file are they in?

creature_subterranean

About half way down.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:35 am »

Well you could have a reaction that turns microcline into *water* at a workshop, although if you don't care for microcline you could just make it melt into water at room temperature.

Problem is that then your miners will always be exposed, but not many other people.

Perhaps make a few parsites that live in water that have a contact poison.

Urist Mcfisherdwarf cancels fishing: Interupted by leechs.

;D

How hard would something like that be?

Nice thinking. And yet another way to deal with catsplosion through syndrome.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:56 am »

Protozoans, which are like really tiny critters, act as reservoirs for waterborne illnesses.  In fact, incidence of certain bacterial diseases can be reduce by simple filtration through old cloth since it filters out the protozoan.

Also, cats are are reservoirs for other illnesses (I'm terrible with names, if anyone is really interested PM me and I'll look them up in my notes).  A secretion from the mouth, perhaps, that would end up on killed critters and then get transferred to owners cleaning up after their pets?  Not strictly accurate for certain diseases, but the fecal/oral transmission route isn't currently possible in DF.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:57 pm »

Here is my first creature. I plan on also making leechs and teetse flies.

The harmless minnow:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suppose this makes harmless war minnows possible; a moat full of those things would be rather deadly...

Now to use this, can I just put it in a text file with the appropriate name in the raws? Will it just show up randomly, or is there something else I need to do?

Protozoans, which are like really tiny critters, act as reservoirs for waterborne illnesses.  In fact, incidence of certain bacterial diseases can be reduce by simple filtration through old cloth since it filters out the protozoan.

Also, cats are are reservoirs for other illnesses (I'm terrible with names, if anyone is really interested PM me and I'll look them up in my notes).  A secretion from the mouth, perhaps, that would end up on killed critters and then get transferred to owners cleaning up after their pets?  Not strictly accurate for certain diseases, but the fecal/oral transmission route isn't currently possible in DF.

Considering that I am a biology major, I should have thought of that. :P

EDIT: The leech:

EDIT EDIT: Cholera!

I believe that this means biological warfare is now possible. Water cannons filled with cholera sprayed onto enemies. Waterfalls of cholera!?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:02:10 pm by stolide »

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 03:27:44 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but this is really odd. None of the things I make seem to use their venoms... Even when I copy pasted the code from the giant cave spider into mine, it still does not seem to work. Any idea what would cause that?

Pages: 1 [2]