Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water Bourne Diseases  (Read 2568 times)

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Bourne Diseases
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:11:57 am »

I was looking at making some water bourned diseases as syndromes; how would this be done?

On reading the code of Lofn's black lung syndrome, I do not really understand how it works. The wiki was not really clear enough for me either.

Thanks in advance.
Under the somber sleep of stones, a star is snuffed by a candle.

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Water Bourne Diseases
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:14:19 am »

Basically they made a rock that is found inside coal veins with the same name as the rock in question, HOWEVER when mined, instead of giving a block of coal, it gives off a cloud of gas that causes the syndrome.

I don't think you can have a water born syndrome...

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:45 am »

Basically they made a rock that is found inside coal veins with the same name as the rock in question, HOWEVER when mined, instead of giving a block of coal, it gives off a cloud of gas that causes the syndrome.

Could you have a syndrome attached to water on contact, or something, with a very low probability of infection? That is perhaps a 1 out of 10000 chance of a dwarf drinking, or coming in contact with, the water?

Code: [Select]
SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:waterdisease]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
         [SYN_CONTACT]
         [CE_NAUSEA:SEV:50:PROB:0.01:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:START:100:PEAK:300:END:1200]
         [CE_FEVER:SEV:50:PROB:0.01:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:START:100:PEAK:300:END:1200]

I really am not sure what I am doing, but could something like that be attached to water?

As Urist McKant Said, "I must act according to the maxim such that I can will that maxim to destroy everything beloved to me at the flip of a lever."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:02 am »

Water is hard-coded, so I guess no.

And any water born disease should be called "soberness".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:59 am »

Could you have a syndrome attached to water on contact, or something, with a very low probability of infection? That is perhaps a 1 out of 10000 chance of a dwarf drinking, or coming in contact with, the water?

SYNDROME]
         [SYN_CONTACT]

I really am not sure what I am doing, but could something like that be attached to water?

IT IS POSSIBLE! But...not for normal water. You would need to add in a new substance like water, with the same name, but it would only form puddles, and so wouldn't be drunk, and sydromes could only be formed from contact.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:26 am »

SYNDROME]
         [SYN_CONTACT]

IT IS POSSIBLE! But...not for normal water. You would need to add in a new substance like water, with the same name, but it would only form puddles, and so wouldn't be drunk, and sydromes could only be formed from contact.

How would I go about doing that? Perhaps this new substance could be somehow added to stagnant water or something to make rivers and the sort a safer source of water.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:39:08 am »

Make a stone which melts when you mine it. It will leave puddles behind.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:39:28 am »

Well first you need a source for the water...

Problem is, to my knowledge, the only possible souses for things are animals, minerals and vegetables, but not much else.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

Yep, that's what I was meant. If you want an inorganic liquid, you have to make stone to transform into it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:21 am »

So could you have a reaction that turns a specific kind of stone into this poison when the stone contacts water? Who needs microline anyways? :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:35 am »

Well you could have a reaction that turns microcline into *water* at a workshop, although if you don't care for microcline you could just make it melt into water at room temperature.

Problem is that then your miners will always be exposed, but not many other people.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:00 am »

Well you could have a reaction that turns microcline into *water* at a workshop, although if you don't care for microcline you could just make it melt into water at room temperature.

Problem is that then your miners will always be exposed, but not many other people.

Perhaps make a few parsites that live in water that have a contact poison.

Urist Mcfisherdwarf cancels fishing: Interupted by leechs.

;D

How hard would something like that be?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:16 am »

That would be VERY possible!

Even more so by the fact that we can make parasites bite and inject poisons. The raws for cave spiders provide a good example of this. So you don't even need a contact poison, your deadly fish can be deadly on its own terms.

stolide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:59 am »

That would be VERY possible!

Even more so by the fact that we can make parasites bite and inject poisons. The raws for cave spiders provide a good example of this. So you don't even need a contact poison, your deadly fish can be deadly on its own terms.

Awesome, I will go so if I can reverse engineer something from cave spiders and fish.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:10 am »

Oh god, a paralyzing vermin fish >.<.

A bane of all swimmers. Just imagine that you swim and something tiny bites you and you're suddenly paralyzed and drown...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2